View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

1. 28 ft coaching box - I heard that this just barley missed passing last year. We have a 6ft box in Texas which I think is a little too small. I think 28ft. is too big. Maybe 14ft?

2. permitting gray shirt for officials - Several states already do it so we might as well make it legal. Maybe they'd start letting us wear them in Texas

3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters - I've never had the book filled out by the 10min mark. 15min is too early for HS.

4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd - I think this is going to cause more problems then it's going to help. Some teams just bought (or are buying) new jerseys to comply with the home wears "white not light" rule. Now there going to have to replace all there jerseys again? This is going to get real expensive and I don't think there's really much benefit.

6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling - Not unless we get a shot clock. We shouldn't penalize good defense. IMHO closely guarded should be called more not less.

7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul - Might make thinks less confusing. Would we still not change the arrow?

8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods - Would make close games more exciting but you'd have to have a clock operator who's on there toes (esp. since we don't have the benefit of replay like the NCAA/NBA)

9. play in halves instead of quarters - Why? Are we going to give teams additional timeouts for the two "free" fulls they lose because of this?

10. entend the game length to 36 minutes - NO!

11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only - Having had problems before with coaches very upset I couldn't hear them in a loud gym at the end of the game this would really help.

12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time YES! If I know .9 seconds came off the clock there is no logical reason I shouldn't be able to put them back on!

14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)
- Isn't this the way it's already called? This is how I understand the current rule. Maybe I'm missing something.

15. allow a shot clock by state adoption - Several states do it so we might as well make it legal.

16. court side replay for state championship games - If it's there we should be able to use it. I've had veteran officials tell me that if they had a buzzer beater that decided the state championship and there was any question, they would check a replay regardless of what the rule book said (I'm assuming they'd get UiL approval first).

18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring - Bad idea!

19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff) - This is how we're told to call it in Texas, although, I'm not sure it's actually a written rule.

20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul. This was a state exception in Texas this year. I'd rather get the NCAAW/NBA "punch" but that's just me.