The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

consistency, it is a very important issue in a game. not just the game but in the state, on a greater scale all states. as officials attend summer camps it is for many reasons.(in no particular order)
#1. you attend a camp to learn new info. and better ways to officiate the game. not to stay in the same rut yr after yr. dont go to camp and look at it as just a try out.
#2. upon learning new info you learn the same info as other officials and increases consistency among officials.
#3. at most camps clinicians offer feed back and even better game tape breakdown. it is important to watch game tape: to look at posture, positioning, primary, play calling, believability, and determining how athletic you look in the game. are you overweight? need to bulk up?
#4. be your own worst critic! when you miss a play admit it, and get it right the next time, dont make excuses for your self or you may never get better.

if all officials would watch just a few tapes a yr.(25%of your games) consistency would increase.

any comments or feedback, please respond with additons positive or neg.

[Edited by crew on Dec 4th, 2001 at 02:19 AM]
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Video Tape

What a novel idea!

Around here, unless you are working a varsity or college game, you will not have tape. Of course, you could bring your own "Crew" (Pun intended) to shoot the game!

Valid point:
I will need to recruit a friend (pay) to get some video footage. I had previously thought about this... Now, I am inspired to follow-through.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Re: Video Tape

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
What a novel idea!

Around here, unless you are working a varsity or college game, you will not have tape. Of course, you could bring your own "Crew" (Pun intended) to shoot the game!

Valid point:
I will need to recruit a friend (pay) to get some video footage. I had previously thought about this... Now, I am inspired to follow-through.
willie,
Once you use a tape, you will be amazed.
The tape don't tell lies.
Do it.
mick
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

a suggestion

i went to walmart and for 50 bucks you could buy a cheap vcr. i take it most every game and plug it into the schools camera. there is usually a kid filming the game, i buy him a coke and a hotdog and he is more than willing to press the record button for me. and even at some schools i just bring a tape and a self adressed manilla folder and the coach will dub the game tape and send it to me in a bout a week. cost-3 and some change. the downfall to the latter idea is that i forget some plays i would like to remember. good luck
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Video Tape

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Will you pay travel from California too????

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

crew thanks for the idea about the cheap vcr. will any one plug into any camera? I would like any info you may have as I will probably run right out and do this. [email protected] I get my uncle/mentor who refs JuCo ball to film me a couple times a year, but if you really work on your faults the film soon becomes outdated and also I hate imposing on other people.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
crew thanks for the idea about the cheap vcr. will any one plug into any camera? I would like any info you may have as I will probably run right out and do this. [email protected] I get my uncle/mentor who refs JuCo ball to film me a couple times a year, but if you really work on your faults the film soon becomes outdated and also I hate imposing on other people.
With the right cables (and you might need a few sets), most VCRs will interface with most camcorders.