The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball goes over the backboard but does not touch the top, is this still out of bounds?
If a person were to shoot it from behind the backboard and once again does not touch the backboard does the shot count?
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by luanchpad on 12-16-1999 02:17 PM
If the ball goes over the backboard but does not touch the top, is this still out of bounds?
If a person were to shoot it from behind the backboard and once again does not touch the backboard does the shot count?

It depends on wht type of backboard. The action you describe is illegal on a rectangular backboard, but legal on a fan shaped backboard.

Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 07:20pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins on 12-16-1999 03:01 PM
It depends on wht type of backboard. The action you describe is illegal on a rectangular backboard, but legal on a fan shaped backboard.

Unless you are Larry Bird in the NBA. Remember that shot from a hundred years ago?
mick
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

launchpad, I don't understand why you ask an idiotic question like that. Did you graduate from Princeton, MN or something?
Old Thu Dec 16, 1999, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by mick on 12-16-1999 06:20 PM Unless you are Larry Bird in the NBA. Remember that shot from a hundred years ago?
mick

Believe it or not, I actually hit a shot like that during a lunchtime YMCA game a few years ago. We were on a fast break and a teammate made a bad pass. I grabbed it, was falling out of bounds and had no one to pass to, so I heaved it over the backboard and it went in. I smiled but wasn't going to say anything - unfortunately, a fellow official was waiting for winners and sold me out. Oh well.
Old Fri Dec 17, 1999, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

[/QUOTE]
Unless you are Larry Bird in the NBA. Remember that shot from a hundred years ago?
mick[/quote]

I believe the shot was waved off. They usually stop the hi-lite just as the official appears to begin waving it off.

dk
Old Fri Dec 17, 1999, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This is one of my favorite shots for HORSE. Too bad it is a violation in the real game. Just like my shot from the fifth row in the bleachers.:-( I know, I couldn't believe it either.
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

LaunchPad:

Believe it not it happened to me last Thursday in Mesquite, Nevada.

A player was driving the baseline when he was confronted by two very large people wearing the opposing colors. He faded away from the players towards out of bounds almost knocking me to the floor. He then released the ball which went over the backboard and into the basket.

I paused waiting for my partner, the lead, to make the call. However, he was not in position to see the ball, therefore, I waved off the basket.

This is one time when as a lead it paid off to be looking above the shoulders.
Old Mon Dec 20, 1999, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

I paused waiting for my partner, the lead, to make the call.

You meant to say "the trail" here, correct? The ball passing over the backboard is, of course, Trail's call. The Lead shouldn't be looking up there if he has any trust at all of his partner.

Just clarifying for any new officials who may be reading...