The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Best Exercise

I'm reaching the age where I think the benefits of running are starting to be outweighed by the wear and tear on my knees. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to keep in shape for football to replace jogging? Bicycling? Roller Baldes? A certain type of exercise machine? I didn't mind running but I'm not sure if it's still the best idea for me.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm an avid cyclist and the wear and tear is minimal. Some say it's a bit hard on the lower back but abdominal work helps that. The down side to that is finding places to ride. I'm lucky because I have plenty of wide highways with shoulders around my small town plus hike bike trails plus mountain bike trails to ride. If you're in a big city you should be able to find hike bike trails so you can stay off the streets and you should be able to find lots of cycling groups/clubs to ride with.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Swimming or the elyptical machine. Swimming is some of the best excercise you can get with NO impact.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

As another with bad knees, I use the following exercise activities: swimming laps, rowing machine, cycling (machine and bike both). If you belong to a fitness center or gym, ask the trainers there for ideas. I personally do not like elyptical machines because the length of the stride is too short and I feel uncomfortable on them. Stair Stepper machines are low impact, but still put alot of strain on your knees.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Grant on the machine and swimming. The other thing is nothing more than a long walk for a half hour might also do the trick.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

The old nordic tracks are low impact and you can vary your stride length. I see them
available for a pretty low price in the want ads occasionally. To me it is pretty natural,
but for some they have a hard time mastering the cross country skiing motion.

Worth considering...
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:53pm
Chain of Fools

I forgot where I read the article

but some exercise person/guru/expert stated that if you need to run then you need to train to run. They discounted the effects of say bicycling.

I understand as my wheels ain't what they used to be ( and they never were really). In season I stretch heavily and I ride an Aerodyne at lunch for 15-20 minutes and do some machine weights

Post- and pre- season I've run a quick lap around town for about 1 1/2 miles 2-3 days a week and lift on the others.

About May I start running sprints on a practice field at lunch or in the evening.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think when it comes to running that if you're in good enough shape to run 3 miles you're in good enough shape not to.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
I think when it comes to running that if you're in good enough shape to run 3 miles you're in good enough shape not to.

Deep. Very deep!
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct about training for the right activity. When we officiate football we run, but in short sprints mostly, with occassional 80-100 yard sprints. My trainer advised me to train aerobically on low impact equipment to protect my knees, and then go run a series of sprints on the field. She suggested running a series of 20, 40 and 60 yard sprints in sets of 5 or 10. She also advised orking on core body muscles (abs) and doing agility drills will hope with change of direction moves we must be ready for. She put together a progrqam for our association and I'll include the link here to 2 pdf files you could use and share.

http://www.nkoafootball.org/guests/f...nditioning.htm
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
You are correct about training for the right activity. When we officiate football we run, but in short sprints mostly, with occassional 80-100 yard sprints. My trainer advised me to train aerobically on low impact equipment to protect my knees, and then go run a series of sprints on the field. She suggested running a series of 20, 40 and 60 yard sprints in sets of 5 or 10. She also advised orking on core body muscles (abs) and doing agility drills will hope with change of direction moves we must be ready for. She put together a progrqam for our association and I'll include the link here to 2 pdf files you could use and share.

http://www.nkoafootball.org/guests/f...nditioning.htm

Thanks, Rick. This is great. I assume the training aerobically on low impact equipment would be using the elliptical and cross country ski types of equipment as mentioned in some of the other posts.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 07:40am
Chain of Fools

Thanks Rick

A Sports Illustrated from earlier in the fall showed some NFL players and their work-outs. One of them was a "core" centered regimen.