The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Referee tells you in the pregame that if A1 runs squarely into B1's chest, he's calling a player control even if B1 is still moving.

As U2, do you adjust your philosophy during this game so that calls are consistent?
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Referee tells you in the pregame that if A1 runs squarely into B1's chest, he's calling a player control even if B1 is still moving.

As U2, do you adjust your philosophy during this game so that calls are consistent?
No - tell him to do so. If he doesn't like it - tough noogies.

Let's take an unrealistic extreme example to make the point. What if he told you he was going to call all holding as a travel on the offensive player? Would you do it also just to be consistent? Of course not. The point is that you cannot lower your standards of professionalism just because someone else does it. If you do this all the time, you'll just become worse.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Feb 21st, 2005 at 01:31 PM]
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Why can't B1 be moving??? Once he establishes LGP, he can move away from or laterally to A1. So... B1 can be moving and still draw a PC foul.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking. After discussion I held my breath knowing that someone was about to get into trouble. Well, you guess it. Very first flop was right in front of the Referee who appropriately "no called" it. Discussion at half time was certainly interesting.

Certainly there are certain situations that calls can be predetermined, i.e., hand checks, post play, moving screens. But these are "situations" and not actual calls. Difference between philosophy and reality.

Whenever I have someone postulating a specific call, all I can hear is, "Run Will Robinson, run! Danger!" I also know I have someone who may be lacking in experience, doesn't fully appreciate or understand what they are saying or someone who is about to get a crew into trouble.

Philosophies are discussed during pregame and actual calls are made out on the floor dependent on varying circumstances.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Why can't B1 be moving??? Once he establishes LGP, he can move away from or laterally to A1. So... B1 can be moving and still draw a PC foul.
I'm wondering the same thing.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking.
That is completely ridiculous. He's making up his own damn rules to call. A flop is a "T", not a block. You also never during pre-game tell anybody what you are or aren't going to call. The game has too many variables to lock yourself into anything like that.

Lah me. My sympathy for having to work with that maroon.
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, the original post never said anything about B1 ever establishing legal guarding position...
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't say he didn't either....
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
Had this the other night. Referee during pregame established that any/all attempts to draw a charge call by flopping were to be called blocking.
That is completely ridiculous. He's making up his own damn rules to call. A flop is a "T", not a block. You also never during pre-game tell anybody what you are or aren't going to call. The game has too many variables to lock yourself into anything like that.

Lah me. My sympathy for having to work with that maroon.
Yep, but sure changed things after the first "flop". Too many try to "plan" the game rather than "prepare" for the game and trouble almost always gets into the way of the "planners". About the only thing I "plan" is where to eat afterwards...