The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.Would rather they deal with all the hand slapping between throws that technically is not a huddle.
Already covered under the current rule: 4-47-2 equates the delay produced by a team huddle with the delay produced through contact with the FT shooter. I've been told to reasonably ignore both because the end of the rule says as in 10-1-5c, which is under the heading "allow the game to develop into an actionless contest, this includes the following and similar acts:"... then contact with the shooter and huddling are mentioned. In other words, don't penalize the opportunity for a little 'team spirit', but only penalize it if the delay is considerable.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I had heard there might be a change in penalty for delay in returning to the court to a violation rather than a technical, but maybe this one is not on the list of submissions. [To make it the same as leaving the court]
It is NOT on the list.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Needless meddling:
2. permitting gray shirt for officials. Gives those that need something to make them look different a way to do so by moving to gray before the others do.
3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters What problem could this solve?
4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd. Not really a financial problem if put at a future date but not necessary.
5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey what problem would it solve? I've never been confused by a headband color.
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods Too likely to be messed up by timers.
9. play in halves instead of quarters Why? OK, but Why?
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes How would it improve the game?
13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the thrower
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.) Already the rule.
16. courtside replay for state championship games can-o-worms
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types. As rare as they are, why?
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring How could this improve the game?
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)

Good idea:
1. 28 ft coaching box provided that the coach is coaching
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul Should have been that way already.
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only but add that the coach could only request the timeout during a dead ball with the clock stopped.
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

OK with caveats6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling Only if a shot clock were added. Don't want to see the game deteriorate from a team game to a single player putting on a dribbling exhibition.
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption Make the clock long enough to not rush too many teams...maybe 45-60 seconds.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 04:23am.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring How could this improve the game?
Oddly enough, some fans find this entertaining. If you watch warmups before the crew comes out, many players are putting on a show anyway.

In addition, if it is legal to dunk during a game, the players should be able to practice this during warmups.

Dunking is not unsportsmanlike conduct. The actions accompanying this might be. Punish those actions.

BTW, I don't support this or oppose it. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Oddly enough, some fans find this entertaining. If you watch warmups before the crew comes out, many players are putting on a show anyway.

In addition, if it is legal to dunk during a game, the players should be able to practice this during warmups.

Dunking is not unsportsmanlike conduct. The actions accompanying this might be. Punish those actions.

BTW, I don't support this or oppose it. Just playing devil's advocate.
Well, iirc the rationale used by the FED when they initiated this rule was to guard against possible equipment damage. The rule was initiated back in the days of the fixed rims. Breakaway rims did take away a lot of the "equipment damage" concerns also. So....I guess that you can say "hmmmmmm".

Of course, I did have a backboard go on a pre-game dunk once too.......just as we were walking onto the court.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Needless meddling:
9. play in halves instead of quarters Why? OK, but Why?
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes How would it improve the game?
As many of you already know, in MN we went abandoned the quarter system in favor of halves this past season. In addition we went with a 36 minute game. The official reasons for this were as such:

1. Halves added more strategy by eliminating the quarter break.
2. Halves created a better flow by eliminating the quarter break.
3. By lengthening the game to 36 minutes and not adding additional timeouts, it created a need for more substituting, thus ensuring more players would have an opportunity to participate.
4. The coaches in MN supported this move.

After doing it for a season (only at the varsity level...all under varsity games were 2 halves of 16 minutes each), I must admit that I like it. The games seemed to go more quickly and it seemed like the coaches actually ended up using less timeouts than before. I don't know if it created additional playing opportunities for bench players, but it change the complexion of the game in subtle ways that didn't seem intrusive.

I'm all for making this NFHS policy, but I can also understand reluctance to ensorse this measure. To me, it makes sense because if a player goes on to college ball he/she will be playing in this system anyway, and its not as drastic of a jump to go from 36 minutes to 40 minutes in a game as it is to go from 32 minutes to 40 minutes.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

thanks Dave

thanks for the info. With this in mind I wouldn't be against making it the new policy. Now what will we do with those unused 3's and 4's on all the scoreboards in these gyms
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I liked the 18 min halves this past season in MN as well. Although most games had a decent and continuous flow to them, there was the one or two games where I looked up and we were in the bonus with 10 minutes left (but maybe that's my own fault )

MN also adopted the courtside replays during the televised games of the state tournaments this year...and it was used in the girls tourney to put time back on at the end of the game. The only "reviewable situations" were to count or cancel a basket near the of each half, and to add time to the clock "near the end of the game")
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One reason I am not sure the team control situation should be present on an OOB throw-in is that the penalty for fouling in this situation is different for each team and IMO it should not be. And unless they change the definition of team control, I do not favor this change.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
One reason I am not sure the team control situation should be present on an OOB throw-in is that the penalty for fouling in this situation is different for each team and IMO it should not be. And unless they change the definition of team control, I do not favor this change.
It would make the NF in line with the NCAA where the rule basically came from. It was kind of silly to take one aspect of the rule and make an exception for another. I think the application of this rule is silly without the purposed part included.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Lightbulb A grain of salt.....

14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)

Mr. Dick, if you didn't know, had our captain's meeting include a coin toss for the opening possession of the game during the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons (7th grade-Varsity). The initial possession arrow was pointed towards the loser of the coin toss. I thought there should have been a choice to "defer" if you won the toss and preferred to play defense first. If the jumper doesn't have to jump, why did the winner of the coin toss have to take the ball? However, the Iowa Girls' Union did start with the jump ball this season.

Ever wonder why we were the last state to switch from 6-on-6?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons

Ever wonder why we were the last state to switch from 6-on-6?
Because Mr. Dick is aptly named?

Couldn't help myself....bad JR.....bad,bad JR.....

Welcome to the forum.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Got a copy of what the rules committee is considering at their meeting. Thought I'd share a few and get some feedback from the forum.

2. permitting gray shirt for officials
5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey
6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

You can be favor, don't favor, or neutral on these items.
Interesting - these rules are already implemented by FIBA - so I obviously whole-heartedlt support them

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]Because Mr. Dick is aptly named?

Thank you. Now I don't have to say it.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

Wink off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
Glad you are smiling Duane.
That typhoon didn't hurt you?
I was thinking about you....
mick