The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
There are a couple solid suggestions here and a couple really hairbrained ones IMO.
I think you mean harebrained. . .?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I think you mean harebrained. . .?
Hairebrained ?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Hairebrained ?
Hey Mick, that thudding sound you hear? That's Tony coming after you! Better run...

None of those rule changes seem "significant" to me...several of them are simply copying what the NCAA already does, and I thought the NFHS wanted to distinguish themselves from the NCAA...
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

some good some bad some ugly

I like the following:

1: 28 ft box..let them roam, and penalize them accordingly for unsporting behavior...I have always thought this was a good idea
7: make team control fouls available during a throw in, just seems logical to me
12: eliminating lag time, seems silly to me to have to allow a second in lag time, if there was definite knowledge...it could be important later
17: assessing one delay, simplifies things
19: coaches box stuff...again, if it is unsporting whack em, don't use the line on the floor to enforce it...
20: I would be in favor of the punch out for both

I am also in favor of the sweatbands/headbands being worn correctly...it goes along with wearing the uniform correctly

I am neutral on the following
2: gray shirts
4: odd/even....when I played our homes were even aways were odd
5: sweatbands/headbands same color as jersey
9: halves instead of quarters
13: held ball on throw in
14: terminating closely guarded....it seems we already do..
15: shot clock
16: courtside replay

I am absolutely against
3: 15 minute mark
6: eliminate closely guarded when dribbling
8: stopping clock in last minute, at the high school level and lower, we don't have good enough clock operators..
10: extending the game
11: I still don't see the problem with the coach requesting a TO
18: allow pregame dunking??? are you kidding me....

allowing the uniform to be worn however a team sees fit....oh nooooooooo
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re #17.

I think the delay of game warnings should stay as is, one warning for each. Reason being, I think, especially for the lower levels, the warning is more of an educational tool. Example, a lot of the smaller kids, don't even realize they are breaking a rule, like "breaking the plane" etc. Just a thought.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.Would rather they deal with all the hand slapping between throws that technically is not a huddle.
Already covered under the current rule: 4-47-2 equates the delay produced by a team huddle with the delay produced through contact with the FT shooter. I've been told to reasonably ignore both because the end of the rule says as in 10-1-5c, which is under the heading "allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:"... then contact with the shooter and huddling are mentioned. In other words, don't penalize the opportunity for a little 'team spirit', but only penalize it if the delay is considerable.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I left these two out earlier because I deemed the first one trivial and the second innane, but since people seem to be enjoying bashing the proposed changes so much I'm adding them now.

1. Submitted by South Dakota (Ruth Rehn - State Office)
Wristbands must be worn at the base of the thumb and can extend no more than three inches onto the wrist. (Rationale: A wristband must be worn as intended. Wearing them off the wrist is a distraction and draws attention to the individual. (A similar proposal was submitted by Iowa (Barr - State Office)

2. Submitted by North Dakota (Carlsrud - State Office)
Delete: 3-4-15: A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Rationale: Coaches and players don't like the rule, players break the rule, coaches don't enforce the rule, coaches chastise officials who enforce the rule and it is not being enforced at the NCAA level where kids see it on television. It doesn't seem fair that we continue "dumping" rules on officials causing them to stand with little support. If schools don't care how their uniforms look, why should the officials?

Pick your smilie.
A rule similar to #1 was added to the NF Football rules lst year. All the football officials I talked to both personally and on this forum thought it was the dumbest rule in the history of sports.

Mr. Chairman. I propose that Ms. Rehn of S.Dakota and Mr Barr of Iowa be publically censured and prohibited from making any further proposals.

FYI: I would welcome 2, 7, 12, 15, 17, 20.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
As an official who lives in Iowa and works for Mr. Barr, I can assure you we enforce the wristband rule as stated above. One would think there is more pressing issues to focus on, but how dare the players distract from the game and focus so much attention on themselves.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 07:29am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons
As an official who lives in Iowa and works for Mr. Barr, I can assure you we enforce the wristband rule as stated above. One would think there is more pressing issues to focus on, but how dare the players distract from the game and focus so much attention on themselves.
Must all sneakers be double-knotted as well?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons

My point is there is no "wristband rule" in NF or any other code. And for an administrator to say I have to prostitute myself and enforce a rule that does not exist just because it is a pet peeve is full of himself and should be banned from involvement in any sport.

