The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Now that the bowl season is over, I'm curious for everybody's thoughts on what game had the best and worst crews. I know that we will be only be going by one game and not a whole season of games, but I'd like to know what you think.
FYI....my picks are
Best: Orange Bowl
Worst: Outback Bowl
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Best - O. Bowl
Worst - Did Jack Childress work a bowl?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RefNVa
Best - O. Bowl
Jack Childress worked the ACC Championship Game. I know one of the other officials who worked that game and he told me that those assigned to the Conference Championship game would not be assigned a bowl game.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Orange Bowl - one helluva crew! They seemed very well prepared and additionally the wings handled these veteran coaches very well. After that game the SJ could probably handle any coach, anywhere. Joe Pa was rough on him.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Personally, I think it is a little unfair of us to say someone was "the worst". Yeah, some of them struggled a little bit and some struggled a lot. But I don't know of any of us that actually worked a college D1 bowl this year. Many of the problems that some of the “struggling” crews experienced were because of technical malfunctions too.

I will say that the Big 10 crew that worked the Rose bowl looked pretty darned good. Other than a few minor mistakes like the coin flip, they did a solid job. We really can't fault them too much for the malfunctioning of the replay equipment.

I didn't watch much of the Orange Bowl, but they appeared to be with it too.

Overall, I think the NCAA will have its hands full with stuff to address in the off-season.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't run for president either but I can still use my right to free speach to criticize him if I so desire!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 12:05pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by umpharp
Now that the bowl season is over, I'm curious for everybody's thoughts on what game had the best and worst crews. I know that we will be only be going by one game and not a whole season of games, but I'd like to know what you think.
FYI....my picks are
Best: Orange Bowl
Worst: Outback Bowl
Orange Bowl was a Big East Crew and the outback bowl was C-USA. I also think the game and teams have alot to do with how "good" a crew does. I think the orange bowl was the best bowl game this year.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 12:10pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Personally, I think it is a little unfair of us to say someone was "the worst". Yeah, some of them struggled a little bit and some struggled a lot. But I don't know of any of us that actually worked a college D1 bowl this year. Many of the problems that some of the “struggling” crews experienced were because of technical malfunctions too.

I will say that the Big 10 crew that worked the Rose bowl looked pretty darned good. Other than a few minor mistakes like the coin flip, they did a solid job. We really can't fault them too much for the malfunctioning of the replay equipment.

I didn't watch much of the Orange Bowl, but they appeared to be with it too.

Overall, I think the NCAA will have its hands full with stuff to address in the off-season.
That is true but we did sit there and watch their preformance. It is a good way to learn from. Watching what they did and what "looked good" and what "didn't look good." I understand your point to say they were the "worst" is way better then one of us but we are compairing them to their level of officials not ours.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Best - O. Bowl
What is that supposed to mean?

Jack is one of the very best around.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't run for president either but I can still use my right to free speach to criticize him if I so desire!
But until you're on the field with the cameras on you might not know what you're talking about.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

I've officiated long enough to know a plumber when I see one!
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

A plumber??

Man, you gotta either be kidding or JEALOUS. My gut feeling is the latter.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Jealous? Nope, I have no desire to work college level. And you're either being argumentative or biased by a relationship, I suspect the latter!
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

LOL

Just figured it out... sorry, and it was right in front of me.

Yes, I am being argumentative, and yes I do know Jack personally. And yes, he is the best referee in the ACC.

And finally, YES, you do have sour grapes going on because of a particular team in Virginia losing that you happen to have a fondness for. But being an official yourself, you should know that championship caliber teams will overcome bad calls. Thats assuming there were any bad calls. Which I doubt because the Virginia teams are always way OVERrated anyway.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I think you guys are getting off subject. I don't know Jack and don't give a damn if he is the nicest guy around or a first class ***. This post is based on one bowl game. Did Jack work a ball game and did his crew blow some calls that had a factor in the game, then he should be listed along with his crew as one of the worst of the bowl game crews. If Jack worked and his crew made some great call on close plays then his crew should be listed as one of the best.