The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 10:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Wrong. I'm simply telling officials to completely ignore what you wrote.
I already stated that in my follow-on message after every post.

Quote:
There was, and is, absolutely no merit to what you suggest. If you have to worry about ejecting somebody, then stick to rec leagues. Officiating at other levels is not for you, or for anyone else that would even dream about following your advice.
I disagree. Remember, I did not see him throw the chair. Okay, a chair from the bench is out there on the floor. Is it not out the realm of possibly that a fan from the stands came down and threw the chair. Remember, just because I didn't see it doesn't mean the camera didn't see it, and it doesn't mean that the coach can't get fined afterwards. It just means he didn't get penalized for it in the game.

My decision to not add insult to injury does have merit, whether you accept it or not. Again, different story if i see him do it.

Quote:
2) Wrong. By not handling it, you're telling the coach that he has carte blanche to do whatever the hell he feel likes. You're also telling the players and fans that you don't have the cojones to take care of bidness. You're the one who looked like a fool, not the coach.
I don't know how you come to the conclusion that if someone else does something stupid, it makes the referee look stupid. I did not throw a chair like I'm a immature child. That's like saying Atlanta is stupid for hiring Michael Vick to QB their team, when the person who is stupid is Vick, period.

I will engage you to the extent that I let the coach get away with one. And that's exactly it, that's your one. It's like letting your opponent have the first punch. I will be waiting the next time and i will still write his a$$ up for a chair being throw from his bench. In the NBA or NCAA or even NFHS, technical or not, he will still get a heafty fine for that act. So you see JR (aka master silly monkey) he's not getting away with anything.

I know it's difficult but try not to jump to conclusions....
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48
In the case of not seeing who actually threw the chair, the officials would certainly know from which bench that the chair came from - correct? Doesn't the rule book (I don't have it handy for reference) allow for a direct "T" on the bench and thereby an indirect on the head coach. What about that as a solution.
I saw an official "T" up the head coach because he heard an undesireable comment come from the bench area. It was a BV game, and I was observing after having worked the JV contest. The crew discussed it at the half. The calling official heard the remark, but he wasn't sure that the head coach said it. The head coach was the only one standing when he first looked in the direction of the bench. He had just made an OOB call that went against that team. They agreed that a T was needed, but you can't directly penalize the coach if you do not have specific knowledge. The coach was vehement that he did not make the comment - naturally.
In NCAA, you need to know the culprit. You can not just arbitrary give the bench a technical without knowing exactly who did what. In the case of your example, if you don't know exactly who said it, you just got to eat it. Much the same way i ate the chair. Yeah, i took a hit for it, but I disagree that it makes me look like a fool. Move on, clock got to coutdown to zero and then my job is over. Keep an eye on that bench for any further outburst, collect pay at end of game.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
In NCAA, you need to know the culprit. You can not just arbitrary give the bench a technical without knowing exactly who did what. In the case of your example, if you don't know exactly who said it, you just got to eat it. Much the same way i ate the chair. Yeah, i took a hit for it, but I disagree that it makes me look like a fool. Move on, clock got to coutdown to zero and then my job is over. Keep an eye on that bench for any further outburst, collect pay at end of game.
This is so easy it's practically juvenile.
T the head coach. You know he did it, even if you didn't see it. If, by some small .00000001% chance it was someone else on his bench, oh well. He will keep that bench in control better next time.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Probably last year. Early season tournament assignment for a private school thing. Allegedly varsity. This game amounted to the 7-8th place game, as both teams had lost their first two games. Immediately, it was clear even this game was going to be a blowout. The bad team was poorly coached and lived by the motto "if you can't beat 'um, beat 'um up." We (2 man) struggled to keep control from the middle of the first quarter, but were doing OK. The biggest problem was that we were trying to keep the clock running and throw a bone to the losing team by calling fouls against them and only the felonies committed by them. By the 4th quarter, it was apparent that strategy was flawed. The winning team started getting a little miffed about how they were getting hammered and no call was made.

One example of the contact was a good wrestling throw down move that the losing team was using -- calling it a block out. On a rebound, they'd grab the other player, and throw him down. Unbelievably I let one of these go, then started calling them. The coach was irate from the middle of the 3rd quarter on (down by at least 35 at that point), and in the 4th, my partner threw out one of the premier wrestlers on the losing team after he threw an elbow. The coach started asking me if we gave him a warning first, and I told him, "no, we don't give warnings for flagrant fouls." Then, he started loudly complaining. I had passed on a T before then, but late in the game, it was starting to get out of hand. After I warned him twice, he continued his loud protests, and I dumped him. My first ejection ever. I do know the coach was shocked beyond belief and might have had some job issues because of it. This was supposedly a Christian school!

