View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 10, 2010, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by centkyref View Post
I was involved with the kicked throw in dilemma discussion and thought I'd throw in my .02 on this one. IMO, the reason for the alternating possession rules to be in there at all is for the teams to "take turns" in what used to be jump ball situations. 6-4-4 currently reads "The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends as in 4-42-5."

In the sitch above, there is an AP throwin that "ends" with a held ball. (But it doesn't end as in 4-42-5, thus the conundrum) Why not just revise the wording of 6-4-4 to say the direction of the possession arrow is reversed when the ball is placed at the disposal of a team for an alternating possession throw in.

This seems to me to be a fairly simple editorial change, and gets rid of those rare and obscure rulings that have to happen because of the wording of 6-4-4, and restores the "take turns" intent of the alternating possession.

I'm with you, but the NFHS has determined the arrow presents the throw-in team with the opportunity to have an entire throw-in. Personally, I think once the thrower is handed the ball, the AP arrow has done its job, but the NFHS disagrees (along with 99% of the posters on this board).