The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Appreciate it Camron & its good to see that the entire board didn't mis-read me.

On a positive note, this has made me realize that I need to improve my overall communication skills, even more!! At the levels I aspire to work, saying what you mean & meaning what you say is so crucial. So this debate OR smackdown (whatever they think they accomplished) shined the light on what I need to do to make myself a better official.

Every situation serves a purpose, it's up to us to figure it out.

Last edited by tref; Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 04:02pm.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Read his post again, just the part that you quoted. His question to the coach is followed immediately by "he has five". He is informing the coach.
Not in his original post though. There is NO mention of "he has five" in that one. Au contraire, he flatly stated that that "there is no reason to inform the coach that it's the fifth.".

You can't have it both ways. If he admits that he "misspoke", you can't blame that on people who believed what he wrote originally.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Change? I've improved a lil' bit & I mentioned the name change before, so dont try to paint it like I got ran & tried to come in fresh.
Kinda funny that the name change and a few other of your posting gems have now disappeared into the ether, ain't it, Ch!town?

Same old, same old......
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I dont know what you're talking about, for the 3rd & last time, I changed my email addy last year & could not login under Ch1town. I could not contact any moderators, so I created another profile to participate in the forum.
I have NOT deleted anything... its really not that crucial (to me).

This place is very informative & I've learned so much here! In addition to other programs I am in, this place is very instrumental in my development.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Not in his original post though. There is NO mention of "he has five" in that one. Au contraire, he flatly stated that that "there is no reason to inform the coach that it's the fifth.".

You can't have it both ways. If he admits that he "misspoke", you can't blame that on people who believed what he wrote originally.
You say misspoke. I say realized what an idiot he was and changed his story. Tomato Tomahto.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 04:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Sorry, you've got the order of events wrong, it seems. He misspoke in post #47, he said to say "he has five" in post #43. I'd quote them for you, but that would border on snarky.

I put the initial confusion on tref, but let me put it this way:

We often give the benefit of the doubt to long time posters when they (meaning I) misspeak on something, based on what we know about their knowledge and history of posting. Why, then, when someone repeatedly clarifies (albeit with some serious snark) his meaning, do we zero in on one little tidbit that is, when taken in the context of the entire thread, an obvious misstatement?

Then again, if I'm wrong, it wouln't be the first crappy call I made this summer.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
You say misspoke. I say realized what an idiot he was and changed his story. Tomato Tomahto.
I could go with that if he hadn't first said it correctly only to follow up with a misstatement.

OK, I'm done with this. tref is a big boy and can handle his own.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I really want the NUTMEG t-shirt. I know it is a state pride sort of thing, but I also have a Fighting Blue Hen T-Shirt from Deleware, and who doesn't own a S. Carolina Gamecock item?!??!!!
I would go with "Coach, that's the 5th on 11, is this their sub?" If the coach gets a little snarky, I'd say something like "Well, just thought I would ask". Several times the coach will just answer YES without thinking and we can get the game restarted quicker. Then a few minutes later, the coach realizes that they wanted SOMEONE ELSE to go in then subs that player in the game.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry, you've got the order of events wrong, it seems. He misspoke in post #47, he said to say "he has five" in post #43. I'd quote them for you, but that would border on snarky.

I put the initial confusion on tref, but let me put it this way:

We often give the benefit of the doubt to long time posters when they (meaning I) misspeak on something, based on what we know about their knowledge and history of posting. Why, then, when someone repeatedly clarifies (albeit with some serious snark) his meaning, do we zero in on one little tidbit that is, when taken in the context of the entire thread, an obvious misstatement?
Know what? If tref/Ch!town simply hadda said that he "misspoke" right after being questioned about post #47 instead of waiting until post #125 three days later, we might not have gone through all this crap. We could have given him the benefit of the doubt then and this thread could have died a well-deserved death at that time. And please note for the record, I sureasheck ain't the only one that took what he said on post #47 at face value. That post and his "clarifications" since then have been questioned by some other posters whose officiating knowledge I have a great deal of respect for.

And you are right. It is time for all of us to be done with this one also imho.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Apologies To Gomez Addams ...

Quote:
Au contraire.
"Jurassic Referee!, when you speak French, it drives me wild, Cara Mia!"

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tone ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Official: "11 has 5 fouls, Coach."
Coach: "Yeah, thats why my sub is sitting there genius."
Not word for word, but this is pretty much what happened to me in the original post that started this thread. And he said it with the most sarcastic, obnoxious, smart-alec, tone. That's what led to the warning from me right before he got his first technical foul. Maybe the second technical foul could have been handled a different way, but he definitely deserved a "that's enough" warning and the the first technical foul. No coach is going to talk to me, or my partner, in that tone.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Post ...

Quote:
You have 11 come in for 5, and 2 minutes later he tries to insert 5 again. You tell him 5 has fouled out and he says, "You never told me he had five!" Not telling the coach, in the manner you are supposed to tell him, is ASKING, if not BEGGING for trouble.
Agree.

Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 01:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
He didn't go overboard, he underperformed, IMO, by not asking the coach; per the NFHS ruling which you seem to be ignoring here.
And where is this located?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref
"Is the sub for 11, he has 5, COACH."

Quote:
Not telling the coach, in the manner you are supposed to tell him, is ASKING, if not BEGGING for trouble.

And I'm the idiot... ok
Old Tue Aug 03, 2010, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not word for word, but this is pretty much what happened to me in the original post that started this thread. And he said it with the most sarcastic, obnoxious, smart-alec, tone. That's what led to the warning from me right before he got his first technical foul. Maybe the second technical foul could have been handled a different way, but he definitely deserved a "that's enough" warning and the the first technical foul. No coach is going to talk to me, or my partner, in that tone.
Well, Billy, time for us to beat you down for not accurately depicting the coach's tone in your original post.

Just admit you mis-spoke and we will only beat you down for 1 day.