The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Please respond to the following:
Is there any formal instruction that referees can receive in terms of consistency during a basketball game. I sometimes find that calls change based on the score, time left, or level of a game. What are some ways that you ensure that both you and your partner are being consistent? In addition, how do I handle coaches who keep complaining that many of the calls my partner and I are making aren't consistent? As you can tell, I'm rather green--please help me.
--The Bald Eagle
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Consistancy can be gained in two words. Experience and Camps. Also, watch what your partner calls and call the same thing.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 03:37pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden on 01-12-2000 02:30 PM
Consistancy can be gained in two words. Experience and Camps. Also, watch what your partner calls and call the same thing.

I agree - or tell your partner to quit calling something a certain way if he is wrong. (Of course, I suggest that you know this guy personally before you go giving him tips on officiating!)

It's always good to talk between quarters, at halftime, other time-outs, etc. with your partner to make sure you are both on the same page.

With all that being said, please don't make a call on one end just because something that "looked like it" happened on the other end. If you have a player control on one end and then you have a similar crash at the other, but the defender did not have legal guarding position (slid under an airborne shooter for example), please make the correct call - a block. Calling a player control foul in this instance is not "being consistant" - it is just being consistently bad.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2000, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Bald Eagle,
One of the most important things to learn as you move up in your officiating career is to have a positive pregame with your partner. That is the time when you really need to make sure that you are both on the same page. Also, watch how the "Good" veteran officials manage their games; experience will help you immeasurably.
TGR
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Bald Eagle,

When you work a game please have a pregame, talk with your partner and plan how you want to approach the game. Make sure that if your partner calls a foul that you also call that foul. If your partner is letting some actions go you let them go as well. When you watch a game and you are in the stands or watching TV ref the game. Yes go to camps, and ask the what if that should happen.

Good Luck

------------------
Don
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Bald Eagle,
I echo these other replies, but I also add that experience breeds consistency, and consistency leads to better officiating and maturation as an official. The keys are to take everything in proper steps and make sure you are ready to move up before taking the plunge. I am only 27 and been refereeing for 5 seasons, but I have been fortunate enough to be chosen by my peers as one of the top 25 officials in my association. This was done, by a humble attitude, listening to more experienced officials, attending camps, and most importantly, applying the knowledge from these sources to the "hands on" training on the floor. All the camps and advice in the world will do you no good if it isn't put into practice. Also, don't rush yourself into moving up too fast. I have a friend that jumped up to juco too soon and he is stuck between the juco coaches scratching him, and the high school coaches not wanting him because they think HE considers himself "above" the high school game. So be smart and be patient. Good luck to all.