The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Gameday Routine?

I'm interested in hearing from any of you who have a gameday routine - not necessarily pre-game in the traditional sense, but anything you do on a game day throughout the day? Meals you eat, activities you do, things you focus on/think about?

Obviously work is a big part of most of our days, but anything anybody does to mentally and/or physically prepare on game days - and anything that may be different based on the type of game you're doing - would be appreciated.

I'm an eat high energy food, stay loose throughout the day, and focus on the game on my drive kind of guy, but am interested in the mental aspects of preparing and wouldn't mind trying to find ways to incorporate more pieces into my day that may help me be better prepared come tip off.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

My routine

The last two years I have created an Imix CD for car ride. I listen to it on way to site and it helps me stop thinking life and just think basketball. Just my .2 cents.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
The last two years I have created an Imix CD for car ride. I listen to it on way to site and it helps me stop thinking life and just think basketball. Just my .2 cents.
Just out of curiosity, what's on your CD?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'd love to get in that routine, but my life is just too hectic right now.. I have a 2 and 5 year old, so a routine is a loose concept at this stage of my life.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

sarcastic at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
Just my .2 cents.
What does .2 cents look like? do you have to have 5 of them to have one penny?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

some of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Just out of curiosity, what's on your CD?
80's music - when I played in hs, our run out on floor song was Kenny Loggins "this is it", so thats one from last years CD. This year its Daughtry, Rhianna, Rascal Flatts, Pink, Michael Stanley Bank (local Cleveland band), Kt Tunstall's "suddenly I see" (how appropriate) and Tracy Lawrences "find out who your friends are" another important one.

I am a SAHM Domestic CEO, with 4 yr old b/g twins and a 10 yr old. Thats why I have the music and need to let go of all of it before I step on the court.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
don't you know we have our own currency in KY?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
80's music - when I played in hs, our run out on floor song was Kenny Loggins "this is it", so thats one from last years CD. This year its Daughtry, Rhianna, Rascal Flatts, Pink, Michael Stanley Bank (local Cleveland band), Kt Tunstall's "suddenly I see" (how appropriate) and Tracy Lawrences "find out who your friends are" another important one.

I am a SAHM Domestic CEO, with 4 yr old b/g twins and a 10 yr old. Thats why I have the music and need to let go of all of it before I step on the court.
How about some AC/DC, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple? that'll get your mind off the kids and whatever you need to let go. Preferably just loud enough to block out road/car noise!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
CLASSIC! Did you follow the guy that MP3'd his dealings with a US cell comapny when they didn't understand the whole decimal point thing either?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
How about some AC/DC, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple? that'll get your mind off the kids and whatever you need to let go. Preferably just loud enough to block out road/car noise!

Dont want to get too heavy.. I like those choices, but cant go as far as korn or limp bizkut or somthing like that cause you dont want to be too agressive on court.

I like fort minor, metalica, but I always finish it off with c & c music factory...

"I GOT THE POWER!!!!"

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I'm interested in hearing from any of you who have a gameday routine - not necessarily pre-game in the traditional sense, but anything you do on a game day throughout the day? Meals you eat, activities you do, things you focus on/think about?

Obviously work is a big part of most of our days, but anything anybody does to mentally and/or physically prepare on game days - and anything that may be different based on the type of game you're doing - would be appreciated.

I'm an eat high energy food, stay loose throughout the day, and focus on the game on my drive kind of guy, but am interested in the mental aspects of preparing and wouldn't mind trying to find ways to incorporate more pieces into my day that may help me be better prepared come tip off.
I stay in a set routine, get up around 6:30, shower, shave, have a light bite to eat, maybe catch the news, kiss my sweety goodbye.

I then go home to my wife and kids.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Dont want to get too heavy.. I like those choices, but cant go as far as korn or limp bizkut or somthing like that cause you dont want to be too agressive on court.

I like fort minor, metalica, but I always finish it off with c & c music factory...

"I GOT THE POWER!!!!"
Yeah, can't get toooo heavy - but I like to start with a long play "Smoke on the Water" just to get into the driving groove - also - gotta have at least a little Zepplin
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ha ha ha... After reading some of the responses, my new thing on game day is to throw up......

Kenny Loggins?

I usually just make sure I get there on time.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I come here look to the board to get material to discuss during pre-game.

On ride to game site listen to XM radio Suite 62

At game site; look over notes in journal.

Get dressed; greet partner(s); pre-game.

Even at lower level I get to game site 1 hour prior to relax a little
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Even at lower level I get to game site 1 hour prior to relax a little
Yep...I have to arrive early enough to get "game ready" regardless of the level or I just don't feel 'into' the game.

And there's nothing worse for me than getting a few minutes behind on my way to a varsity game and feeling rushed - those are the games where I struggle the most.