The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Off topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Glad you are smiling Duane.
That typhoon didn't hurt you?
I was thinking about you....
mick
Thanks Mick, but no I am a fair bit south of where it hit. Tweed Heads is about 1300kms south of Townsville which copped the brunt of the hurricane. But we are getting the associated stormy weather - which made for a VERY wet ride into work on my motorbike this morning.

Thanks for your concern!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:10pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

1. 28 ft coaching box
I think so, this will allow head coaches to talk to any of their players on the bench.

2. permitting gray shirt for officials
Neutral, but I do like seeing the gray shirts on our Junior College-M officials

3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters
We have referees that won't enforce the current level on Varsity and above - So I say "heck no"

4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd
I don't like this either.

5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey
Neutral

6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling
Very bad idea. If I was coaching MS, I could have a ball (no-pun intended) stalling against the better teams in our league simply by dribbling all over the floor.

7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
Good idea. Addresses a difference between NCAA and NFHS.

8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
Don't favor in NFHS.

9. play in halves instead of quarters
Don't favor.

10. entend the game length to 36 minutes
Will this change the times for MS too? I don't think I like this.

11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only.
Neutral

12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
Neutral

13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the thrower
Neutral

14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)
Don't need.

15. allow a shot clock by state adoption
Neutral

16. courtside replay for state championship games
Neutral

17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
Neutral

18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring
Nope. Only if they make damaging the rim an automatic forfeit

19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)
Why make preventiive officiating a rule?

20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.
I'd much rather see the NCAA-W punch/jab mechanic used for TC. It's one of my favorite signals.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
Interesting - these rules are already implemented by FIBA - so I obviously whole-heartedlt support them
Reason enough to throw them all out.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Reason enough to throw them all out.
Geeze Padge, them's fightin' words!

But seriously - I reckon that in 5 or so years the differences in rules between FIBA and NCAA/NFHS will be minimal. Every 4 years when FIBA revises its rules they get closer and closer to rules in the US. And it looks like NCAA/NFHS is doing something similar.

Personally I think this can only be a good thing. It will make it much easier for players, fans, coaches and of course officials when taking part in international competition and moving between countries. Just my 2c

Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 09:18pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Hope we never see the trapezoid lane.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Hope we never see the trapezoid lane.
This is probably the one that will take longest to chnage, sinmply because of the financial/logistic problems in making all courts the same.

Having said that, I prefer the trapezoid lane - it makes it harder for physically huge players dominate, they have to be good basketball players as well as just big.

Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I left these two out earlier because I deemed the first one trivial and the second innane, but since people seem to be enjoying bashing the proposed changes so much I'm adding them now.

1. Submitted by South Dakota (Ruth Rehn - State Office)
Wristbands must be worn at the base of the thumb and can extend no more than three inches onto the wrist. (Rationale: A wristband must be worn as intended. Wearing them off the wrist is a distraction and draws attention to the individual. (A similar proposal was submitted by Iowa (Barr - State Office)

2. Submitted by North Dakota (Carlsrud - State Office)
Delete: 3-4-15: A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Rationale: Coaches and players don't like the rule, players break the rule, coaches don't enforce the rule, coaches chastise officials who enforce the rule and it is not being enforced at the NCAA level where kids see it on television. It doesn't seem fair that we continue "dumping" rules on officials causing them to stand with little support. If schools don't care how their uniforms look, why should the officials?

Pick your smilie.
A rule similar to #1 was added to the NF Football rules lst year. All the football officials I talked to both personally and on this forum thought it was the dumbest rule in the history of sports.

Mr. Chairman. I propose that Ms. Rehn of S.Dakota and Mr Barr of Iowa be publically censured and prohibited from making any further proposals.

