The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 03:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Here's a weird clock question

I had a second year guy ask me this the other night at our local kids rec league ref meeting.

A1 is to inbound following a violation on team B. The clock is stopped. A1 holds the ball over the line and it is grabbed by B1, forcing a jump ball. Would you chop the clock as soon as the ball is touched by B1 then stop it virtually immediately? Or would you rule the ball wasn't legally touched so the clock would not start?

He also asked if it was an AP throw-in instead of one following a violation, who would get the subsequent throw-in and what would happen to the AP arrow.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

The clock question is a good one and I don't have my books to research but the held ball on the AP throw in stays with the team who was making the throw. Since there was no end to the throw in the arrow stays where it was until the completed AP throw in to come.
Again, no books to site rules or casebook but it won't take long for someone.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 03:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Seems similar to the kicked throwin dilemma. The clock starts when the ball is touched, so it seems fair for there to be some lag time.
Personally, it would be hard for me to "correct" either way.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

An easy fix to this

I was involved with the kicked throw in dilemma discussion and thought I'd throw in my .02 on this one. IMO, the reason for the alternating possession rules to be in there at all is for the teams to "take turns" in what used to be jump ball situations. 6-4-4 currently reads "The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."

In the sitch above, there is an AP throwin that "ends" with a held ball. (But it doesn't end as in 4-42-5, thus the conundrum) Why not just revise the wording of 6-4-4 to say the direction of the possession arrow is reversed when the ball is placed at the disposal of a team for an alternating possession throw in.

This seems to me to be a fairly simple editorial change, and gets rid of those rare and obscure rulings that have to happen because of the wording of 6-4-4, and restores the "take turns" intent of the alternating possession.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
I was involved with the kicked throw in dilemma discussion and thought I'd throw in my .02 on this one. IMO, the reason for the alternating possession rules to be in there at all is for the teams to "take turns" in what used to be jump ball situations. 6-4-4 currently reads "The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."

In the sitch above, there is an AP throwin that "ends" with a held ball. (But it doesn't end as in 4-42-5, thus the conundrum) Why not just revise the wording of 6-4-4 to say the direction of the possession arrow is reversed when the ball is placed at the disposal of a team for an alternating possession throw in.

This seems to me to be a fairly simple editorial change, and gets rid of those rare and obscure rulings that have to happen because of the wording of 6-4-4, and restores the "take turns" intent of the alternating possession.

I'm with you, but the NFHS has determined the arrow presents the throw-in team with the opportunity to have an entire throw-in. Personally, I think once the thrower is handed the ball, the AP arrow has done its job, but the NFHS disagrees (along with 99% of the posters on this board).
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 05:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Would you chop the clock as soon as the ball is touched by B1 then stop it virtually immediately? Or would you rule the ball wasn't legally touched so the clock would not start?
Neither. 5-9-4.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Seems similar to the kicked throwin dilemma. The clock starts when the ball is touched, so it seems fair for there to be some lag time.
Personally, it would be hard for me to "correct" either way.
The clock doesn't start when the ball is touched. It is started when the ball is legally touched by a player on the court after it has been released by the thrower.

In the held ball and kicked pass situations the clock does not start.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
The clock doesn't start when the ball is touched. It is started when the ball is legally touched by a player on the court after it has been released by the thrower.

In the held ball and kicked pass situations the clock does not start.
Right, I'd forgotten about the "after it has been released" part, but I'm not sure about the "legally" part; unless it's new. I'll check my book when I get in the car.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 06:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Someone send up the bat signal.....

Where's our infamous table-guy when you need him? He'd know what to do!
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right, I'd forgotten about the "after it has been released" part, but I'm not sure about the "legally" part; unless it's new. I'll check my book when I get in the car.
5-9-4: "If play is resumed by a throw-in, the clock shall be started when the
ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court after it is released by
the thrower."
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A1 is to inbound following a violation on team B. The clock is stopped. A1 holds the ball over the line and it is grabbed by B1, forcing a jump ball.
How can this be a jump ball if one player is OOB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
5-9-4: "If play is resumed by a throw-in, the clock shall be started when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court after it is released by the thrower."
In the OP it is stated that A1 still has possession of the ball OOB when B1 creates the "jump ball". A1 never releases the ball & is still OOB, so how can the clock be started?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 07:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How can this be a jump ball if one player is OOB?
Because that's the rule. Would call would you suggest?
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 07:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
5-9-4: "If play is resumed by a throw-in, the clock shall be started when the
ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court after it is released by
the thrower."
Saw that, thanks. I also see it was the same last year. I wonder if it's changed, as I recall a dilemma on this play but don't see it now.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Saw that, thanks. I also see it was the same last year. I wonder if it's changed, as I recall a dilemma on this play but don't see it now.
Perhaps you are confusing this with a previous discussion about a kicked inbounds pass? In that case the throw-in has been released. Or I would hope it has been.
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because that's the rule. Would call would you suggest?
All I was doing was asking a question as to why the call is what it is.

How I understand rules/regulations, this would be a Defensive throw-in violation as the offense is unable to complete the throw-in. However, show me the rule & case book play that shows otherwise, & my thinking will change.