The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Difference in ruling on same casebook play?

Please look at the ruling on 2.10.1.D and the ruling on 2.10.1.G.d. In both plays B1 has the ball out of bounds for a throwin after a successful unmerited free throw.

The POI ruling in 2.10.1.D goes to arrow since no goal has been scored. B1 had the ball for a throwin.

The ruling in 2.10.1.G.d the POI goes to B since B1 had the ball for a throwin.

Am I misreading this or is this not the same play - successful unmerited free throw(s) with B1 standing out of bounds for the throwin? One time they go to arrow and one time they go to B1 because he was standing outofbounds?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:41pm
#thereferee99

in the 2nd, the game has continued from the spot of the foul. Even though we are cancelling the points scored, the game continued. Team B took the ball out of the basket after the 2nd made throw, stepped out of bounds and was looking to make a throw-in. This was the POI -- when the officials were notified of the error.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 02:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Please look at the ruling on 2.10.1.D and the ruling on 2.10.1.G.d. In both plays B1 has the ball out of bounds for a throwin after a successful unmerited free throw.

The POI ruling in 2.10.1.D goes to arrow since no goal has been scored. B1 had the ball for a throwin.

The ruling in 2.10.1.G.d the POI goes to B since B1 had the ball for a throwin.

Am I misreading this or is this not the same play - successful unmerited free throw(s) with B1 standing out of bounds for the throwin? One time they go to arrow and one time they go to B1 because he was standing outofbounds?

Ronny:

They are NOT the same play.

Play 2.10.1.D: A1 was to be awarded a one plus one bonus free throw. A1 was erroneously awarded two free throw of which the first one was unsuccessful and the second one was successful. The Correctable Error (CE) was the awarding of a second free throw to A1. Therefore, the POI of interruption is when A1's free throw is missed; at this point there is not Team Control (TC) and therefore the ball is put back into play using the AP Arrow.

Play 2.10.1.G(d): A1 was erroneously awarded free throws instead of Team A being awarded a throw-in for B1's foul. The CE was discovered within the appropriate time frame. Since the correction was the canceling of A1's succesful free throws and Team B's throw-in for the erroneously awarded free throws, play resumes at the POI which is the awarding of a throw-in to Team A, which is the correct penalty for B1's foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ronny:

Play 2.10.1.G(d): A1 was erroneously awarded free throws instead of Team A being awarded a throw-in for B1's foul. The CE was discovered within the appropriate time frame. Since the correction was the canceling of A1's succesful free throws and Team B's throw-in for the erroneously awarded free throws, play resumes at the POI which is the awarding of a throw-in to Team A, which is the correct penalty for B1's foul.

MTD, Sr.
This is not the ruling on this play.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This is not the ruling on this play.

OPPS!!

I misread the RULING, but having read the RULING more closely, I am not sure that Team B should be awarded the throw-in. I am inclined to say that the POI is the erroneously awarding free throws to A1.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ronny:

They are NOT the same play.

Play 2.10.1.D: A1 was to be awarded a one plus one bonus free throw. A1 was erroneously awarded two free throw of which the first one was unsuccessful and the second one was successful. The Correctable Error (CE) was the awarding of a second free throw to A1. Therefore, the POI of interruption is when A1's free throw is missed; at this point there is not Team Control (TC) and therefore the ball is put back into play using the AP Arrow.

MTD, Sr.
MTD,

In the 2nd case play (play d) they gave the ball back to Team B - not Team A - because B1 had the ball out of bounds.

Besides doesn't POI have more to do with WHERE was the interruption when the error was discovered, instead of WHEN did the error occur? What if B1 had thrown the ball in and Team B froze the ball for 4 minutes and then the error was discovered during a time out. The POI would be at the place the ball was near at the time of the T.O.

In the case plays, both times B1 was standing out of bounds with the ball for a thowin when the error was discovered. And, both times was after an umerited successful f.throw.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:08pm
We don't rent pigs

This play is the opposite of the play where A is not awarded free throws and is awarded a throw-in. When discovered, if change of possession has occurred, and A has the ball again, now A gets both the free throws and the ball. In this case, the error is discovered while B has the ball, so B keeps the ball and A gets..........nothing.
Seems harsh when described this way, but if several possession had taken place since the error it seems less severe. For better or for worse, this is where the committee chose to draw the lines in this rule.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
MTD,

In the 2nd case play (play d) they gave the ball back to Team B - not Team A - because B1 had the ball out of bounds.

Besides doesn't POI have more to do with WHERE was the interruption when the error was discovered, instead of WHEN did the error occur? What if B1 had thrown the ball in and Team B froze the ball for 4 minutes and then the error was discovered during a time out. The POI would be at the place the ball was near at the time of the T.O.

In the case plays, both times B1 was standing out of bounds with the ball for a thowin when the error was discovered. And, both times was after an umerited successful f.throw.

Ronny:

Read my post immediately before your latest post.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have the books handy, but I'm 93.5% certain that:

1) D is a new case

2) It was discussed here when it was first issued (said so you can search to get more information)

3) Most of us here disagree with the ruling (it's as if the rule was changed from "POI" to "do-over.")
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't have the books handy, but I'm 93.5% certain that:

1) D is a new case

2) It was discussed here when it was first issued (said so you can search to get more information)

3) Most of us here disagree with the ruling (it's as if the rule was changed from "POI" to "do-over.")
Bob and MTD,

So, you kinda agree that the plays should be treated the same? Which case has the correct ruling (in y'alls' opinion?)

Mulk
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Do over? Mulk would never allow a do-over in one of his games!
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob and MTD,

So, you kinda agree that the plays should be treated the same? Which case has the correct ruling (in y'alls' opinion?)

Mulk

Under the current rules, I think G is the correct ruling. (said without looking at my books, and just based on the recollection of our previous discussions)
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:18am
Lighten up, Francis.

Here is the thread where we talked about this very thing:

Unmerited free throw

As I said in that thread, I think Mary Struckoff considers the POI to actually the Point of the Error, which is a mistake IMHO.

I would not be at all surprised if this ruling were "fixed" this summer.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

Unmerited free throw

As I said in that thread, I think Mary Struckoff considers the POI to actually the Point of the Error, which is a mistake IMHO.

Can they fix the stupid backcourt ruling while they're at it?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 01:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

Unmerited free throw

Do you know what is scarey? I was thinking like Mary Struckhoff. LOL

I had to go back and re-read the original thread. I have to agree with you.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio