The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK27
Thanks for the advice, I wanted to gear things toward the legs and stamina. Maybe some outdoor running can help to build up the knees somewhat.
How old are you?

My off-season workouts now that I'm in my 40's are not the same as when I was in my early 30's.

I used to do lots of sprints and jogging in the off-season and ref a little rec ball now and then too.

Now my off-season fitness is much more low impact. Lots of cardio machines at the gym now instead of the running that aggravates my achilles (which is always sore with tendinitis by the end of the season).
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
How old are you?

My off-season workouts now that I'm in my 40's are not the same as when I was in my early 30's.

I used to do lots of sprints and jogging in the off-season and ref a little rec ball now and then too.

Now my off-season fitness is much more low impact. Lots of cardio machines at the gym now instead of the running that aggravates my achilles (which is always sore with tendinitis by the end of the season).
I am 34 and in fairly decent shape. That is one of the reasons I posted this, to kind of get a perspective for what a variety of people do. I think I will be able to start off with sprints and jogging, then see where it goes. If I need to tone it down then I can.

My main thing is I want to make sure I am good to go for next year, so I want to start getting back to the workouts sooner, rather than later.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Running and weight training are what I (try to) do. I realize that basketball is a series of sprints, but doing some distance running forces your body to adapt to a different kind of running, become stronger overall, and increases overall stamina. And weight training for the core, especially the legs, is beneficial to running as well. Don't neglect the upper body, as pumping the arms is an important component in the overall ability to run well.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Running and weight training are what I (try to) do. I realize that basketball is a series of sprints, but doing some distance running forces your body to adapt to a different kind of running, become stronger overall, and increases overall stamina. And weight training for the core, especially the legs, is beneficial to running as well. Don't neglect the upper body, as pumping the arms is an important component in the overall ability to run well.
So, pretty much an overall general workout. I can see where it would be easy to neglect the upper body and focus on the lower. Thanks for the advice.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but I'll just add what I'm doing this year.

The biggest thing in my limited experience is that while we're never going to be asked to run a 5 mile race, endurance is critical to what we do. So doing some endurance training during the off-season is important, IMO, and frankly easier (at least for me) to do. 3-5 miles per day 5 days a week (doesn't have to be road running or treadmill, can also gain the benefit through elliptical machine or other cardio-heavy workouts) does the trick for me.

Distance work (3-5 mile/day range) also helps develop very good strength in your legs to support your joints, as long as you don't have issues with impact. Some sort of weight training is absolutely critical as well. I lift 2-3 times per week pretty hard. (I lift like this during the season as well, but use my games as my cardio workouts with just really light, low-impact work on off-days mainly to loosen up and keep my joint pain at a minimum.)

If you really want to take it to anther level after getting to a good level of fitness, doing speed work and working on your running form will make you much more effective at getting in the proper position, especially in transition, and just make you look better on the court. This is what I want to focus on hard going into camp season this summer and then as the season approaches next fall.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice jdw3018. I think a good combination of sprints and distance throughout the week will help out. I would like to get back in the gym, so I will have to look into getting a membership. I used to work out in the facility they provided at my last job, now I really miss it.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I recommend everyone start a running program, but you have to get your body ready for it. That means 2 weeks of nothing but walking for up to 45 minutes at a time (or per day). Start as much as you can, but move toward 45 by the end of the 2 weeks. In week 3, start jogging. How much you do depends on what kind of shape you are in, but take it easy. You can start out with, say, 30 seconds of jogging followed by a minute (or 2 minutes) and a half of walking. Add 30 seconds per week -- i.e. a minute of jogging, then a minute and a half. Keep the time around 45 minutes to an hour. At some point, you'll be able to jog continuously. Do whatever distance -- 3 miles, 5 miles, whatever -- you can do in the 45-60 minute time frame. You can run a little longer if you want, but that needs to be your minimum time.

Your conditioning will be as good as anyone you work with. Just be prepared to buy new pants.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Don't overlook the possibility of a local church that has indoor exercise equipment. My church has 4 basketball courts with an overhead walk/jogging track. Bikes, treadmills, ellipticals, Free weight room, Machine weight room, racket ball room even a rock climbing wall. Church members pay $15 per year, non-members pay $30. Last summer when I rehabbed from my hip replacement I was there 6 day a week.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Your conditioning will be as good as anyone you work with. Just be prepared to buy new pants.
I got serious about my conditioning after having some early season pain and discomfort (and realizing I was carrying far too many extra pounds), and by the time the season was over even the flex belt couldn't keep my original pants up.

My wife had taken to calling them clown pants anyway, so I guess it was good I got new ones.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everybody, it is all good and will be put to good use. I just need to get out there and get things going.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I exercise in non-conventional ways.

I play hoops 3 times a week but it's with some older guys and I don't get much exercise.

I pick chores around the house and turn them into exercise.

For instance, I may power rake for an hour followed 45 minutes of log splitting.

I may chainsaw logs for an hour and then power mow my yard.(5 acres)

I find ways to turn daily routines and chores into exercise.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I find that variety is the key when it comes to workouts....for strength training as well as cardio....

I like to change up my routine every few weeks. It keeps my body "challenged" and keeps me from getting bored with workouts.

I just finished my first year of officiating and found that, at least during the season, I don't need to lift as much. I felt too "muscle-bound" I guess, and at times didn't feel as "fluid" as I thought I should. I backed off the lifting some during the season and seemed to feel better. I'll definately remember that next year!
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Real officials do pentathlons. .....steam, shower, shampoo, sh!t, shave.....
What the hey.............throw a sauna in there too.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
My wife had taken to calling them clown pants anyway, so I guess it was good I got new ones.
What's wrong with clown pants? These are mine. They look great with my ref jersey.

Old Tue Mar 11, 2008, 05:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Weigh yourself and document your weight. I weigh myself every Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday after working out. I'm always heaviest on Monday and my lightest on Thursday's, the one day a week I play pick-up basketball.