The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 08:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...pl82%2Fg%3D%3D

IAABO Play Commentary

Correct Answer: This is not a violation.

The ball is considered out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
1. A player who is out of bounds.
2. Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside a boundary.
3. The supports or back of the backboard.
4. The ceiling, overhead equipment or supports.
b. When it passes over a rectangular backboard. (7-1-2)

In this play, the ball was legally passed behind the backboard among teammates. It should be further noted that a ball that is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court. (4-4-3) In this play, the passer has inbounds status when he releases the pass that appears to break the plane of the boundary line toward his teammate. Even though the ball may be on the out-of-bounds side of the boundary plane, the ball retains inbound status while in flight.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a violation 74% (including me). This is a violation 26%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 19, 2021 at 09:03am.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 09:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Unpleasantly Surprised ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is a violation 26%.
Wow.

While we can all agree to disagree on subjective judgement calls, or debate the sometimes ambiguous and/or complex definition language found in the rulebbok, or politely discuss the intent and purpose of some rules and interpretations, or speculate on something that is not clearly shown in a video ... I was unpleasantly surprised by this survey result.

Wow.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is not a violation 74% (including me). This is a violation 26%.
I reviewed many of the comments when I completed this activity. Plenty of them believed W2 landed out of bounds before releasing the ball, which had to have contributed to the 26%. Some number definitely, and very much incorrectly, considered the pass itself as out of bounds.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 11:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is That Considered Out Of Bounds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
I reviewed many of the comments when I completed this activity. Plenty of them believed W2 landed out of bounds before releasing the ball, which had to have contributed to the 26%. Some number definitely, and very much incorrectly, considered the pass itself as out of bounds.
Agree. Maybe I over-reacted.

IAABO worded the video poorly. As I discussed earlier with JRutledge, Is this an out of bounds violation? and This is a violation, were not worded in a way to investigate the legality of what IAABO wanted examined, a pass going behind the backboard (or a pass going over the plane of the endline).

The additional wording The ball passes behind the backboard on this cross-court pass. Is that considered out of bounds? was easier to understand (and tell the viewers what needed be examined).

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 19, 2021 at 11:52am.