LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
1) Exactly! That is why it makes sense to ASK the question:

Official: "Is the sub for 11, he has 5, COACH."
Coach: "Yes" or "No"

2)I see some officials understood exactly what I meant, but hey, big picture officiating aint for everybody!
1) Sooooo, I take it it that you don't agree with the dildo that said "There is no reason to let the coach know it's the fifth."? Correct?

2)
Just
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
1) Sooooo, I take it it that you don't agree with the dildo that said "There is no reason to let the coach know it's the fifth."? Correct?

2)
Just
Dildo? That's funny! Is it P/C? No, but funny nonetheless especially since I get a lot of what the dildos get. You must be at the "edible-only" stages in your life.

Actually JR, if you read this in its entirety you will see what I truly said in post #47 on Friday:

3. Im AT the table & see a sub there... no reason to let the coach know its the 5th. Thats why the sub is there!! Asking if the sub is for the player w/ 5 makes more sense to me.

Again, letting COACH know vs. asking COACH. Either way, we have completed our responsibilities by notifying the coach.

Lets turn the page...
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If one were to try to ascertain your opinion based on this post, tref, he would be left believing you don't think there's a need to talk to the coach; as you could simply ask the sub whom he is replacing.
Now, reading all your posts in this thread, it's obvious that you simply misspoke in that particular post.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, letting COACH know vs. asking COACH. Either way, we have completed our responsibilities by notifying the coach.
Again, if you are afraid of possible inappropriate interaction from the coach, why are you asking him a question, which implies and requires a response, rather than simply informing/telling the coach?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If one were to try to ascertain your opinion based on this post, tref, he would be left believing you don't think there's a need to talk to the coach; as you could simply ask the sub whom he is replacing.
Now, reading all your posts in this thread, it's obvious that you simply misspoke in that particular post.
Yeah, you are right Snaqs! I misspoke & boy did they ever run with it. I will make it a point to say exactly what I mean in the future, the elderly seem to get lost quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Again, 1. if you are afraid of possible inappropriate interaction from the coach, 2. why are you asking him a question, which implies and requires a response, rather than simply informing/telling the coach?
1. If a official is afraid, he/she needs to retire. My swag suggest to all involved in a contest that I am running the contest & there is nothing that can happen that I cant handle.

2. The way I ask it, along with my body language gives me the results I'm looking for 95% of the time. A one word answer from coach... "yes" or "no".
Informing him (with a player already at the table) got me what Billy got once before. I learned from it & choose not to go that route again.

What works for you is great & what works for me is great, because it works for US individually!

Whats the big deal?
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, you are right Snaqs! I misspoke & boy did they ever run with it. I will make it a point to say exactly what I mean in the future, the elderly seem to get lost quick.

Gee, the "elderly" took what you said literally and believed you. Bad "elderly"! Bad, bad "elderly"!!

The "elderly" won't make the same mistake again of believing what you say in the future. We just won't take seriously anything much that you say.

Nothing really changes, eh Ch!town? You haven't changed one bit, even with your new name. Same old, same old......
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Except for Rock, I have worked many games with him and at the start of every game he hands a resume to each coach. Before you know it the game is over and the coaches have just finished reading.
Smart-a$$.

Wouldn't that be interesting with a few of them, tho???
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Because the dq'ed player is the one who has to leave. The official is required to notify the coach of the disqualification. The coach is required to replace the disqualified player. Is anything else required? If, upon notification, a sub is already standing ready to enter, it seems like a situation that will work itself out from there. Asking
"Is he for the dq'ed player?" seems likely to provoke a hostile or sarcastic response.

"Who the hell else would he be for?!"
Good point... because none of us has EVER seen multiple substitutions at the same time...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly! That is why it makes sense to ASK the question:

Official: "Is the sub for 11, he has 5, COACH."
Coach: "Yes" or "No"

As opposed to TELLING the coach something he most likely ALREADY knows (if you work higher level games)
I've read all this drivel waiting for someone to point out the obvious, but no one did.

