The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I am a first year ref, going for the board. Tonight I had a JV boys game between two tough city schools. First half great, no issues. About 3 minutes or so in the second half I run by the home bench and over hear a comment along the lines of "Keep your kids quiet!" I figure he is talking to the kids behind the visitors bench. Varsity had been sitting there all night. With about 30 seconds to go (visitors up 12)I am the trail on the bench side. I can hear the home coach yelling at the visiting coach. I notice that the home coach is no longer in my perriforal (SP?) vision and things are getting louder. I blow my whistle and have to step in between the coaches who are screaming at each other. When my partner gets to the scene the coaches start to go at it again. From the visitors side I hear "No one is going to call my kids N*****s!" We separate again. I say to my partner "Double Techs, Double ejection, game over!" Home coach goes nuts. Coaches go at each other again. I finally get the visiting coach to move to the locker room with his players. Home coach wants an explanation on why he got tossed. I said the first T was for leaving coaching box. Second for fighting, flagrant foul, its automatic. He replies but "he hit me, why do I get thrown out when I get punched?" My partner and I saw no punches. He states so your telling me I should have punched him. At this point I grab my partner and head to the locker room. While in there the visiting coach looks for an explanation. He apologizes profusely. My partner and I wrote up the incident. He called the assignor and we are forwarding our report to the league office. So a couple of questions. Should I call the AD's/Principal? (I am an administrator in the state. The varisty officials told me to let the league handle it.) Any thoughts on how this could have been handled better?

By the way no AD in the building. Couldn't find the on site administrator. When we did find him he had nothing to say.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Report to your assignor, write it up and submit it to the commissioner and let the league handle it.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with double technical (one on each coach).

I disagree with the 2T and ejection part. You said no punches were thrown so how could they be charged with FIGHTING. Seems like a lot of shouting occurred but no fight.

You still may have made the right decision to SUSPEND the game albeit in my opinion way too fast to come to that conclusion. This should be a last resort thing but as you describe it, "double tech, double ejection, game over."

Follow your state's protocol on who to notify of the incident and send the appropriate written game report. Send courtesy copies to your assignor, league commissioner, and local association. Be sure to include the fact of the lack of on site game management during the incident.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

With 30 seconds left and a potential riot (I've seen smaller incidents than yours go full blown, so I'm not being hyperbolic) on your hands, ending the game was reasonable. I'd be prepared to defend your decision though, so you might write down everything that went through your mind.

Ejecting the coaches (which, ultimately was moot since you ended the game) was a "you're there and I'm not" deal, so I won't second guess you. I'd back you up 100% if I thought there was even the least bit of justification for that, and there is: coaches squaring off, with or without punches, is a flagrant T* for both. Using the "n" word under ANY circumstances is also a flagrant T.

I wouldn't worry about the AD/Principal. They'll find out soon enough.

* 4.19.4 "technical non contact foul which displays unacceptable conduct." You have solid rules support for the ejections.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dpk933
By the way no AD in the building. Couldn't find the on site administrator. When we did find him he had nothing to say.
Sounds like EVERY game I have worked out here in Colorado! And in some instances you can't find them at all!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dpk933
perriforal (SP?) vision
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Using the "n" word under ANY circumstances is also a flagrant T.
...under ANY circumstances?

What if a black player called another black player that?

What if a black player "affectionately" used this term with his own black teammate? i.e. "Good shot N....."

What if a black player called a white player "Honkey" or "Cracker"?

What if a white player used the term with his own white teammate? i.e. "Good shot Honkey"?

A lot of "what ifs"...

If I've said it once...I've said it a thousand times...
"It's not WHAT they say...it's HOW they say it."

Just my personal philosophy and opinion on the subject.

(POP! wiggle, wiggle, wiggle...the sound of a can of worms)

[Edited by RookieDude on Jan 25th, 2006 at 02:46 PM]
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

What if a black player "affectionately" used this term with his own black teammate? i.e. "Good shot N....."

What if a white player used the term with his own white teammate? i.e. "Good shot Honkey"?

A lot of "what ifs"...

Oh Boy. Here we go. Where's Rut.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

A lot of "what ifs"...

Oh Boy. Here we go. Where's Rut.
I'd bet my Seahawks vs. Steelers Super Bowl Tickets, (if I had any), that JRut wouldn't necessarily give a kid 2 T's for using racial slurs. He might give 1 T...he might give a good talking to the players...but, flagrant ejection? I don't think he would say it is automatic.

We'll see...
Richland, WA