FYI: I would welcome 2, 7, 12, 15, 17, 20.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
As an official who lives in Iowa and works for Mr. Barr, I can assure you we enforce the wristband rule as stated above. One would think there is more pressing issues to focus on, but how dare the players distract from the game and focus so much attention on themselves.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 07:29am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons
As an official who lives in Iowa and works for Mr. Barr, I can assure you we enforce the wristband rule as stated above. One would think there is more pressing issues to focus on, but how dare the players distract from the game and focus so much attention on themselves.
Must all sneakers be double-knotted as well?
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons

My point is there is no "wristband rule" in NF or any other code. And for an administrator to say I have to prostitute myself and enforce a rule that does not exist just because it is a pet peeve is full of himself and should be banned from involvement in any sport.

Besides, NF says it is OK to have a cast over my upper arm and still be able to play by paddding it but heaven forbid anyone compromise the safety on another player by wearing those wristband/armbands/Iverson sleeve's.

People who propose these kinds of rule changes are educated beyond their intelligence.

Tell Mr. Barr to either keep his mouth shut or quit. Preferably the latter. And if you don't want to do it give him my contact information.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

1. 28 ft coaching box - Fine by me, some coaches tend to roam anyway.

2. permitting gray shirt for officials - While I haven't used Grey shirts in high school play, i have used grey for adult leagues/tournaments. Associations may have to standarize though. It would look silly to have greys/zebra stripes at the same time

3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters - Not good out here. Some of the public schools have enough trouble getting things together at the 10 min. mark.

4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd - As others have stated, it's expensive and the public schools who don't have a lot of money will balk.

5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey - No opinion.

6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling - I guess I would support this as it would match the girls rules here in CA. However, I would be more open to leaving this alone and CA allowing the girls to play by the same rules as the boys.

7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul - Sure.

8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods - Blah. Some games go long enough as is. If a team is behind, it would just encourage them to keep fouling and stretch those last minutes to an eternity.

9. play in halves instead of quarters - Interesting idea. I would think it would affect coaches more than officials. It might be good as the game should get into a pretty good flow without the quarter break.

10. entend the game length to 36 minutes - Probably not.

11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only - Leave it only. It's fine as is.

12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time - N/A

13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the thrower - N/A

14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.) - Complicated enough as is.....I say leave it alone.

15. allow a shot clock by state adoption - N/A

16. courtside replay for state championship games - N/A

17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types. - Yes

18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring - No

19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff) - Harsh, but perhaps the rule should just say, if the coach is out of the box REGARDLESS of what he is doing, we should warn him.

20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul. - Sure, some officials are using the college "punch" mechanic.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
My point is there is no "wristband rule" in NF or any other code. And for an administrator to say I have to prostitute myself and enforce a rule that does not exist just because it is a pet peeve is full of himself and should be banned from involvement in any sport.

Besides, NF says it is OK to have a cast over my upper arm and still be able to play by paddding it but heaven forbid anyone compromise the safety on another player by wearing those wristband/armbands/Iverson sleeve's.

People who propose these kinds of rule changes are educated beyond their intelligence.

Tell Mr. Barr to either keep his mouth shut or quit. Preferably the latter. And if you don't want to do it give him my contact information.
I realize there is no "wristband rule." I should have stated it as "the proposed wristband rule," and this is how it appears in our preseason mailing:

Regarding SWEATBANDS and HEADBANDS: The National Federation Rule Book, on Page 26, Section 5, Article 3 states, "Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn." (Sweatbands worn on the wrist, and headbands to be worn on the head.) One manufacturer's logo/trademark is permitted on the sweatbands or headbands. A headband no wider than 2", single-colored cloth may be worn. Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair.

How sweatbands are unnatural or designed to increase a player's height or reach to gain an advantage is beyond my three years of experience.

Therefore I must enforce this as is, regardless of the logic (or lack thereof) behind it. It's hard to argue when the person writing the interpretations is also deciding the post-season assignments.

By the way, the players are not required to double-knot their shoe laces yet. I think they can still wear velcro if they want too.