The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra
I find that variety is the key when it comes to workouts....for strength training as well as cardio....

I like to change up my routine every few weeks. It keeps my body "challenged" and keeps me from getting bored with workouts.

I just finished my first year of officiating and found that, at least during the season, I don't need to lift as much. I felt too "muscle-bound" I guess, and at times didn't feel as "fluid" as I thought I should. I backed off the lifting some during the season and seemed to feel better. I'll definately remember that next year!
I like the changing it up routine. I tend to get bored with the same thing, so that will be really helpful.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I won't post my specific training plan because I don't think it will be helpful generally (I train for marathons and so run a lot), but I will add one important point that I haven't yet seen mentioned in this thread (perhaps I missed it...) and echo a few others:

1. Don't forget to include a serious stretching and flexibility routine as a part of ANY training program. Your flexiblity will go a long way toward helping you avoid injury.

2. I agree with others that core strengthening is very important.

3. I agree with others that the running that officials do is not just straight and at a distance, so including intervals, shuttles and other types of speed work are helpful.

4. Although you certainly don't need marathoning endurance, I think endurance training helps officials be better. It's easier to be focused and mentally sharp when you're not tired (that's true for anything) and so making sure that you have the endurance to do the necessary running is important.

When I finally committed to getting in shape, it had a whole bunch of benefits for my life, including but by no means limited to, my officiating. I think getting in shape and being in shape is a gift you keep giving to yourself and your loved ones.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your input bgtg19, you make some really good points. I will be including some serious stretching in my routine, I want to make sure I am as flexible as I can be. Your advice, as well as everyone else's, is very much appreciated.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, What part of Illinois are you from? You should join an association. Several guys on here can steer you in the right direction.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
Mike, What part of Illinois are you from? You should join an association. Several guys on here can steer you in the right direction.
I am from the Western side about an hour from Iowa. I used to work with a guy that is a basketball referee and that was the first direction he pointed me. So, I contacted my local association and sent in my check. They seemed pretty eager to talk to me, so I am sure they will be a big help too.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I belong to 2 and they have both been more help than I ever imagined. Just be patient and learn from the vets. Pick up some summer games too. They help alot. Good luck.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
When I finally committed to getting in shape, it had a whole bunch of benefits for my life, including but by no means limited to, my officiating. I think getting in shape and being in shape is a gift you keep giving to yourself and your loved ones.
I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I'm still relatively young, and was getting by on that (and that alone) while packing on a couple pounds a year every year. This year was finally enough. For the first time since high school I'm doing some sort of regular exercise and the benefits outside of officiating have been tremendous.

I'll never go back.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmanwalking
Mike, I belong to 2 and they have both been more help than I ever imagined. Just be patient and learn from the vets. Pick up some summer games too. They help alot. Good luck.
I am ready to learn whatever they want to teach me. Between the experienced referees and hanging out here, I will pick up a lot of knowledge. I had been thinking about doing this for quite a while, now I only wish I would have sooner.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I'm still relatively young, and was getting by on that (and that alone) while packing on a couple pounds a year every year. This year was finally enough. For the first time since high school I'm doing some sort of regular exercise and the benefits outside of officiating have been tremendous.

I'll never go back.
I am in the same position, every year I seem to gain a little more. So, now it is time to take care of things.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 07:26pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What's wrong with clown pants? These are mine. They look great with my ref jersey.

Hey! Those match my shoes!
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Although you certainly don't need marathoning endurance, I think endurance training helps officials be better. It's easier to be focused and mentally sharp when you're not tired (that's true for anything)
This is an excellent point that needs to be emphasized in a slightly different context: if you can work through discomfort (if in real pain, you need to see a doc) in your routine, that will make you that much stronger mentally for those tough games or the ends of those double or triple headers. I think a lot of our fatigue isn't physical but mental. Tough day at work; partner is running a few minutes late; dealing with coaches and know it all table crew; etc. Heck, sometimes I'm worn out before the ball is tossed!

Teach yourself to put the discomfort (or bad stuff on the floor) out of your mind. You will be a much better official.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Weigh yourself and document your weight. I weigh myself every Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday after working out. I'm always heaviest on Monday and my lightest on Thursday's, the one day a week I play pick-up basketball.
Hate to break it to you, but that's probably only because you sweat the most on that day.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 07:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Hate to break it to you, but that's probably only because you sweat the most on that day.
Gee, never thought of that.

My point is that I compare my weight week-to-week--last 4 Monday's, last 4 Tuesday's, last 4 Thursday's; not day-to-day. My weight fluctuates 3-4 lbs during the week. But if this Monday (my high weight) I start off 2lbs lighter than last Monday then hopefully my Thursday weigh-in (my low weight) will be 2lbs lighter than last Thursday.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Isometrics

Almost forgot to add, but a good way to build tone and strengthen your knees is to do isometric exercises. One example would be to straighten your knee, contract and release your quads, then repeat a few times. You won't burn many calories, but you'll bulk up the quadriceps muscles and give more support and strength to the knee.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Almost forgot to add, but a good way to build tone and strengthen your knees is to do isometric exercises. One example would be to straighten your knee, contract and release your quads, then repeat a few times. You won't burn many calories, but you'll bulk up the quadriceps muscles and give more support and strength to the knee.
Good piece of advice. I have never done any isometric exercises before, so I will have to do a little research to see how there done. I have heard the term before, but can't remember where I heard it now.