So ... you have 11 come in for 5, and 2 minutes later he tries to insert 5 again. You tell him 5 has fouled out and he says, "You never told me he had five!" Not telling the coach, in the manner you are supposed to tell him, is ASKING, if not BEGGING for trouble.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, thanks for your approval sir! I feel so much better now that you've checked off on what works for me. ROTFLMAO
In my experience, people that type their own joke and ROTF or LOL are the same guy as the annoying guffawing buffoon making everyone else uncomfortable or annoyed at the family picnics and post-season parties.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seems like you don't have any problem calling names, do you? So, how old is "elderly", and how old am I?

Quote:
The way I ask it, along with my body language gives me the results I'm looking for 95% of the time.
So, what happens that other 5%? What if I told you my method works 99.8% of the time? Would you be willing to switch to my way of thinking? I can run a stop sign and 95% of the time, nothing bad will happen. Does that make it right?

Quote:
Informing him (with a player already at the table) got me what Billy got once before. I learned from it & choose not to go that route again.
So, you did it the right way, and the coach made a smart-a$$ comment? So what? I thought with your swag and body language that wouldn't happen? But, since it did, did you take care of business? Or, are you saying that coach that day forced you to do things differently from that point on? How strong of an official are you the a coach's incorrect actions forced you to do things incorrectly from that point on?

You keep mentioning things like your illuminating personality as your reasons for doing the things you do, while some of us "elderly folks" keep mentioning things like rules and mechanics. Kind of like them pesky traffic rules, right? As long as the other folks at the stop sign see the swag, they'll know to keep out of our way, right?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I've read all this drivel waiting for someone to point out the obvious, but no one did.

So ... you have 11 come in for 5, and 2 minutes later he tries to insert 5 again. You tell him 5 has fouled out and he says, "You never told me he had five!" Not telling the coach, in the manner you are supposed to tell him, is ASKING, if not BEGGING for trouble.
Read his post again, just the part that you quoted. His question to the coach is followed immediately by "he has five". He is informing the coach.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The "elderly" won't make the same mistake again of believing what you say in the future. We just won't take seriously anything much that you say.

Nothing really changes, eh Ch!town? You haven't changed one bit, even with your new name. Same old, same old......
I care about YOU believing me like, NOT AT ALL.

Change? I've improved a lil' bit & I mentioned the name change before, so dont try to paint it like I got ran & tried to come in fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Reading is fundamental...
LMAO (cause you're funny) No pile ons over here, keep it movin!
TIP: Learn to read before you try to clown.

Quote:
Seems like you don't have any problem calling names, do you? So, how old is "elderly", and how old am I?
I do unto others as they have done unto me FIRST. Key word = FIRST
And, IDGAF

Quote:
So, what happens that other 5%? What if I told you my method works 99.8% of the time?
I already said, what works for you is GREAT, because it works for YOU!

Quote:
So, you did it the right way, and the coach made a smart-a$$ comment? So what? I thought with your swag and body language that wouldn't happen?
Disagree, I did it that way & it didn't work, so I tried another method & its been good to ME! Who are you to say whats right & wrong? The coach was notified that the player has 5, point blank, PERIOD!
My negative experience with "duh coach, #11 has 5 fouls" happened back in '07, I had no idea of what my court presence said back then. I started watching video in 08 & thats when I corrected some flaws & developed some swag.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Read his post again, just the part that you quoted. His question to the coach is followed immediately by "he has five". He is informing the coach.
Isn't it sad how a few have made an assumption about what tref meant and simply can not concede that their interpretation of his words was wrong. trefs post may very well have been a bit ambiguous but was made VERY clear a long time ago that the question being asked was not directed to the popcorn guy but to the coach. Once that clarification was made, the discusison was really over...yet some can't allow for for the possibility of themselves misreading his post.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 03:52pm.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gee, the "elderly" took what you said literally and believed you. Bad "elderly"! Bad, bad "elderly"!!
There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he posted aside from it not spelling out who he was talking to. You simply assumed (incorrectly) who he was talking to.