The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:04pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Boredom? No problem. Go get a $79 Apple iPod shuffle and load it up. Rap, classical, metal, whatever. I'm fixing to load mine up with audio Bible chapters.
Too funny. That's exaclty what I did as well. Only, I have a 60 GB video iPod. I found a great Catholic bible (OT+NT) for $22 as MP3s. Also found a nice NT with 10's of famous people contributing their voices. It is only the KJV, so the language is not what I truly want.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK27
Good advice Bob, thanks. I hadn't really thought about interval training, but it does make more sense than going for distance.
I disagree with this to an extent. Of course we do sprints up and down the court. But just doing an interval workout will yield little results. A few weeks in the offseason of distance training (not even that much, maybe 2-4 miles) will help your muscles...then the interval training can come after it.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotUmp
I disagree with this to an extent. Of course we do sprints up and down the court. But just doing an interval workout will yield little results. A few weeks in the offseason of distance training (not even that much, maybe 2-4 miles) will help your muscles...then the interval training can come after it.
Other than for pure long-distance/endurance racing, high intensity interval training is far more effective to increase cardiovascular and respiratory capacity. Some long-distance steady-state cardio is great for building endurance, but a long run or two a week combined with two sessions of interval training and some strength training will be much more effective - especially for officiating - than simply going out and running 3 miles.

All that said, I still run 3-4 miles a couple times a week.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Other than for pure long-distance/endurance racing, high intensity interval training is far more effective to increase cardiovascular and respiratory capacity. Some long-distance steady-state cardio is great for building endurance, but a long run or two a week combined with two sessions of interval training and some strength training will be much more effective - especially for officiating - than simply going out and running 3 miles.

All that said, I still run 3-4 miles a couple times a week.

I do somewhat of a mix of interval and steady rate distance. I try to mix it up a little and alternate to keep things interesting. One week I will do more interval and the next I will do more steady paced distance. I am trying to get the best of both worlds.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK27
I do somewhat of a mix of interval and steady rate distance. I try to mix it up a little and alternate to keep things interesting. One week I will do more interval and the next I will do more steady paced distance. I am trying to get the best of both worlds.
Sounds great...I certainly can't do the same thing every day, so I mix the steady-state with intervals, plus do some swimming and biking. Even considering training for a sprint triathlon, but being up off the couch is a big accomplishment at this point.
Old Thu May 08, 2008, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Here is my workout for the off-season. Being a full time college student it's nice to use the gym for free, even though technically i pay for it.

M-W-F: weight training with 30min of cardio. Bicep curls, triceps, lat pull downs, seat row, leg press, rotary calf, torso rotations, 320 ab cruntches, 30 min run (3.5 miles).

T-Th-Sat: hour of cardio, recumbent bike or 6mile run, 320 ab cruntches.

sunday or sat is an off day. I mix it up the routines and do different things but basically i follow this.

During the season I try to follow the same routine, but cut down on the amount exercises. so like on MWF schedule i may just do 3 exercise with 20-30 min cardio. the cardio for me before a game is a good way to warm up. But hey lets face it when the season comes around it's hard to find time in the gym. esepecially if i got drive far for a college game. But when I have the time I'm in there working out at school or at the house with my weights and bike.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Another bump. Its starting to get hotter down here even early in the morning. I didn't think the heat that early would kick in until mid-June. Makes the runs a bit tougher, but will pay dividends in late August when football starts.

How's everyone else coming along?
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Another bump to see how things are coming along. For me, conditioning is improved and due to the heat in the morning, I'm not terribly worried about scrimmages and games starting in a couple of weeks (for football). By basketball season, I'll need new pants.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Another bump to see how things are coming along. For me, conditioning is improved and due to the heat in the morning, I'm not terribly worried about scrimmages and games starting in a couple of weeks (for football). By basketball season, I'll need new pants.
I have slacked off a little in the morning with the heat, but all in all still moving along. On the mornings I don't run, I do ride my bike for a while, so at least I am getting something done.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 05:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

I've dropped 20lbs since March 1st. Lots of cardio (varied: eliptical; treadmill; spinning; jogging), lite weight-lifting, once-a-week pick-up basketball. Also, though not on a diet, I've improved my diet greatly.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

I'm now down over 50 lbs. since last November. Consistent working out for the first time in over 10 years has made a world of difference for me - camp season was incredibly easy physically, relative to the season and last year.

Up through the spring I was focused on a lot of interval training and weight lifting with my longest runs being 3-4 miles. This summer I've started triathlon training and now swim, bike and run a lot. 40-50 mile bike rides once a week, a long run (8-10 miles), and then shorter rides, runs, and a bit of pool time in between. It's all made a huge difference in my cardiovascular fitness.

I'm planning to get back to some speed training and in the weight room more consistently again after I complete my last triathlon in early fall so I can be ready for the season.

I will never go back to not working out, as long as I am physically able. I feel so much better (and lighter!) than before.