The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Guys,

Putting together a little list on pre-snap routines for different positions. Anyone want to share theirs?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Here is mine- Head Linesman.

No particular order, do whatever you feel is comfortable.

Get signal of next down from Referee then signal box man, if 1st down signal to move chains. Go set foot for chains to set up on.

Check my down and distance, know where my 1st down is at.

If inside the 25-30 yard line, communicate with Back Judge on goal line responsibility, (usually depends on game situation run/pass)

Inside the 5, go to the goal line and work back

Count defensive players. Signal to BJ

Count offenisve linemen on my side of center- signal to line judge. recognize keys and signal guy off of line of scrimmage.

That is what I can think of, there seems to be more that I am missing. oh well a start anyways
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I am Line Judge.

1. Confirm down with R and others.
2. Double check down box and signal Linesman if wrong.
3. Count B players and signal to Back Judge.
4. Establish neutral zone with feet and indicate to any wideouts where their side of the neutral zone is.
5. Answer questions of receivers when they ask if they are on the line.
6. Count players on LOS on my side of snapper and signal to L.
7. Identify keys for initial pass coverage.
8. Observe all players on LOS between me and snapper. Also watch any backs between me and QB for false start and illegal motion.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Action at the line of scrimmage

Before breaking the huddle
 Count the players
 Verify—down, distance & time
 Make sure defense not in neutral zone

Break huddle to snap (umpire)
 Count players
 Make sure who is on line of scrimmage (who is punched back, is tight end covered)
 Know where the free blocking zone is
 Look for numbering rules
 Watch for improper handling of the ball
 Disconcerting signals by defense

Break huddle to snap (linesmen)
 Establish neutral zone with stance
 Count players
 Read keys to determine your receiver(s) of responsibility
 Count players on the line, must be 7 (look at back field)
 Watch players in motion-follow all the way
 Player movement-false starts, encroachment, illegal shifts

At the snap
 Determine run or pass (read blockers and keys)

Umpire
 Watch for holding, illegal blocks at line of scrimmage
 Move to line of scrimmage if passing play

Line
 Watch wide-out blocking and end of line play
 Be ready to react to sweep your way
 Cover your receivers on a pass

After the play
Line
 Mark forward progress
 Watch for late hits, unsportsmanlike penalties
 Get box and/or chains set

Umpire
 Spot ball
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

. . . and oh yeah,
rinse and repeat.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Mine, as the referee.

Running plays: As the referee
1. look for chin straps of defensive players
2. declare ball RFP
3. jog back to 12-13 yards while looking for chin straps of offensive players
4. once a series, check for 5 lineman numbered 50-79
5. offense player count with Marly (U)
6. watch backs for FS
7. after snap – watch ball, runner, blocks around him until he reaches NZ
8. run parallel to LOS if sweep or option
9. continue to watch QB after handoff for illegal contact, then watch blocks around runner – I can help on key blocks on sweeps in front of runner or behind – whichever look like possible problems.

Pass plays:
1. def/off chin straps, RFP, lineman #’s, player count with Marly (U), watch backs for false start
2. watch for holding especially of tackles or anyone close to QB
3. stay behind QB and roll with him
4. yell “balls away” and stay with QB until no longer any jeopardy

Punts:
1. def/off chin straps, RFP, lineman #’s, player count with Marly (U), watch backs for false start
2. set up 2 yards in front of punter and very wide
3. see punter gets snap and does not have knee touch ground
4. watch for holding especially on rush ends and yell “balls away”
5. see that punter does not get “run into” or “roughed”
6. see that ball is going downfield and if going OOB’s, watch and line up wings with OOB’s spot
7. move chains after making sure no flags are down

Free kicks:
1. count R and K players
2. watch “Haas” for onside kick signal
3. signal RFP
4. wind clock on touching by R
5. if deep kick, watch ball till release to U and L
6. watch for BBW, BIB, clips, and holds by R

Field goals and trys:
2. set up on hash and on 14 yard line
3. watch for holding especially on anyone threatening blocking the kick, yell “balls away”
4. see that holder or kicker does not get “run into” or “roughed”
5. don’t blow whistle if FG gets blocked and try to stay ahead of runner on block return
6. turn and give good signal of “good” or “no good” to pressbox
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Back Judge: Pray the play is a running play
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Back Judge: Pray the play is a running play
... a sweep to the side where the cheerleaders are.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I am Line Judge.

How do you signal? I have been trying to get the officials in my association to do a top of hat(2 players on my side of the center), bill (3), cheek (4). ANy suggestions?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I am Line Judge.

How do you signal? I have been trying to get the officials in my association to do a top of hat(2 players on my side of the center), bill (3), cheek (4). ANy suggestions?
This is such a nonstandardized set of signals. When I have heard of those signals being used the hand to the top of the hat was for 4 and 2 was a hand on the chest.

