The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

2006 Proposed Rule Revisions

Got a copy of what the rules committee is considering at their meeting. Thought I'd share a few and get some feedback from the forum.

1. 28 ft coaching box
2. permitting gray shirt for officials
3. 15 minute mark for submitting player roster and starters
4. Home team wears even numbers, visitors odd
5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jersey
6. eliminate closely guarded while dribbling
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foul
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
9. play in halves instead of quarters
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball only
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the thrower
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mike Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)
15. allow a shot clock by state adoption
16. courtside replay for state championship games
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ring
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

You can be favor, don't favor, or neutral on these items.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:40pm.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

So, is zero even or odd? Don't tell me it's metric!
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
I really like some of these ideas. In paticular 20, 17, 7, and 5. However numbers 18 and 4 have me scratching my head saying WTF!?!
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periods
14. "a closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player."
(Mick Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)
I do not like these suggestions. Once again, just my opinion.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
So, is zero even or odd? Don't tell me it's metric!
The proposal stated that zero and double zero would be considered even.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.

who the hell cares!!!!! Don't they have better things to spend time on?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the time
16. courtside replay for state championship games

Absolutely! These four make perfect sense.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

No.

This rule would require officials to be on the court prior to the 15 minute mark.

Leave it where it is.

One change that should be made at the HS level: 20 seconds to replace a DQ'ed player.

One change that will happen IMO is team control on the throw in.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:19pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Got a copy of what the rules committee is considering at their meeting. Thought I'd share a few and get some feedback from the forum.

1. 28 ft coaching box
That would allow them to cover the whole bench area
We already use them here in VT, and NH & ME use them as well.
Deep six this one, sometimes 10 minutes is tough esp at sub-varsity level.
Opens up for a lot of admin Ts. Must be for the color blind.
5. require headbands/sweatbands to be same color as jerseyWhat about armsleeves?
If the defender is playing good defense, why?
7. include a foul committed during a throw-in by the throwing team as a team control foulWouldn't the definition need to change?
8. stopping the game clock on made goals in the final minute of the 4thQ and extra periodsNot sure this is necessary
Ditto
10. entend the game length to 36 minutes
It already is if you are unfortunate enough to get to OT.
11. Only permitting players on the court to request a TO, head coach during a dead ball onlyYESSSSSS!
12. eliminate lag time if officials have definite knowledge of the timeno opinion
13. change from a held ball to an OOB violation on the thrower when the thrower holds the ball across the boundary plane and a defender grasps it simultaneously with the throwermakes sense
(Mick Dick of Iowa Girls HS ath union writes of a situation in which the offensive player is cg for three seconds and then dribbles around the defender who chases the offensive player from behind but within six feet, "By current rule, the closely guarded count would continue." Hmmmm...while this clarification would be nice, it seems that someone needs to read the definition of guarding.)common sense would haev one stop the count--not sure it has to be defined.
16. courtside replay for state championship gamesBy adoption maybe. Our games are not televised.
17. assessing only one delay of game warning for any type of delay of game situation per team instead of one for each of the three types.Would rather they deal with all the hand slapping between throws that technically is not a huddle.
18. allow pregame dunking, but not hanging on the ringWorm can
19. coach is out of box and "just coaching" - first offense = warning, second offense = T; coach is out of box and behaving inappropriately - first offense = T (submitted by Mary Struckhoff)Not necessary imo
20. Make signal #33 (current player control signal) also used for reporting a team control foul.Would be a lot simpler

You can be favor, don't favor, or neutral on these items.
Nice find, Nevada.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Are you kidding?

I don't mean to offend anyone, so if I do, I'm sorry in advance, but these are the most useless bunch of rules to consider changing.

Here is one for you, just off the top of my head. A1 is fouled by B1, in non-shooting situation, A is in the bonus but scorer fails to notify official. A is awarded the ball, inbounds ball and scores a 3 pointer. By rule this is now the first dead ball, we should stop play and award A1 his/her bonus throws. Now you have a 5 point swing because the scorer made a mistake. That's just dumb. I say nullify it if A team scores on the same possession.

The majority of these rules just don't seem that important to me.

Maybe 11 and 16 (where available) are worth looking at.

Maybe there is significance in 4 if it's truly for the color blind, but it is a financially costly change to make for the schools, and that means 2 sets for each team. I think they can distinguish as things are, although I'm not color blind so I don't know. Anyone color blind that can enlighten me on how difficult it is?

