The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

2004 Proposed Rule Revisions

Along with the agenda for NFHS Basketball Rules Committee meeting this past weekend in Indy, the 2004 proposed rule revisions were distributed. They were voted upon at this meeting. I do not yet know which were passed.
Anyway here is a list of what was included (if anyone wants more info on a specific proposal just ask):
1. 1-5-2 Remove the requirement for contrasting lane lines and lane space marks.
2. 1-13-2 Delete the phrase mandating that the coaching box lines contrast with the OOB lines.
3. 1-13-2 Standardize the length of the coaching box nationally, instead of allowing the state associations to choose 6 or 14. Doesn't say what the standard length would be.
4. 2-1-1 Permit the use of the grey shirt for officials.
5. 2-12-5 Change the time for the replacement of a player to 15 seconds with a warning horn at 10 seconds.
6. 3-4-6 Note Require the home team to wear WHITE, the visiting team shall wear dark uniforms.
7. 4-6 Allow the offense to commit BI without penalty.
8. 4-10 Drop the closely guarded rule entirely.
9. 4-10 Drop the closely guarded count while dribbling.
10. 4-29 Making kicking include the whole leg, not just the knee or below.
11. 4-35-4 Allow the airborne player exception to the backcourt violation to also apply if the airborne player passes the ball to a teammate before returning to the floor.
12. 5-5 Play the game in two 16-minute halves.
13. 5-5 Play the game in two 18-minute halves.
14. 5-5-1 Allow the playing of halves instead of quarters to be a state assn adoption.
15. 5-8-3a Don't permit an airborne player to call time-out.
16. 5-11-1 Allow one TO to be used for substitution only, not requiring the full time to be used.
17. 7-5-9 On double personal or double technical fouls, put the ball back in play at POI, instead of using the arrow.
18. 8-1-3b Use the NCAA womens free throw line up, players must still wait for the ball to hit the ring or backboard before entering the lane.
19. 8-1-3b Use the NCAA womens free throw line up and allow players to enter upon the release.
20. 8-1-3b Allow the player in the first marked lane space (nearest the end line) to stand on the block. (NCAA Mens)
21. 9-2-11 Note If a held ball occurs during a throw-in because the thrower holds the ball through the plane, consider it an OOB violation on the thrower. Reverse the arrow if it was an AP throw-in. Team B will now be given the ball for a throw-in.
22. 9-10-3b Stop the closely guarded count if the defenders switch, instead of continuing the count when a second defender takes over the guarding duty.
23. 9-14 Permit the use of a shot clock by state assn adoption.
24. 10-3-7d Make it a technical foul to purposely obstruct the vision of an opponent by placing hands near his/her eyes, whether or not the opponent has the ball.
25. 10-4-4 Include a provision for players who leave the bench during an altercation (not just a fight). The penalty would be the same as for a fight = flagrant T.
26. Signal chart Add the NCAA signal for not closely guarded.

Those are our possible rule changes for this coming season.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Also according to this packet, the states which currently use a shot clock (7 of them) do not get to participate in the rule-making process!
I guess that they don't consider them to be playing NFHS rules and so don't give them a vote.
Chuck since your state (MA) uses both the shot clock and plays in halves, were you aware of this?
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb My take, not that is matters.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

1. 1-5-2 Remove the requirement for contrasting lane lines and lane space marks.
Do not care.

Quote:
2. 1-13-2 Delete the phrase mandating that the coaching box lines contrast with the OOB lines.
Do not care.

Quote:
3. 1-13-2 Standardize the length of the coaching box nationally, instead of allowing the state associations to choose 6 or 14. Doesn't say what the standard length would be.
Would like the 14 foot box. I think it is easier to officiate the coaches that way.

Quote:
4. 2-1-1 Permit the use of the grey shirt for officials.
No WAY!!!

Quote:
5. 2-12-5 Change the time for the replacement of a player to 15 seconds with a warning horn at 10 seconds.
I like the old Experimental Rule that we used in Illinois, but this would be a good change in the right direction.

Quote:
6. 3-4-6 Note Require the home team to wear WHITE, the visiting team shall wear dark uniforms.
Do not really care either way.

Quote:
7. 4-6 Allow the offense to commit BI without penalty.
Would not like this rule.

Quote:
8. 4-10 Drop the closely guarded rule entirely.
I like the defensive aspect to the game. I think they should always keep this rule.

Quote:
9. 4-10 Drop the closely guarded count while dribbling.
Might work for girl's basketball, I think would widen the gap in boy's basketball between teams if you ask me. Not a good rule.

Quote:
10. 4-29 Making kicking include the whole leg, not just the knee or below.
No problem with this one.

Quote:
11. 4-35-4 Allow the airborne player exception to the backcourt violation to also apply if the airborne player passes the ball to a teammate before returning to the floor.
No real opinion on this one.

Quote:
12. 5-5 Play the game in two 16-minute halves.
I think halves would be much better.

Quote:
13. 5-5 Play the game in two 18-minute halves.
I would not be totally against this.

Quote:
14. 5-5-1 Allow the playing of halves instead of quarters to be a state assn adoption.
Just make the change across the board.

