The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
Seems like you guys are just getting OLD, maybe let these YOUNG refs in that can "RUN" or be "mentally" able to handle a 2 man game. (not that hard....) I don't see any reason to have 3 officials. If the TWO officials are "on the same page" (so to speak) then they should be MORE than adequate.

Wow more than adequate, logically that means one official could handle the game.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

I have all but quit accepting 2 person Varsity games. I'll only take them with a very strong partner.

3 years ago, I thought most HS (frosh and JV) around here would be 3 person. With the budget situation, that's not happening anytime soon, though I don't expect things to go backwards.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:32pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
OT - I try not to think too hard about what I make an hour. I'll average ~$75 for working a G/B doubleheader (as low as $60 as high as $90 - and no gas $$). So say I make the 2+ hr trek each way to a small school in rural Iowa, I might net $10/hr... but probably not.
That's actually less than we make. (LA) The least I can get for a varsity doubleheader is $72. (3 man, $31/game, minimum travel $10 per man)
A normal varsity night, (2 man is about all we do) is more like $90 to $95.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I can only speak for my area of Missouri - but on a typical game night there is a Soph/Varsity DH of the same gender. There will be a 2-man Soph crew (pay is I think $46) and a varsity 3-man crew ($65).

On the rare occasion that there is a Girls/Boys varsity DH there will be two distinct varsity 3-man crews. Also usually with that there are two prior (or concurrently in a sec gym) Soph games with two 2-man crews on those as well.

On occasion a Soph official will pull double duty due to injury or other circumstance, he will be paid as though he was working two distinct games.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

We have taken a step backwards here in Southeast Kansas going from all 3 man varsity, to now where only one conference uses 3 man. We hear much more whining and yelling from coaches, most of us are frustrated, and it doesn't matter at all. What's worse, we go back to 3 for all playoffs and the teams get to adjust to us now having that third set of eyes. All this so each school can save $700. Yep. That much.

All our V games are GV/BV doubleheaders. Schools are limited to 20 games. That is 20 GV/BV dates. 10 home, 10 away. 10 home dates @ 2 x $115 for two man, or 3x 100 for three man. Do the math. Each school saves 700/yr. It's total crap.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not sure your math is right and I think you should divide those totals by 2....a team only plays half their games at home (you mention that but don't seem to use it in your math). A different team would be covering the other 11 games. (Or each team is covering half of the total each night).

Or are you saying a referee gets $110 per game? Or is that for a JV/V double header where the JV would get the same crew?
It is 11 girls and 11 boys games. Yes, the JV and V games are the same crew. Two games of 8-minute quarters each (A lot of the big schools play 8-minute JV quarters) would be $110 for each official for the night.

We have over 200 officials in our group, but we have a lot of schools to cover, so I don't think separate JV and V officials would be feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Could be 11 boys' + 11 girls' games = 22 games.
Yep.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Lol

LOL! talk all the sh*t you want guys. I LOVE IT! LOL. There are NO 3 man crews in Oregon at the time, all high school games are 2 man crews, j.v. as well as varsity. A 2 man crew is just fine for ANY basketball game, yes a 3 man crew is easier (for you old men out there) but 2 is just as good, you can see everything just fine (unless you wear old man glasses), and the game will go just as fast as a 3 man crew. Besides the economy is in the hole, i don't see y'all 3 manning crews much longer.
ANd as for reffing circles around me, me being an "idiot" (quote from some of you) and all you others that are talking it up. keep it coming old men! I encourage a little bit of sh*t talk! (kinda what the 1st post was for) ><
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
LOL! talk all the sh*t you want guys. I LOVE IT! LOL. There are NO 3 man crews in Oregon at the time, all high school games are 2 man crews, j.v. as well as varsity. A 2 man crew is just fine for ANY basketball game, yes a 3 man crew is easier (for you old men out there) but 2 is just as good, you can see everything just fine (unless you wear old man glasses), and the game will go just as fast as a 3 man crew. Besides the economy is in the hole, i don't see y'all 3 manning crews much longer.
ANd as for reffing circles around me, me being an "idiot" (quote from some of you) and all you others that are talking it up. keep it coming old men! I encourage a little bit of sh*t talk! (kinda what the 1st post was for) ><
Thanks for proving you're an idiot. If I wanted to be subjected to this sort of spelling, grammar, and emoticons, I'd read my daughter's emails. Come back after you graduate from high school.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the actual substance of your post; it would be like arguing with a wall.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
All this post does is reinforce that you don't know anything about officiating or that you're just trying to be an a$$-clown. You can let us know which one applies.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You had all that time to respond and this was the best you could do?

Peace
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really?

I'd like to see this guy work!!

3 person isnt about "easier" or "faster" games, its about better court coverage!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Really?

I'd like to see this guy work!!

3 person isnt about "easier" or "faster" games, its about better court coverage!
Yep, and if baby Einstein here was right, then you can bet they'd be using 2 man crews at the NCAA and NBA levels as well.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Old man rage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You had all that time to respond and this was the best you could do?

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All this post does is reinforce that you don't know anything about officiating or that you're just trying to be an a$$-clown. You can let us know which one applies.

LOL! U mad old man? Dont be, its just a forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Thanks for proving you're an idiot. If I wanted to be subjected to this sort of spelling, grammar, and emoticons, I'd read my daughter's emails. Come back after you graduate from high school.

I'm not even going to bother responding to the actual substance of your post; it would be like arguing with a wall.
IT IS AN INTERNET FORUM. Get with the times old man. Spelling is correct, and all the grammar and "emoticons" are all "correct too" ITS AN INTERNET FORUM. Oh wait, do you know what the internet is? Here: Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:57pm
TODO: creative title here

Obvious Troll is Obvious
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Obvious Troll is Obvious
HEY! Looks like someone got it right!
Dang old men don't get it. LOL. poor guys..