View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 03:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Over A Rectangular Backboard In Either Direction Rule ...

Several years ago, working with one of the best officials on my local high school board. Highly rated (big rivalry games every Friday night). Respected by coaches (several state finals as voted by coaches). Knows the rules (rules training committee and mechanics training committee). Knows the game (former star college player). Also officiates NCAA.

I'm Lead. Three point attempt from opposite my side. Like any well trained Lead, I've got my eyes down watching for rebounding action. Not watching the ball. There's an odd pause in the rebounding action. Over my shoulder I see the ball hitting out of bounds on the floor directly behind the basket.

Sound my whistle. Stop the clock. I don't have a call. Ask my partner for help. Indicates we're going the other way. I inbound the ball.

Halftime intermission. I ask my partner about the "help" out of bounds call, "What happened?".

Reply was, "Shot bounced off the rim and went over the backboard, but it didn't touch anything".

I replied to, "Double check the rule", which was immediately followed by a knock on the locker room door to start the second half.

I never followed up. Is the NCAA "over the (rectangular) backboard in either direction" rule the same as the NFHS rule?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 19, 2021 at 10:38am.