The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Although for different reasons that Rich, I too would probably give up HS ball if my area went 2-man. I'm at a point in my career going back and forth would be a detriment to my skills and that's not something I would want to happen. And I think a lot of guys that I work with who are at the same point in their careers would probably do the same. And if that is the case that would be a shame because this area would lose a LOT of quality officials - both those with many years experience that the 3-man system allows to continue and those like me that say the hell with it and move on.

Last edited by eyezen; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 01:07am.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking ADs/coaches/even those stiff bean counters need to read this thread. You think they might catch on?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 08:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Although for different reasons that Rich, I too would probably give up HS ball if my area went 2-man. I'm at a point in my career going back and forth would be a detriment to my skills and that's not something I would want to happen. And I think a lot of guys that I work with who are at the same point in their careers would probably do the same. And if that is the case that would be a shame because this area would lose a LOT of quality officials - both those with many years experience that the 3-man system allows to continue and those like me that say the hell with it and move on.
I see a lot of officials who have real difficulties going back and forth. I don't think I do -- it forces me to really focus on my coverages and my mechanics, though.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 08:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I see a lot of officials who have real difficulties going back and forth. I don't think I do -- it forces me to really focus on my coverages and my mechanics, though.
It takes me a few moments to make the adjustment, but I don't have "real difficulties."

I have three, two-person games tonight with the guy who got me started in the business. I'm really looking forward to showing him just how far I've come thanks to his nudge......
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just like working girls basketball, its not that its really difficult and I cant do it, but its not to my benefit.

Put it another way, and to liberally use a football officials expression, I use Tues and Friday nights to work on my game for Thurs and Sat. What good is it for me to do that 2-man

Last edited by eyezen; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 10:19am.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Just like working girls basketball, its not that its really difficult and I cant do it, but its not to my benefit.

Put it another way, and to liberally use a football officials expression, I use Tues and Friday nights to work on my game for Thurs and Sat. What good is it for me to do that 2-man
I don't disagree with you. Not at all. We normally don't work 5-man in football when we work FR/JV games, but I think it's much different in basketball.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do The Math ...

Quote:
We normally don't work 5-man in football when we work FR/JV games, but I think it's much different in basketball.
You're correct. It is much different. We never use 5-man for basketball. For us it's usually 2-man, sometimes 3-man, and occasionally, 1-man. In fact, sometimes it's not a man, but it's a woman. Sometimes two women, or three women, but never five women. Sometimes one woman, and one man, and at other times it's ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 07:51pm.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You're correct. It is much different. We never use 5-man for basketball. For us it's usually 2-man, sometimes 3-man, and occasionally, 1-man. In fact, sometimes it's not a man, but it's a woman. Sometimes two women, or three women, but never five women. Sometimes one woman, and one man, and at other times it's ...
I often want to ask this of you, bit usually resist. This time I'm going to ask: Do you (ever) have a point?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Come on now Billy...
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Anyone who thinks that a 2-person crew is as effective as a 3-person crew simply does not have enough 3-person experience to make that comment.
When Georgia went to 3-person 15 years or so ago, I was against it. I thought that I was able to move and get into position to make any call necessary. It didn't take long to realize that having a strong "C" can make a huge difference in the game. This also allows younger officials to move up faster because they are working bigger games much faster and getting real game experience that otherwise may take a few years longer to gain.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Forget live ball 3 whistle. 3 really shines on dead ball officiating. When one partner has to talk to another, the third can always keep his full attention on the players. I emphasize this in pregame -- one person ALWAYS has the players, regardless of what's happening, unless both teams are at the bench and all three are required for any discussion. Usually, A and B talk and tell C what he needs to know now, or that they'll fill him in at halftime/after the game. I can wait.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

People Who Live In Glass Houses ...

Quote:
I often want to ask this of you, bit usually resist. This time I'm going to ask: Do you (ever) have a point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Come on now Billy.
I am not the Forum Spelling Guy, nor am I the Forum Grammar Guy, I often make these type of mistakes myself. I just found RichMSN's word selection very interesting, not poor, just interesting (We normally don't work 5-man in football when we work FR/JV games, but I think it's much different in basketball).

No offense intended. Sorry if I came across as hypercritical. I should know better: "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:7)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)