The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I was recently at an NJCAA game in Texas, and was very dissapointed at the level of officiating in the contest.

There were four kicked ball violations, and in all four situations, the referees reset the clock to 30 seconds (Women's). I know, being a scoreboard official on occasion, that the new rule is no reset 15 seconds and above, and reset to 15 at 14 seconds and below. After the coach argued about the ruling, he was given a technical foul.

Also, on a breakaway layup, A1 was fouled by B1 by pulling A1's jersey in flight. What was a blatant intentional foul was not even called a common foul.

And the final, but thing I'm least sure of, was a 3 second in the lane violation called while a shot was in the air, and also when the violating player had control of the basketball. I know that you can be called for 3 sec. with the ball, but this was in no way 3 seconds, as she had just received the ball.

All this plus bad traveling and Block/Charge calls.

My question is, how should a coach handle bad officiating like this without losing his/her mind?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Coach should -
1) read the rule book, cover to cover
2) Officiate local youth rec game.
3) go into each game impartial, (most coaches fail this one)
4) worry about coaching not officiating

this path will solve all coaches/official issues in 98% of the cases.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by steve33

I know that you can be called for 3 sec. with the ball, but this was in no way 3 seconds, as she had just received the ball.

Well, that one there there pretty much says it all......

You can tell it's that time of the year again. The fanboys are starting to come outa the woodwork.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I was waiting to see when people would start jumping in on this one. In regard to the shot clock questions, if the officials booted a rule, and that's an if in this case, I'm sure the assignor for this game will be notified. Everything else listed as a gripe, seems to be judgment on the floor. If you're not out there looking at the game from the official's perspective, you have no idea what is really happening. Questioning these situations is futile. As far as during the game, coaches should ask questions, listen to answers, and coach their team. I'm sure the T didn't help the score any.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Per the title

I'd go with the Cal-Irvine-Cal-Davis game on the tube a few nights ago-waning seconds game on the line, Cal-Irvine guy starts to drive baseline, slips, recovers possession in a prone position, then proceeds to get up, and fire the jumper. No call. Justifiably, I guess, he missed. In Indiana, that's a walk.

Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was recently at an NJCAA game in Texas, and was very dissapointed at the level of officiating in the contest.

There were four kicked ball violations, and in all four situations, the referees reset the clock to 30 seconds (Women's). I know, being a scoreboard official on occasion, that the new rule is no reset 15 seconds and above, and reset to 15 at 14 seconds and below. After the coach argued about the ruling, he was given a technical foul.

Also, on a breakaway layup, A1 was fouled by B1 by pulling A1's jersey in flight. What was a blatant intentional foul was not even called a common foul.

And the final, but thing I'm least sure of, was a 3 second in the lane violation called while a shot was in the air, and also when the violating player had control of the basketball. I know that you can be called for 3 sec. with the ball, but this was in no way 3 seconds, as she had just received the ball.

My question is, how should a coach handle bad officiating like this without losing his/her mind?
And the answer is, get someone like yourself to officiate his games. Then, the next time those other officials show up, he'll be thrilled to see them!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

yawn
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Best thing I ever did for my hoops knowledge

was becoming a ref. There were TOO MANY things I thought I knew as a coach but learned I was clueless on MANY items. This has been especially helpful in talking to players about what refs are thinking, especially in the areas of 3 seconds, traveling, advantage/disadvantage, etc. (the key areas many coaches are clueless about). I have also learned bunches from officiating with different refs and asking their opinions on items (and, just plain observing what they do and how they call certain situations). I now watch for different things in games (I watch the refs much more closely...not to critique but to learn). Many of my coaching buddies are starting to turn to me for insight, especially when we are watching a game together. They get all puffed up over what they consider a bad call and then ask me if "the ref missed that call." My standard reply: a big smile and "he/she called what he/she saw."

[Edited by lmeadski on Feb 16th, 2006 at 05:04 PM]
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Steve33, I'm going to try and assume that you're someone who posted in good faith. I will say that despite your good faith, you must accept -- it's hard to do, but you MUST ACCEPT it -- that you are a fan who had a rooting interest and therefore you were not, nor can you be, objective in your evaluation.

