Black means black.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 12:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
He'll be taking it off.

Black means black.
What about faded black? Or what if you have an Opal Black jersey and you wear a plain black undershirt? Does that apply too?

Peace
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 01:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Are You Taking Mark's Meds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have a question for coaches. Why not have your kids wear the right colors or no undershirt at all and you will not have to worry about what an official says or does not say? As a coach don't you control what your kids wear?
JRut - this would be great! Unfortunately, I personally haven't seen it applied yet.

It is my understanding that it is a requirement that a member of each school have a representative at our State's Mandatory Meeting annually - so they hear it each yr and it shouldn't be a surprise......
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 01:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
How about navy blue under black? You know there is going to be at least one kid
Quote:
He'll be taking it off.

Black means black.
I'm color blind, I would literally have to stare at the kids for about 5 minutes to notice.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm color blind, I would literally have to stare at the kids for about 5 minutes to notice.

Hopefully, you don't do too many games with a one man crew.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 01:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Hopefully, you don't do too many games with a one man crew.
There are have been many games where I would report a team as 'black' and then when my partners have a call I notice them saying 'red'.

In AAU and summer leagues I quite often have to ask players what color they are wearing.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 01:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
BTW, I agree that white is not yellow, is not vegas gold nor is it a similar color. White under a gold jersey is not even close.
But understand the spirit of the rule and why it was written -- to prevent confusion. (i.e. undershirts of one team are similar in color to their opponents uniform)

Is white or yellow similar enough to gold that it will not cause confusion? Yes.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 02:02pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
3) The uniform “tuck-in rule” is a pet-peeve of ours and we have been instructed to enforce it at all times on the court and not allow players to enter the court if they are not ready.
My pet peeve is guys that don't know how to administer this rule well. It is easy to get kids to tuck in their shirts and you don't have to embarrass them or make a spectacle about it.

I was working with a co-official a few years ago who had just called a very weak foul on a player, giving him his 4th foul. The coach tried to sub in for his player and my co-official didn't want to let the sub in because his jersey wasn't tucked in!

This is a complete lack of game awareness -- he had no idea it was the kid's 4th foul, it was a terrible call to begin with (foul on a blocked shot), and then wants to compound problems by not allowing the sub in! (I told the kid to tuck his shirt in and come in the game)

It's just been my experience that the guys that are hung up on shirttails, undershirt colors, and other minute details of the rules, generally can't referee.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The coach tried to sub in for his player and my co-official didn't want to let the sub in because his jersey wasn't tucked in!
If it's not going to slow or halt the game, just have the kid tuck in his shirt (as you did -- good job) and get him on the floor.

Obviously, removing an undershirt or switching to a different color can't be done without leaving the game area, so that's a different scenario.

Sounds like your partner that game must have been the guy who spends a buck to save 25 cents. Or is so proud of his gold medal, he bronzes it.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldnt surprise me if they show up in navy...But yes, black should make my life at least a little bit easier.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 03:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
My pet peeve is guys that don't know how to administer this rule well. It is easy to get kids to tuck in their shirts and you don't have to embarrass them or make a spectacle about it.
Not going to disagree on principle here and as the player comes on to the court, I have no problem having them "tuck it in."

I'm just saying what we've been instructed to do - it does slow the game down, "i.e. - "Coach, I need another player as this ones not ready to go." By the time the new player comes off the bench the original player has his shirt in and is ready to go. Guess their "point" is to teach the player a lesson......I'm not a big fan.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 03:38pm
We don't rent pigs

If a kid is at least in the process of tucking the shirt as he enters, I say he's okay. But if this kid has his shirt totally out, and wants to enter, he's out of luck. Why is the shirttail out in the first place? If I'm the coach, I tell my entire team that if they want to play in the game, they need to be entirely ready to go in at a moments notice. This would include the shirttail.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Not going to disagree on principle here and as the player comes on to the court, I have no problem having them "tuck it in."

I'm just saying what we've been instructed to do - it does slow the game down, "i.e. - "Coach, I need another player as this ones not ready to go." By the time the new player comes off the bench the original player has his shirt in and is ready to go. Guess their "point" is to teach the player a lesson......I'm not a big fan.
I'm not a big fan either BUT, our association and state association takes the position that the head coach is responsible for the bench personnel and subs and, if a sub comes to the table and attempts to enter with his/her shirt tail out, they don't come in. The rationale is that it is the coach's responsibility to make sure subs are ready and we are justified in not allowing the sub in the game. We are instructed to address this position with the coach's at the pre-game conference and enforce it. We had an official lose a state tournament assignment in a later round becuase he allowed subs to "tuck it in" as they were entering the game from the table. The state rep told him after the game that the head coach had plenty of opportunity to have that sub ready and chose not to do it. The punishment to the coach is his/her sub doesn't come in. The state rep called our assignor and told him not to allow the official to work in later rounds based upon his "non-enforcement" of rules. Pretty harsh but when in Rome...
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 04:17pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
We had an official lose a state tournament assignment in a later round because he allowed subs to "tuck it in" as they were entering the game from the table.
This is completely and utterly absurd.
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This is completely and utterly absurd.
Brad, holding your emotions in like this is only going to hurt you in the long run. Let it out, man.