Quote:
15. 5-8-3a Don't permit an airborne player to call time-out.
I would love this rule.

Quote:
16. 5-11-1 Allow one TO to be used for substitution only, not requiring the full time to be used.
Would speed up the game.

Quote:
17. 7-5-9 On double personal or double technical fouls, put the ball back in play at POI, instead of using the arrow.
I would be open to this.

Quote:
18. 8-1-3b Use the NCAA womens free throw line up, players must still wait for the ball to hit the ring or backboard before entering the lane.
No, would not be a good idea for Boy's basketball. There would be no offensive rebounds.

Quote:
19. 8-1-3b Use the NCAA womens free throw line up and allow players to enter upon the release.
I would like this changed back. Then maybe I would go for #18.

Quote:
20. 8-1-3b Allow the player in the first marked lane space (nearest the end line) to stand on the block. (NCAA Mens)
Would not have a problem with this. Would make it easier to officiate in my opinion.

Quote:
21. 9-2-11 Note If a held ball occurs during a throw-in because the thrower holds the ball through the plane, consider it an OOB violation on the thrower. Reverse the arrow if it was an AP throw-in. Team B will now be given the ball for a throw-in.
Open to it, but I think there is a lot going on here. I would rather just see this as a violation.

Quote:
22. 9-10-3b Stop the closely guarded count if the defenders switch, instead of continuing the count when a second defender takes over the guarding duty.
I would actually like this change.

Quote:
23. 9-14 Permit the use of a shot clock by state assn adoption.
I really do not care. But I think it would be hard to put into place in my state. I think the cost would be a too much of a factor. We already do not have clock operators that are clueless, now we are just going to add another clueless person on a clock.

Quote:
24. 10-3-7d Make it a technical foul to purposely obstruct the vision of an opponent by placing hands near his/her eyes, whether or not the opponent has the ball.
Would not mind this. It is very rare to begin with.

Quote:
25. 10-4-4 Include a provision for players who leave the bench during an altercation (not just a fight). The penalty would be the same as for a fight = flagrant T.
No problem here.

Quote:
26. Signal chart Add the NCAA signal for not closely guarded.
More signals are better. They need to get rid of the stop clock signal for out of bounds calls if you ask me. But they did not ask me.

Thanks Nevadaref for the posting.

Peace

Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Seems like most of the changes are going to the NCAA rules

I really like numbers 5,10,11,21, and 22.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 06:29am
Huck Finn

Does #13 include a 12.5% pay increase?
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

my $.02

I like #'s

don't like #'s

comment on 24 JRut, I disagree here according to what I see in the proposal, getting a hand in a shooters face would be a T...here in Wyoming we still see that quite a little bit...

the rest of the proposals I am on the fence about.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
comment on 24 JRut, I disagree here according to what I see in the proposal, getting a hand in a shooters face would be a T...here in Wyoming we still see that quite a little bit...
They play basketball in Wyoming?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also according to this packet, the states which currently use a shot clock (7 of them) do not get to participate in the rule-making process!
I guess that they don't consider them to be playing NFHS rules and so don't give them a vote.
That's not new. If you deviate from NFHS rules, you do not get a voice in the rule process.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
Hard to do though because they have frozen ba....
Naw can't do this, rainmaker will run all of us out of here,
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Peace

Well it is what we call it anyway LOL....not sure the folks in the Triad of NC would call it basketball, or those in Illinois and Indiana, but we give it our best shot...speaking of shots...there is Basketball History in Wyoming.... check out this link...and pay attention to Kenny Sailors.. http://www.johnchristgau.com/jumpshot/jumpshot.html

Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

cmathews,

Just having a little fun (I know you know that btw). Please, we have some basketball here that is very hard to recognize as basketball.

For imformation sake, there was a kid from Chicago that went to Wyoming to play at the University. At least to my knowledge he is probably one of their better players, Jason Striat(sp?) Good kid from all accounts and raised some eyebrows when he went to Wyoming. I was prepared for you to come back and make a crack about that.

Now ya know.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I was just ahead of my time when I screwed this one up yesterday.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
cmathews,

Just having a little fun (I know you know that btw). Please, we have some basketball here that is very hard to recognize as basketball.

For imformation sake, there was a kid from Chicago that went to Wyoming to play at the University. At least to my knowledge he is probably one of their better players, Jason Striat(sp?) Good kid from all accounts and raised some eyebrows when he went to Wyoming. I was prepared for you to come back and make a crack about that.

Now ya know.

Peace
Yeah Strait is one of our better players. There are a lot of people out here that don't like his slashing driving style. They think it is too "selfish". I am one that does like the way he plays. He will be a Senior this season and hopefully he will get us back to the tournament, with some help of course.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 03:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They say the same thing about Pierre Pierce at Iowa. But he was the only guy on the team last year who could create his own shot at any time in the game (not necessarily make, but create.)
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Quote:

Peace
Hard to do though because they have frozen ba....
Naw can't do this, rainmaker will run all of us out of here,
Hey, I'm not a moderator! The only posts I can "run out" are my own. Although there have been one or two that I petitioned about....