O.K. It sounds like the officiating crew kicked the rule change for shot clock re-setting. They should get that right, but they didn't. Even if all four kicked balls happened against the same team, which is unlikely but possible, this would tend to influence the outcome (note: not "decide" the outcome, but "influence" it) of a game, oh, I don't know, roughly .213% of the time. If the coach got a T over arguing that call, it's because s/he can't control her/himself, not *because of* the call.

On the breakaway layup, it's possible that the official simply did not see the "jersey pull" and it's also possible that what the official saw as a brush on the jersey was interpreted by fans and team supporters as a "pull." Either a call was missed or it was viewed differently.

A three-second violation cannot happen when the ball is in the air (because, as you know, there is no team control when the ball is in flight -- you know this, even though many of your fan colleagues do not since they keep yelling "3 seconds" during rebounding action). However, if a player has commited a three-second violation and the officials decides that the player has gained an advantage by being in there too long, it is possible for an official to blow the whistle (while the ball is in flight) for a violation that took place before the ball was in flight. Hopefully it does not happen too much later - it looks bad - but that is certainly possible.

Actually, you admitted that you're not too sure about the 3-second rule. A player cannot continuously be in the lane for three seconds while there is team control in the front court. As you are now coming to realize, the key here is team control in the front court, not player control, as to whether a three-seconds violation is appropriate.

Bad traveling and block/charge calls? Well, certainly all of us who officiate miss some of these calls some of the time. I'm willing to bet, however, that they got a lot more of those "disputed" calls right than you did. I don't say that because you are a bad person. I say that because they are trained and experienced officials with a neutral attitude toward the outcome of the game.

The coach should handle officiating in the following manner: ask polite questions of the officials and otherwise coach her/his players. How should a fan deal with officiating without losing her/his mind? Recognize that the players will decide the outcome of the game with little "influence" from officials and therefore focus your energy where it matters.

Best wishes.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Missed "3 second" calls...... without seeing what happened, it's pretty much hard for us to answer. We don't know how many times the officials have tried talking the player out of the lane. As far as calling the violation once the ball was shot, this was already explained as possibly the violation occured before the shot but not called til after. Doesn't look good, but possibly still the right call. With alot of officials, to get a 3 seconds call out of them, that player was in there a while.

With regards to the shot clock being reset, possibly they were kicking the call. Either way, coach has to maintain his composure. They're kicking the call both ways so sooner or later, he'll benefit from it where-as, the T was a benefit to his opponent.

"Bad traveling" and "block/charge" calls, noone had the same look as the officials. That can be tough to watch from the bleachers or bench but players need to adjust to the officials.

We'd all like to call the perfect game and sometimes actually get close. I guess any team that makes all their freethrows, has zero tunovers and shoots 75% from the field deserves to be upset about bad calls.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 07:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I know that you can be called for 3 sec. with the ball, but this was in no way 3 seconds, as she had just received the ball.

Well, that one there there pretty much says it all......

You can tell it's that time of the year again. The fanboys are starting to come outa the woodwork.
JR,

Funny you said that, I was just thinking today how we haven't hardly had any. However, the post season is starting up and as you said it usually brings them out of the woodwork.

[Edited by tjones1 on Feb 16th, 2006 at 07:23 PM]
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
[/B]
Funny you said that, I was just thinking today how we haven't hardly had any. However, the post season is starting up and as you said it usually brings them out of the woodwork.

[/B][/QUOTE]They come out in March; the NCAA tournament draws them like moths to a lightbulb. Naw, that's not a good analogy-- how 'bout cockroaches to a picnic?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Thumbs down

You know, I wonder why we force officials to run the floor and coaches to stay in their box, when it seems the best view to both officiate and coach is from the stands!!!
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 10:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
You know, I wonder why we force officials to run the floor and coaches to stay in their box, when it seems the best view to both officiate and coach is from the stands!!!
Or..........behind Billy Packer's microphone!
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Worst Officiated Game ???

I was told it was the one I worked last night!