What is meant by "Lag time" in 12. Is that the 1 second reaction time for the timer?

Last edited by psycho_ref; Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 11:59pm.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Here's the full text since this one has generated some questions:

The home team shall wear even numerals (which includes 0 and 00) and the visiting team shall wear odd numerals. Rationale: When there are two players wearing the same numerals on the court at the same time, it increases the changes [sic] of recording the wrong player with a foul violation at the time of the foul call. In the excitement of fast-moving game, such a mistake can occur with the presence of duplicate numerals. A change to an even-odd system of numerals may require more than one calendar year to set up, but once in place, it would aid officials and scorers and thus benefit the players and the game.

Submitted by: Pennsylvania (Werner)
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_ref
Maybe there is significance in 4 if it's truly for the color blind, but it is a financially costly change to make for the schools, and that means 2 sets for each team. I think they can distinguish as things are, although I'm not color blind so I don't know. Anyone color blind that can enlighten me on how difficult it is?
I'm color-blind, but this is, to be nice, an unnecessary rule for High School. Now, in Rec Leagues where one team wear dark red and the other wears black, that would be a great rule.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
11, 12 yes, please!

15 maybe.

The rest are more trouble than they are worth, especially anything that has to do with the table. It's tough enough now to have God only knows who doing the table, especially for sub-varsity. Trying to stop at the right time in the last minute when a shot is made (huh? says table person) would be more than a lot of table people could handle.

I could list 10 schools in my area that could not afford separate sets of jerseys for #4, why make life more difficult for them than it already is?

Longer game? Why?

20 -- absolutely not. I know I'm the only person in the country who feels this way, but I think there should be separate signals for PC and TC fouls.

I agree with Dan about team control on the throw-in.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 01:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
20 -- absolutely not. I know I'm the only person in the country who feels this way, but I think there should be separate signals for PC and TC fouls.

I agree with Dan about team control on the throw-in.
I would agree you would be the only person that I have ever heard of that feels that way. There is no reason for two difference signals when the result in both is exactly the same. All other levels use the same signal (which is where many of our rules filter down from anyway) for the most part.

The second part should have been done when the rule was put in place. It would only make sense.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

I left these two out earlier because I deemed the first one trivial and the second innane, but since people seem to be enjoying bashing the proposed changes so much I'm adding them now.

1. Submitted by South Dakota (Ruth Rehn - State Office)
Wristbands must be worn at the base of the thumb and can extend no more than three inches onto the wrist. (Rationale: A wristband must be worn as intended. Wearing them off the wrist is a distraction and draws attention to the individual. (A similar proposal was submitted by Iowa (Barr - State Office)

2. Submitted by North Dakota (Carlsrud - State Office)
Delete: 3-4-15: A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt...
Rationale: Coaches and players don't like the rule, players break the rule, coaches don't enforce the rule, coaches chastise officials who enforce the rule and it is not being enforced at the NCAA level where kids see it on television. It doesn't seem fair that we continue "dumping" rules on officials causing them to stand with little support. If schools don't care how their uniforms look, why should the officials?

Pick your smilie.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

There are a couple solid suggestions here and a couple really hairbrained ones IMO. #4 could be the dumbest rule suggestion I've ever heard for reasons I won't get into. #s 8, 12 and 17 simply make sense and we should adopt them. I don't like 6, 11, 13 or 19.

The one I want to support but will take some flack for it is #1. In California, we allow a coaches box, but it is so small that it becomes hard to enforce. It has led to a mentality that "As long as he's coaching, he can wander a bit." Additionally, because the box is so small it forces officials to be more attentive to enforce it, and doing so can lead to the impression of being overly officious (in other words, marking with tape and reminding the coach to stay there) and can lead to a needlessly contentious relationship between coaches and officials. I think expanding the coaches box will allow coaches to better coach their players and it will lead to better communication with us. The one caveat is that I think the coach's box priviledges should only be extended to HCs at the varsity level. Varsity coaches deserve that consideration because the expectation is that they're more experienced and can make responsible use of the box, and that varsity officials have the communication skills to better manage the bench. At the subvarsity level, I don't see a need for any coach's box. In short, I think an expanded coaches box will be like the tableside mechanic and facilitate better communication between officials and coaches and allow both of us to better do our jobs.