The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

This happened is boy's varsity game the other night. I will try to describe so it makes sense. A1 has ball in frontcourt. B1 taps it away (toward half court). Both chase, B1 dives for ball and retrieves it with half of his body in his frontcourt and half in his backcourt. Before he picked it up it bounced once in his frontcourt. From his position on the floor he passes to B2 in his backcourt.
Seems to meet the 4 criteria for a backcourt violation, except not sure if there must be team control before the ball achieves frontcourt status. Opinions please.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Where was his feet when it established control?
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

He was laying on the floor, waist up in his frontcourt, waist down in his backcourt.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I say he can pass in backcourt with no violation.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree ~ no violation.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLC
This happened is boy's varsity game the other night. I will try to describe so it makes sense. A1 has ball in frontcourt. B1 taps it away (toward half court). Both chase, B1 dives for ball and retrieves it with half of his body in his frontcourt and half in his backcourt. Before he picked it up it bounced once in his frontcourt. From his position on the floor he passes to B2 in his backcourt.
Seems to meet the 4 criteria for a backcourt violation, except not sure if there must be team control before the ball achieves frontcourt status. Opinions please.
There's no team control until he's on the floor, holding the ball. When he does, he's in the BC.

No violation.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
The ball never has frontcourt status here.

The player catches the ball while touching both the frontcourt and the backcourt. The player has backcourt status when he touches both, so the ball has backcourt status as well. Team control is established at this point.

The player then bounces the ball. This is a dribble, so the status of the ball is governed by the "three points" rule. All of the player and the ball need to be in the frontcourt for the ball to attain frontcourt status during a dribble. This doesn't happen.

The player now passes to a teammate in the backcourt. No violation.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Simple rule here and it applies most of the time

If youre not completely in the front court then youre in the back court.

Same is true if youre completely Inbounds then youre not OOB.

My suggestion. dont make things harder than they are
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef, that is what I was not sure of. I knew his status was still backcourt since he was not completely over. I just did not know that the fact that the ball bounced in the frontcourt before he got control made a difference.
1st two point for backcourt violation are team control and ball must achieve frontcourt status. Question was must control come 1st?
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JLC
BktBallRef, that is what I was not sure of. I knew his status was still backcourt since he was not completely over. I just did not know that the fact that the ball bounced in the frontcourt before he got control made a difference.
1st two point for backcourt violation are team control and ball must achieve frontcourt status. Question was must control come 1st?

The team control must exist when the ball has FC status before it can be a violation.

Only then do the last to touch/first to to element matter.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 09:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by JLC
Think about it this way.
On a throw in, A1 throws a bounce pass to A2, who is standing in the back court. The pass first bounces in the front court before A2 catches it in the BC. No violation.
Team control must be established in the front court for the violation to occur.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

Not true. A1, inbounds in the backcourt, throws a bounce pass which first bounces in the frontcourt, then is caught by A2 in the backcourt. This is a violation, even though A never had control in the frontcourt.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
The team control must exist when the ball has FC status before it can be a violation.
Until there's team control by A, there is, in effect, no A backcourt or frontcourt. So the ball bounced in B's frontcourt, but that's not A's backcourt, until A has team control.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

Not true. A1, inbounds in the backcourt, throws a bounce pass which first bounces in the frontcourt, then is caught by A2 in the backcourt. This is a violation, even though A never had control in the frontcourt.
A1 has established team control by virtue of having player control. When the ball hits the frontcourt on a bounce pass, the ball gains fc status and team control is maintained by A. Thus, team control has now been established in the front court.
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

Lotto: I'm not sure what these players did (maybe A1 put a good spin on the ball so it hit in frontcourt and bounded into the backcourt. Even so, Team A (nor Team B) does not have control on a throw-in, until one A player gains player control. So, it can theoretically bounce from front to back to front to back (being tipped or batted) and still not be in any Team's control until a player holds or dribbles the ball. There is no frontcourt status just because the ball bounced there. No violation in your play.