The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:15am
In Memoriam

Defensive player B1 leaves his feet to defend a faked lob pass. While B1 is airborne, A1 moves underneath him. To avoid injury, B1 grasps the basket ring. While B1 is grasping the ring, A2 shoots the ball. Just after A2 shoots, B1 lets go of the ring and lands safely. The ring is still moving when A2's shot hits the ring and then(a)goes in or(b)doesn't go in.

What's the call in both cases.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Defensive player B1 leaves his feet to defend a faked lob pass. While B1 is airborne, A1 moves underneath him. To avoid injury, B1 grasps the basket ring. While B1 is grasping the ring, A2 shoots the ball. Just after A2 shoots, B1 lets go of the ring and lands safely. The ring is still moving when A2's shot hits the ring and then(a)goes in or(b)doesn't go in.

Did B1 pull down the moveable ring? If so did the ring contact the ball before it returned to its original position? Was B1 graspng the ring when the ball was in the cylinder?

If not then I got nuthin'.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When a player grasps a ring to prevent injury, s/he is "protected" from a T, but is not "prtoected" from committing a BI violation.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Did B1 pull down the moveable ring? If so did the ring contact the ball before it returned to its original position? Was B1 graspng the ring when the ball was in the cylinder?

B1 had already let go off the ring before the shot contacted it, but the ring was still moving from B1 pulling on it when the ball hit the ring.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

so if it hadn't returned to it's position before the ball hit it(or as you say, rim was still moving) then it has to be basket interference...no T as long as he was avoiding injury
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

B1 had already let go off the ring before the shot contacted it, but the ring was still moving from B1 pulling on it when the ball hit the ring.
Oh.

Hmmm...B1 can grab the ring to prevent injury but there's no so such exception for making the ring vibrate when the shot's in the air.

Can I just tell the coach I didn't see him grab the ring?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
so if it hadn't returned to it's position before the ball hit it(or as you say, rim was still moving) then it has to be basket interference...no T as long as he was avoiding injury
I believe once it returns to it's original locked position there can't be BI, even if the ring's still rockin'.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh.

Hmmm...B1 can grab the ring to prevent injury but there's no so such exception for making the ring vibrate when the shot's in the air.

Can I just tell the coach I didn't see him grab the ring?
As long as there is involvement between a defender/basket that causes a ball to not go in--I've got GT. It it was grabbed for protection--pass on the T.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I believe once it returns to it's original locked position there can't be BI, even if the ring's still rockin'.

Any action by a defender that causes the basket/support to be moving while the ball is in the cylinder is BI in my book--(I can't quote a rule book reference). EX. Slapping the backboard in an attempt to block a shot while the ball is in the cylinder.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Yabut.........

What does the NFHS believe? Do they agree with you?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

As long as there is involvement between a defender/basket that causes a ball to not go in--I've got GT. It it was grabbed for protection--pass on the T.
[/B][/QUOTE]

so i can go for a blocked shot and miss the ball and slap the backboard (unintentionally) and make the goal move and your going to call goaltending?????? same thing isn't it..

if the rim is in it's original upright position you can't have anything i wouldn't think??
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216
[/B]
Any action by a defender that causes the basket/support to be moving while the ball is in the cylinder is BI in my book--(I can't quote a rule book reference). EX. Slapping the backboard in an attempt to block a shot while the ball is in the cylinder.
[/B][/QUOTE]You may want to re-think that "slap" comment, Coach. It's completely wrong, by explicit rule.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B][/QUOTE]

so i can go for a blocked shot and miss the ball and slap the backboard (unintentionally) and make the goal move and your going to call goaltending?????? same thing isn't it..

if the rim is in it's original upright position you can't have anything i wouldn't think?? [/B][/QUOTE]I'm not sure that the coach is aware of the difference between GT and BI.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216
[/B]
You may want to re-think that "slap" comment, Coach. It's completely wrong, by explicit rule. [/B][/QUOTE]

Please give me the rule reference--I have always thought that if you caused the basket (ring/backboard/support) to move while the ball was in the cylinder, that's BI.

If I'm wrong--I need to be corrected (& learn something!)

It just doesn't seem right that a player can slap the backboard in an attempt to block a shot (causing the basket/support to rock) while the ball is in the cylinder, and have that not be BI. I'm sure I have seen it called that way many times.

Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

as long as it's not intentional slapping of the backboard going for a blocked shot... you can not call anything even if u think the ball would have went in if the backboard had not of shook a little.... the only thing you can have is a technical foul if you think the slap was intentional!!!! rule 10.3.5.b says "intentionally slap and cause to vibrate" if they are going for a blocked shot they were not intentionally trying to make the backboard/rim shake... no violation, Although many referees call goaltending to make the offense happy...