While I stand by the ejection, I performed poorly. But to some extent, it was worth it due to the things I've learned:

1. Don't automatically go into blowout mode (i.e. ignoring fouls committed by the team getting pummeled), especially early in the game. You might be judicious in your selection of what to call, but don't EVER ignore things like takedowns or other completely physical moves that have no place in any basketball game. I can't believe I swallowed my whistle on that one play.

2. Don't ignore the T even if the team's coach you need to hit is behind by a bunch. Had I hit the coach earlier, ejection may not have come about.

3. Warn once, then enforce. Most coaches don't want to be ejected, and won't chance a second T.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:50am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good response, Dan, considering that mature, subtle humor is never expected from you.
Wait a minute now...Dan can be very subtle - in fact, sometimes he's so subtle nobody gets his jokes! On the other hand, I'm still waiting for him to say something mature.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
This was supposedly a Christian school!
What the hell difference does that make?
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Wait a minute now...Dan can be very subtle - in fact, sometimes he's so subtle nobody gets his jokes! On the other hand, I'm still waiting for him to say something mature.
Gee Rocky, thanks for the help there buddy....errr....hey wait a minute...
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48
My mother had her tool.
TMI !!! How's that for subtle and mature?
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
While I stand by the ejection, I performed poorly. But to some extent, it was worth it due to the things I've learned:

1. Don't automatically go into blowout mode (i.e. ignoring fouls committed by the team getting pummeled), especially early in the game. You might be judicious in your selection of what to call, but don't EVER ignore things like takedowns or other completely physical moves that have no place in any basketball game. I can't believe I swallowed my whistle on that one play.

2. Don't ignore the T even if the team's coach you need to hit is behind by a bunch. Had I hit the coach earlier, ejection may not have come about.

3. Warn once, then enforce. Most coaches don't want to be ejected, and won't chance a second T.
#1. Never go into blowout mode

#2.) There is this thing called game management. It's in the book. Sometimes, it is better to use your discretion.

#3.) I know some coaches that behave even worse after receiving 1st technical because they know officials won't give them the 2nd one.

Try communicating to the players and coaches how you expect the game should be played, what you will accept and what you will not. If I got a team that's getting chippie, we start sending people to the bench. 7th and 8th grade, go to the bench, varsity, intentional foul. Hopefully you can get thru it, if not JR em...
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This is so easy it's practically juvenile.
T the head coach. You know he did it, even if you didn't see it. If, by some small .00000001% chance it was someone else on his bench, oh well. He will keep that bench in control better next time.
Or he might have something to say to your assigner for giving him a T he didn't commit. It could have been a fan for all you know. At the NCAA level there is a huge fine for getting a technical, you better be sure about that. Telling your assigner it was someone on the bench, I don't think is gonna fly.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
TMI !!! How's that for subtle and mature?
Right up there with Dan, kinda subtle but not really mature.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Right up there with Dan, kinda subtle but not really mature.
I like to think of myself as subtly mature.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Or he might have something to say to your assigner for giving him a T he didn't commit. It could have been a fan for all you know. At the NCAA level there is a huge fine for getting a technical, you better be sure about that. Telling your assigner it was someone on the bench, I don't think is gonna fly.
Quit talking like this was during an NCAA game, 'cause if it was, I guarantee you'd have been retired for not giving him a T. Three person crew, there's no excuse for someone not seeing it. HS game, call the T on the HC and move on.
Quote:
There is this thing called game management. It's in the book. Sometimes, it is better to use your discretion.
Which book would that be?
Quote:
I know some coaches that behave even worse after receiving 1st technical because they know officials won't give them the 2nd one.
And whose fault is that? Oddly, I haven't seen this after my Ts (with one exception who quickly learned that a 2nd T would indeed be called). Here's a hint, wreck coaches can be taught, too. Hand out a deserved 2nd T a couple of times, and they get the picture pretty quickly.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I like to think of myself as subtly mature.
You'll never be in Mick and Bob's class though.

It's true, it's true......I read it somewhere.
Closed Thread