The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 9.1.1 Casebook play, Dribbling off foot on freethrow

Just looking at this and wondering how many people try to blow the whistle and get the ball back to the shooter after they dribbled it off their foot or whatever they did to lose it, before they step across the line or before another player steps across the lane to retrieve the ball? Or do you just blow the whistle for the violation and take away the shot and if there is another shot, shot it or if not give the ball to the other team OOB.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Just looking at this and wondering how many people try to blow the whistle and get the ball back to the shooter after they dribbled it off their foot or whatever they did to lose it, before they step across the line or before another player steps across the lane to retrieve the ball? Or do you just blow the whistle for the violation and take away the shot and if there is another shot, shot it or if not give the ball to the other team OOB.
In either case of shooter or someone in the lane stepping in to get the ball, I'll probably blow the whistle and restart. If someone steps in before my whistle sounds, I can rationalize *no penalty* by having recognized the flub before anyone violated.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

So you are saying you are going against what the rules say to do in that situation? That is my reason for this question, just wondering who is going with what the rules say and who is going to be nice and give the ball back to the shooter!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So you are saying you are going against what the rules say to do in that situation? That is my reason for this question, just wondering who is going with what the rules say and who is going to be nice and give the ball back to the shooter!
If I actually see that in a game higher than 8th grade. I suppose I oughta call the violation.
But I sure do not expect to see it, ... ever.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

so what would be the call?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Funny...I actually thought the same thing about a sitch I saw in the illustrated rule book a couple of weeks ago. The one about how on a throw in by Team A, if a player from Team A catches the throw-in pass while the ball is still on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane, it’s a violation.

I saw that play in the illustrated book and scoffed, thinking “when am I ever going to see that happen?”

Turns out it was the same night. Happened in a wreck league game I was working, and because I was so flustered thinking about it, I missed the call. Not that anyone noticed.

Anyway, just goes to show you never know what you’re gonna see out there. Might as well be prepared for anything.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

You certainly never know, that is for sure!

The call is a violation according to 9.1.1, exact case book play. If they have another shot, shoot it, if not give the other team the ball for the violation!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If I actually see that in a game higher than 8th grade. I suppose I oughta call the violation.
Seriously, you don't think you would ever see it. I have seen it even at the college level. With all the fancy ways these kids like to dribble around their back and whatever else they can come up with, it happens quite a bit!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a little confused by the post --
LAST year, the rulng was "blow the whistle and give the ball back." THIS year, the ruling is "immediate violation."

While I'm not sure the current interp is supported by rule, it is what everyone expected the past several times this happened to me -- there was always a bit of discussion when we gave the ball back to the FT shooter.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen it either, Mick. Also hope I never do. Seems like a harsh penalty for clumsiness.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra44 View Post
I've never seen it either, Mick. Also hope I never do. Seems like a harsh penalty for clumsiness.
Hmm...is it too harsh a penalty if a dribbler bounces the ball off his/her foot, it rolls OOB, and we blow the whistle and give it to the other team? Why wouldn't we just give it back to the same team, especially if there was no pressure? After all, we would want to penalize a team just for clumsiness, right? Maybe we could let them shoot again if they miss due to a fumble during the shot? [sarcasm=off]

I kinda like this interp, actually. It's a live ball, in possession of a player inbounds; I've wondered why we would allow a "second chance" for the player dropping a live ball in this particular case. Of course, if they drop it while we're bouncing it to them, then let's start over, just like we would for any throw-in. But once they have it, it's up to them to keep control.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a game of mine last Friday. My partner bounced the shooter the ball, he took about one dribble and then dribbled it off his foot, so he called the violation.

Remember, if the shooter muffs the pass from the official, you get the ball and start over.