The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Behind The Backboard …

IAABO Make The Call Video

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...pl82%2Fg%3D%3D

Is this an out of bounds violation? The ball passes behind the backboard on this cross-court pass. Is that considered out of bounds?

Two choices: This is a violation. This is not a violation.

My comment: This is not a violation. The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot legally pass over, but it can pass behind, a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds, as well as the supporting structures.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Embarrassed In The IAABO Universe ...

Some IAABO members have commented that White #2 may have touched the boundary with his right foot before releasing his cross court pass.

Also, and I'm embarrassed to say this, several IAABO members who commented just don't know the rule.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Not sure what they are asking here. It is not a violation to throw a pass outside the plane of the out-of-bounds line. It honestly looks like a Travel before the pass, but that was not the question.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Also, and I'm embarrassed to say this, several IAABO members who commented just don't know the rule.
Did any of them post a long, rambling, off-topic (or only tangentially related) essay on the history of the backboard?

That would be more embarrassing
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Instigator ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Did any of them post a long, rambling, off-topic (or only tangentially related) essay on the history of the backboard?
Thanks for the idea:

(Wilt) Chamberlain is also credited with a rule change regarding inbounding the ball by front court inbounders standing behind the endline underneath their basket. His (Kansas) teammates would routinely inbound the ball by lobbing the ball over the backboard where Chamberlain would catch the lob pass and dunk the ball into the basket for an easy score. In 1956, the NCAA, followed by the NFHS in 1957, ruled that the ball is out of bounds when it passes over a rectangular backboard (in either direction).

Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure what they are asking here. It is not a violation to throw a pass outside the plane of the out-of-bounds line.
IAABO is trying to see if members will confuse "over" the backboard rules with "behind" the backboard rules, and some IAABO members, unfortunately, were confused.

Do to a lack of controversy, or a lack of a challenging rule interpretation, I almost didn't post this IAABO Make The Call Video on the Forum, until I started reading many incorrect comments.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:35pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

It seems like they need to in plays like this state this is not a violation or show a legal play, but this muddies the waters with other rules that do not apply. I guess, not my organization.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Muddy The Waters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It seems like they need to in plays like this state this is not a violation or show a legal play, but this muddies the waters with other rules that do not apply.
Agree. The question should have been: The ball passes behind the backboard on this cross-court pass. Is that considered out of bounds?

Adding the question: Is this an out of bounds violation? did muddy the waters, especially when there is possibility that White #2 may have touched the boundary with his right foot before releasing his cross court pass.

Note: I do not believe that White #2 touched the boundary with his right foot before releasing his cross court pass.

While IAABO members have to choose one of the limited answers offered (two choices in this video), all members must write a comment explaining their answer in order to cast a "vote". No explanatory comment means no "vote". Also, one can't see "votes" and explanatory comments from others until one posts one's own "vote" and explanatory comment.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:35pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Great pass after putting himself in a bad position.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 01:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Way ??? Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Great pass after putting himself in a bad position.
Agree. Knowing in advance (we see the questions before we click on the video) that this video was going to be about a pass behind the backboard, as I was watching the video I was thinking to myself that there was no way that White #2 was going to get out of this jam with a cross court pass behind the backboard.

But he did. Bravo.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 01:46pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Over A Rectangular Backboard In Either Direction Rule ...

Several years ago, working with one of the best officials on my local high school board. Highly rated (big rivalry games every Friday night). Respected by coaches (several state finals as voted by coaches). Knows the rules (rules training committee and mechanics training committee). Knows the game (former star college player). Also officiates NCAA.

I'm Lead. Three point attempt from opposite my side. Like any well trained Lead, I've got my eyes down watching for rebounding action. Not watching the ball. There's an odd pause in the rebounding action. Over my shoulder I see the ball hitting out of bounds on the floor directly behind the basket.

Sound my whistle. Stop the clock. I don't have a call. Ask my partner for help. Indicates we're going the other way. I inbound the ball.

Halftime intermission. I ask my partner about the "help" out of bounds call, "What happened?".

Reply was, "Shot bounced off the rim and went over the backboard, but it didn't touch anything".

I replied to, "Double check the rule", which was immediately followed by a knock on the locker room door to start the second half.

I never followed up. Is the NCAA "over the (rectangular) backboard in either direction" rule the same as the NFHS rule?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 19, 2021 at 10:38am.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

My biggest concern watching this video wasn’t the play. It was game management and what was surely violations of fire code regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 08:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Stand There ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It was game management and what was surely violations of fire code regulations.
Keen eye crosscountry55.

1-20: Non-playing personnel must be located outside the free-throw lane lines extended toward the sidelines throughout the game.

Among other problems.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 18, 2021 at 10:15am.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My biggest concern watching this video wasn’t the play. It was game management and what was surely violations of fire code regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt they were anywhere near a fire code violation. Many gyms are also spec'd to be used with rows of season filling the floor for non-sports gatherings. Such an arrangement would support hundreds more than could stand on the endline.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2021, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Marshall Bill ...

Quote:
... violations of fire code regulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I doubt they were anywhere near a fire code violation.
Is there a "Firefighter Forum"?