Since the standard, balanced formation has three players on the LOS on both sides of the snapper we use a hand to the bill of the cap as the signal for three. For anything different we stick our hand straight up in the air and hold up that many fingers. So if one guy's hand is in the air, odds are that the other's will be as well. Then 2 goes with 4 and 1 goes with 5. We have had a lot of 2 and 4 this season and have even had a few plays of 1 and 5. This doesn't really work with the swinging gate because 0 and 6 could be a difficult signal unless you put both hands to the cap, 3 and 3, while the other side shows a fist.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

What signal do you use for an onside kick? And...is it really necesary and are you possibly signalling the R team? I think we get ready for the obvious on-side kicking situations and are always alert for one in a non-obvious situation.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
What signal do you use for an onside kick? And...is it really necesary and are you possibly signalling the R team? I think we get ready for the obvious on-side kicking situations and are always alert for one in a non-obvious situation.
Obvious onside kick plays are easy, move guys up.

To cover the nonobvious ones better, we have our BJ tell the kicker the first time he kicks it "if at any point you are going to do an onside kick, tell me and we will be able to do a better job of covering it." Then my BJ will simply raise his hand earlier, "as he is running off the field" and we all know. This is unnoticable to anyone but us, so R will not be tipped off. Now you cannot shift your coverage, but on the kick you will be busting up, and if you can slowly move up a extra yard or two just before the kick we will be in better position when the ball gets to the 50. We do NOT tell them we have a signal we use cuz they could use that in their favor if the other team does it, we just say we will be able to cover it better. It has worked well for us.

On obvious onside kick plays, we will leave the BJ on K's line, leave the LJ on K's line, move the L up to K's line, and the U at R's 40. Some put 2 on K's and 2 on R's line, but most of the stuff happens after 10 yards, so we double R's line and have our 4th official 10 more yards back. I, the R cover everything deep, and we can move back to cover the pooch as well as me coming up.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
We have used two different ones for my last two crews. The first was which arm the BJ raised to indicate he was ready for the kick. If it was the arm toward the receivers it was a deep kick. If it was the arm toward the kickers it was an onside kick.

The second is even more subtle. If B's hand is open on his signal it is a deep kick. If his hand is a fist then it is an onside kick.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire (Normal - 5 Man Mechanics)
Place the ball and stand over it until the RFP facing A.
Configure my hand marker for the position of the ball between the hashes.
Check the stakes, give the double stakes signal to both wings if that applies.
Try to count A while they are in their huddle, if I can, give the fist to the R right now. If I count 12, I will tell the Referee that he he has 12 in the huddle loud enough for A to hear so when we drop our flags for a replaced player failing to leave immediately, we have made an honest attempt to preventive officiate before hand.
If I am facing the clock I will vocalize that "we are running" or "at the snap" so the Referee can hear me.
If we are inside the 10, I will point out the goal line to both wings.
If we are behind A's 15 yard line, I remind the R that the goal line is behind him or that he is in the endzone depending on how far that particular R lines up behind A.
If we are inside B's 20, I will advise the BJ of our position when I move to my position on the Referee's ready for play.
At the RFP I move straight back and position myself 6 yards heads up over the ball and await the defense's positions.
If I could not count A in the huddle, I do as they appoach the line and punch back to the R if 11. We are not permitted to do any other signals. If 12 players are headed to player positions, whistle and flag for Illegal Substitution.
As A approaches the line, I check for unbalanced line and if present, put my hand to the side of my face that is overloaded and leave it there until the snap.
I note the eligibles and ineligibles while checking for five 50-79. Since we play a lot of levels that have no numbering requirement, I have developed the skill to remember what numbers are eligible and ineligible. I will check with my wings for punch back if it is not obvious.
I will note the defensive formation then position myself so I am not intefering with their linebackers but I can get a clear view of the center putting his hands on the ball and keep the ball in my field of view. I want to be 4-5 yards off the ball. I believe the closer the better. If that might get in the way of the linebackers I will line up a max of 7 yards deep.
I will note which offensive players are on the line and in the FBZ as well as defenders that are on the line and/or in the FBZ. I will make a mental note of the defensive member's numbers that are in the FBZ but not able to be blocked below the waist (not on the defensive line).
I then focus on the guard opposite the side of the ball I end up lined up on, keeping the ball in view. I will adjust with defensive adjustments so I can maintain view of the ball. If I am heads up on the center, I will focus on the guard on the side the referee is as my primary key to get my initial read when the ball is snapped.

On punts, PAT's and FG, when the LJ vacates either before the snap or at the snap, I line up over the Guard/Tackle on the LJ side with a view of the ball, vocalize as the center puts his hands on the ball, "Do not charge into the center until he has had a chance to block." while giving the rolling fists to the Referee which he should mirror back to me.

[Edited by BulldogMcC on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 11:16 PM]