The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"And the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders." ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tell it to the judge.
Do you think they would use those traffic cameras along the highway as evidence, like they always do on Law and Order?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For high school varsity games, never. Schools will seldom schedule the boys/girls varsity doubleheaders that I see other Forum members posting about. Also, when these rare doubleheaders are scheduled, or when high school Holiday Tournament varsity doubleheaders are scheduled, different crews get the assignments.

The most common type of doubleheaders assigned are 4:00 p.m. freshman games followed by 5:30 p.m. junior varsity games. One, or both, of the freshman officials may stay at the site for the junior varsity assignment. This is because we do not have a lot of available officials for midafternoon games. Most of them have day jobs, and can't make the 4:00 p.m. start. When our officials do work said doubleheader, they get two full game fees. (Two subvarsity fees, $57.25 + $57.25 = $114.50)

When I work for my Catholic middle school assigner, he will cut the rate for a boys/girls varsity (eighth grade) doubleheader, which are almost always assigned as a doubleheader. For example, I have one of these varsity (seven minute periods) doubleheaders tonight. I will walk out with a check for $84.00. One of our Catholic schools does not field a girls varsity team. We will work a single boys varsity game when that school is involved in an assignment, and will walk out of those games with a check for $54.00.

All HS games are DH here. Actually 4 games, JV B/G with one crew, V G/B with another crew. One conference plays at 3:30, 4:45, 6:00 and 7:30, while the other conference plays at 4:00, 5:15, 6:30 and 8. Freshman teams usually play the same team on the road when V/JV are at home on the same day. Middle schools play 4 games starting at 4:30 and Middle school JV plays on Saturdays 2-3 games per Saturday (5 games for the officials at 8 Saturday Morning).
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

In our league we schedule doubleheaders.One crew does JV boys and girls while the other varsity boys and girls.Our tip off times are 3,4:30,6,and 7:30.Middle school basketball here is a spring sport so the teams get to use the gym for practice too!
Old Sat Feb 05, 2011, 11:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Had makeup games tonight because schools were closed for icy road yesterday.
This school had also had home games on Tuesday. The principal made a point of telling me how much he appreciated us sticking it out during the stoppage. He went on to say he had voted against the pay raise at the last meeting, but he now intended to vote for it when it comes up again in the summer.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 07:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
This school had also had home games on Tuesday. The principal made a point of telling me how much he appreciated us sticking it out during the stoppage. He went on to say he had voted against the pay raise at the last meeting, but he now intended to vote for it when it comes up again in the summer.
I bet you really got that warm and fuzzy feeling when the principal told you how much he appreciated you screwing your fellow officials. It's just great that you're keeping all of those principals in your area so damn happy.

You really do have one helluva lot of conversations with principals, ADs and coaches, don't you, JAR?

Gee, you don't think that there might be a chance that that principal might now be voting for a pay raise because of the stoppage? Because some LA officials had the balls to say "enough is enough"? Naw, that couldn't be it, could it. It's probably because he personally likes you so damn much.

Did you also tell that principal that your association plans to decline any future pay raises that are gained in such a despicable manner? Just wondering. You guys do have the conviction of your principles, don't you?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:10pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I bet you really got that warm and fuzzy feeling when the principal told you how much he appreciated you screwing your fellow officials. It's just great that you're keeping all of those principals in your area so damn happy.
Principal and I were on the same page that when an agreement is in place to work for a certain price for a certain period that it should be honored. Apparently you don't understand/want to understand that idea.

Quote:

You really do have one helluva lot of conversations with principals, ADs and coaches, don't you, JAR?
We're all just people. Communication is the key to a lot of things. One of the common criticisms of officials is that they are aloof and unreachable. You, on the other hand, are aloof and unreachable even to other officials here when we dare to disagree with you.

Quote:
Gee, you don't think that there might be a chance that that principal might now be voting for a pay raise because of the stoppage?
Now you're calling a man a liar that you never met and have no idea who he is. Very nice.

Quote:
Because some LA officials had the balls to say "enough is enough"?
The balls to say enough is enough, the balls to ignore an agreement which was signed with the other side........... po-tay-toe......po-tah-toe

Quote:

Did you also tell that principal that your association plans to decline any future pay raises that are gained in such a despicable manner?
We have done nothing despicable. I, personally, do not believe the despicable actions of others to which you refer will gain us anything. I hope that the opposite is not the case.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Won't You Be My Neighbor

"All we are sa-a-a-y-y-ying.......... is give peace a chance........"
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 12:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"All we are sa-a-a-y-y-ying.......... is give peace a chance........"
JR's knowledge of the rules is unquestioned. The strength of his convictions is admirable. His delivery could use some work.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Ever consider changing your screen name to just another principal?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is there a point that I am missing here?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reading this, it seems to me that the walk out helped change the principal's mind. At the very least it could of brought to light how unhappy some officials are about the embarrassingly low pay they receive.

But seeing as how it was only 4 of the local chapters, and given your state association's track record, I'd bet a pay raise isn't coming soon.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1. If a pay raise is accepted, the guys who didn't sit out can thank the ones who did.

2. If a pay raise is not accepted, the guys who sat out can thank the ones who didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is there a point that I am missing here?
This was the point. Snaq's (and others) thought that the walkout would cause principals to vote for the pay raise. This guy said that the opposite was the case. Was he lying in my face for some other reason?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
JR's knowledge of the rules is unquestioned. The strength of his convictions is admirable. His delivery could use some work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Ever consider changing your screen name to just another principal?

good example

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Reading this, it seems to me that the walk out helped change the principal's mind. At the very least it could of brought to light how unhappy some officials are about the embarrassingly low pay they receive.

But seeing as how it was only 4 of the local chapters, and given your state association's track record, I'd bet a pay raise isn't coming soon.
I wouldn't bet the farm on it either way. The question I have is, whether the raise is approved or not, when it comes time to sign the contracts, what if some associations agree to sign and others don't?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
This was the point. Snaq's (and others) thought that the walkout would cause principals to vote for the pay raise. This guy said that the opposite was the case. Was he lying in my face for some other reason?
Naw, he was just petting you, rubbing your ears, patting your tummy and saying "good doggie". And by golly, it worked, didn't it?.