The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:05pm
#thereferee99
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 624
Crew Consistency

I have been making a concerted effort to use the correct terminology and language from the rules book.

This leads to communication during games such as:

"White ball endline!"

"Blue ball at the division line"

"55 get out of the lane"

"Two throws!"

etc.

Most if not all partners that I have use "key", "baseline", "shots", etc.
This is a common language amongst players, fans, coaches and officials.
I understand that.

My question is should I consider changing my language to match partners in an effort to ensure crew consistency?
__________________
-- #thereferee99

Last edited by referee99; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 12:17pm. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,477
NO. Talk like an official, not a moron.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:20pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Most if not all partners that I have use "key", "baseline", "shots", etc.
This is a common language amongst players, fans, coaches and officials.
I understand that.

My question is should I consider changing my language to match partners in an effort to ensure crew consistency?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NO. Talk like an official, not a moron.
Okay, I understand the sentiment here, especially with things like "reach" and "over the back," but I'm not sure how the terms noted above indicate a "moron." How are they detrimental terms?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NO. Talk like an official, not a moron.
Ah, good see the real Nevada came back.

I do agree in principle that using the language and terms in the rule book is a great idea, and you can never be faulted for doing it the "right way". But remember our job is not only to adjudicate, but also communicate, whether it's by verbal or non-verbal methods. So if you occasionally use a common phrase that is more understood by the masses, on an extra signal that helps explain what really happened, I don't think that makes you a moron. (Just don't use the over-the-back phrase or "reach"; those grate on my nerves as well.)

I will also nit-pick one of the phrases you mentioned - I don't mention specific player numbers when trying to talk them out of possible violations. If a coach hears that, they are more likely to say, "Why are you telling 55 to get out of the lane? Why not just call the violation on 55?" If you remain vague, ("Keep moving", for example) the players might catch it, but the coach might not.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:42pm
#thereferee99
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 624
I hear ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Ah, good see the real Nevada came back.
I'm not sure about Nevada's response. He did say NO to my question about whether I should consider changing... So I'm unharmed (so far)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I will also nit-pick one of the phrases you mentioned - I don't mention specific player numbers when trying to talk them out of possible violations. If a coach hears that, they are more likely to say, "Why are you telling 55 to get out of the lane? Why not just call the violation on 55?" If you remain vague, ("Keep moving", for example) the players might catch it, but the coach might not.
You know I just read something from someone else about not being player specific about warnings. To clarify, I'm talking to players early in game, letting them know I'm aware of them and what they are doing -- preventative officiating. But I am going to try to avoid the specific numbers going forward.
__________________
-- #thereferee99
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 12:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Okay, I understand the sentiment here, especially with things like "reach" and "over the back," but I'm not sure how the terms noted above indicate a "moron." How are they detrimental terms?
I'm with you - I have no problem with "key", "baseline", "shots".
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:04pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'm with you - I have no problem with "key", "baseline", "shots".
I don't use "key" and "baseline," I just point and say, "white ball right there." I do, however, use "shots" when referring to free throws.

"Two shots, partner."

When administering, I'll say "Two shots," to the players.

Or, conversely, "One shot, let it hit."
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,899
If you can use the rulebook language, but we do have jargon that is acceptable and understood in our game. I would not worry about using that jargon as long as it is accurate and easily understood. I do not know anyone that would get upset (not in real life) if you said "Key" or "Baseline." If this is what you are really worried about or an assignor is worried about this, then you or they have too much to worry about. These terms are not the same as saying "over the back" or "moving screen" while calling fouls. This is a completely different set of circumstances if you ask me.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: kansas
Posts: 155
55 out of the lane

I learned at a recent camp from a very veteran official..

"White, keep moving"

It is a game management tool. Coach can not say you are favoring one team or to call the violation. It works just the same and causes no controversy.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:59pm
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I learned at a recent camp from a very veteran official..

"White, keep moving"

It is a game management tool. Coach can not say you are favoring one team or to call the violation. It works just the same and causes no controversy.

Strange, I too learned at a recent camp from a very veteran official...

Use no colors or numbers.

Reasoning:
On one end you (L) say "white keep moving" or "55 out the lane" & on the other end your partner (L) hits them with a 3 second violation. Now who's coaching who? I'm sure the coach is wondering why the crew helped on one end but not the other. Especially if this scenario happens in the first half, know what I mean?

Last edited by Ch1town; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 02:24pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,899
I have been taught several times to always use color and the place the ball will go (no exceptions). I guess this is a "When in Rome...." situation.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:21pm
#thereferee99
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 624
i can dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Strange, I too learned at a recent camp from a very veteran official...

Use no colors or numbers.

Reasoning:
On one end you (L) say "white keep moving" or "55 out the lane" & on the other end your partner (L) hits them with a 3 second violation. Now who's coaching who? I'm sure the coach is wondering why the crew helped on one end but not the other. Especially if this scenario happens in the first half, know what I mean?
will be going into practice at 5:30pm local time today.
__________________
-- #thereferee99
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'm with you - I have no problem with "key", "baseline", "shots".
How about "on the floor?"
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 03:00pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
How about "on the floor?"
I never use this one, but I hear "veteran" officials use it occasionally.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 03:23pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
I have been making a concerted effort to use the correct terminology and language from the rules book.

This leads to communication during games such as:

"White ball endline!"

"Blue ball at the division line"

"55 get out of the lane"

"Two throws!"

etc.

Most if not all partners that I have use "key", "baseline", "shots", etc.
This is a common language amongst players, fans, coaches and officials.
I understand that.

My question is should I consider changing my language to match partners in an effort to ensure crew consistency?
I use words like "baseline" and "2 shots" all the time...and if there is one aspect of my officiating that I'm all receiving kudos for it's communicating with my partners....so I'll probably continue to use those moronic terms.

There is a big difference between saying "Blue ball at half court" and reporting an "over the back" at the scorer's table. But that's just my humble opinion.

But there is nothing wrong with you using the correct terminology. There is no reason for you to change that.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call Consistency as a Crew cewingate Basketball 89 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29pm
Consistency? lrpalmer3 Basketball 8 Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:06pm
Consistency among officials rwest Basketball 13 Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:19pm
consistency crew Basketball 6 Wed Dec 05, 2001 05:35pm
CONSISTENCY The Bald Eagle Basketball 5 Fri Jan 14, 2000 06:27am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1