View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48
In the case of not seeing who actually threw the chair, the officials would certainly know from which bench that the chair came from - correct? Doesn't the rule book (I don't have it handy for reference) allow for a direct "T" on the bench and thereby an indirect on the head coach. What about that as a solution.
I saw an official "T" up the head coach because he heard an undesireable comment come from the bench area. It was a BV game, and I was observing after having worked the JV contest. The crew discussed it at the half. The calling official heard the remark, but he wasn't sure that the head coach said it. The head coach was the only one standing when he first looked in the direction of the bench. He had just made an OOB call that went against that team. They agreed that a T was needed, but you can't directly penalize the coach if you do not have specific knowledge. The coach was vehement that he did not make the comment - naturally.
In NCAA, you need to know the culprit. You can not just arbitrary give the bench a technical without knowing exactly who did what. In the case of your example, if you don't know exactly who said it, you just got to eat it. Much the same way i ate the chair. Yeah, i took a hit for it, but I disagree that it makes me look like a fool. Move on, clock got to coutdown to zero and then my job is over. Keep an eye on that bench for any further outburst, collect pay at end of game.