Besides, NF says it is OK to have a cast over my upper arm and still be able to play by paddding it but heaven forbid anyone compromise the safety on another player by wearing those wristband/armbands/Iverson sleeve's.

People who propose these kinds of rule changes are educated beyond their intelligence.

Tell Mr. Barr to either keep his mouth shut or quit. Preferably the latter. And if you don't want to do it give him my contact information.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
My point is there is no "wristband rule" in NF or any other code. And for an administrator to say I have to prostitute myself and enforce a rule that does not exist just because it is a pet peeve is full of himself and should be banned from involvement in any sport.

Besides, NF says it is OK to have a cast over my upper arm and still be able to play by paddding it but heaven forbid anyone compromise the safety on another player by wearing those wristband/armbands/Iverson sleeve's.

People who propose these kinds of rule changes are educated beyond their intelligence.

Tell Mr. Barr to either keep his mouth shut or quit. Preferably the latter. And if you don't want to do it give him my contact information.
I realize there is no "wristband rule." I should have stated it as "the proposed wristband rule," and this is how it appears in our preseason mailing:

Regarding SWEATBANDS and HEADBANDS: The National Federation Rule Book, on Page 26, Section 5, Article 3 states, "Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn." (Sweatbands worn on the wrist, and headbands to be worn on the head.) One manufacturer's logo/trademark is permitted on the sweatbands or headbands. A headband no wider than 2", single-colored cloth may be worn. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.

How sweatbands are unnatural or designed to increase a player's height or reach to gain an advantage is beyond my three years of experience.

Therefore I must enforce this as is, regardless of the logic (or lack thereof) behind it. It's hard to argue when the person writing the interpretations is also deciding the post-season assignments.

By the way, the players are not required to double-knot their shoe laces yet. I think they can still wear velcro if they want too.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I was fortunate enough to be asked for an opinion on these by a member of the rules committee. He sent me the full list and asked me to vote on each. Not that my vote is final or anything like that, obviously, but he's taking the opinions of fellow officials into consideration before going to the meeting for the official vote. Here are the ones that I voted "YES" on.

Quote:
1. 28 ft coaching box
2. permitting gray shirt for officials
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
9. play in halves instead of quarters
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption
16. courtside replay for state championship games
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

#4 is too expensive, unless grandfathered. (Taking potshots at an unofficial list of submissions for proposals is easy and maybe pointless - but this won't be the last possibly pointless thing I do today. )
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I'd support:

1. 28 ft coaching box
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)

I'm neutral on:

5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

I'd be against the rest.

Is anyone summarizing these votes?
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got a copy of what the rules committee is considering at their meeting. Thought I'd share a few and get some feedback from the forum.

1. 28 ft coaching box
6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
9. play in halves instead of quarters
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T
1. they already use most of the 28 ft anyways, we should go ahead and adopt this one...

2.gray shirts may be a nice change and put money in someone elses pocket too..

6.this would make a fun end of the game if you have a good guard that could dribble, but if we go to shot clocks i would be all for no cg while dribbling

8.i think they should leave this in the college level...let the clock run

9.would love halves, coaches don't from what i hear around here in ky...

10. GAME IS LONG ENOUGH...LEAVE TIME ALONE 16 MINUTE HALVES IS GREAT

11. Would probably make it better so you don't have to look over your shoulder and take your eyes of the play, to make sure the coach is yelling time out...if the player don't ask, they don't get it...love it!!

14. pretty much do this anyways, does anyone call the CG when the defense is running behind the offense????? never seen it

15. would be pretty nice to see the shot clock, would make things even quicker than they are now

16. DEFINITELY needed...hate to see a team lose a game on a close call that could be changed and made right if they can look at the replay...

18. asking for trouble on this one.... no dunking should be allowed.. to many injuries possible, broken rims and backboards, etc....

19. if they give them a 28ft box....if they get out of it, they should be blasted "t".....no warnings..