Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

NCAAM Potential Rules Changes

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...e-interesting/
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Didn't they try the "held ball goes to the defense" rule several years ago?

It seems to me that it went over so well that there was a movement among coaches to get the rule rescinded mid-season.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Didn't they try the "held ball goes to the defense" rule several years ago?

It seems to me that it went over so well that there was a movement among coaches to get the rule rescinded mid-season.
As I recall, the rule was inspired by an NCAA tournament game (when alternating possession was fairly new) in which Stanford made a great defensive play while trying to come back in the final seconds, only to have the alternating possession go the other way, effectively ending the game. (Quite long back--I believe in the Mark Madsen era at Stanford.)

And yes, as I recall, the result was a mess--particularly where there was a defender grabbed the ball away (thereby instantly becoming the attacker) and the person who lost the ball (now the defender) forced a held ball. As I recall, the rule was one-and-done.

If we really hate the impact of alternating possession arrow in end game (which I do), a better path would be to either abolish it entirely or go back to jump balls in the final two minutes.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

I see a bunch of gimmicky proposals. Glad I'm closing in on the end of my career.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

I think these are just proposals that someone throws at the wall sometime to see if they stick.

I think many of these will never go over or change.

The lane thing has been discussed before and that is actually likely if not this year but in the future.

We will see.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 10:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Yes, There Will Be A Quiz Tomorrow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2020-21 Possible Rule Changes — Widen the lane to 16 feet.
Today's history lesson - "The Lane".

From: Who’s Trent Tucker? And Why Is There A Basketball Rule Named After Him?

Leroy Edwards (Kentucky 1934-1935, NBL 1935-1949), a six foot, five inch All-American center for the Kentucky Wildcats, a prolific scorer in the days of low scoring games, is generally recognized as the player responsible for the implementation of the three second rule. Enacted in 1936, the rule was originally designed to limit rough play near the basket. The three second rule states that an offensive player cannot remain in an opponent’s free throw lane area for more than three consecutive seconds while his team has the ball in the frontcourt. A game central to this rule's introduction was that between Coach Adolph Rupp’s University of Kentucky Wildcats, and the New York University Violets, held in Madison Square Garden on January 5, 1935, a game that was especially rough. While the three second rule was originally adopted to reduce roughness between big men in the free throw lane area, it is now used to prevent tall offensive players from gaining an advantage by waiting close to the basket. The NFHS adopted the three second rule in 1941.

George Mikan (DePaul 1942-1946, NBA 1946-1956), was a six foot, ten inch All-American center for the DePaul Blue Demons, ... Mikan’s dominating play in the NBA also led to a rule change. Due to the narrowness of the free throw lane, imposing centers such as Mikan dominated the lane, scoring at will. The NBA, at the onset of the 1951–52 season, widened the free throw lane from six feet to twelve feet, a change known as the “Mikan Rule”, forcing Mikan to start farther from the basket to give other players a chance.

Bill Russell (San Francisco 1953-1956, NBA 1956-1969), the six foot, ten inch All-American center for the San Francisco Dons, was one of the most dominant basketball players of his time. Russell was so dominant in the 1955 NCAA tournament that rule changes were enacted in college basketball to prevent a tall player such as Russell from gaining an advantage. In 1956, the NCAA widened the lane from six feet to twelve feet to make it more difficult for tall players to dominate the lane. The NFHS changed to a twelve foot lane in 1957 ...

Wilt Chamberlain (Kansas 1956-1958, NBA 1959-1973), the seven foot, one inch, 275 pound All-American Kansas Jayhawks center’s impact on the game of basketball was reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes ... Chamberlain is the reason why the lane in the NBA is sixteen feet wide, forcing him to start farther from the basket. It was twelve feet wide when Chamberlain entered the league in 1959 and he won both Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player honors by setting up shop in the low post, using his strength to lean in on opponents and lay the ball in the basket with his soft finger roll. After five years of watching Chamberlain score virtually at will, the NBA added four feet to the width of the lane in the 1964-65 season to make it a little tougher on him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:31pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Do we really need a history lesson on rules that were done over 50 years ago as it relates to today? Was anyone in the complete dark about these things?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Screenshots Of A Survey ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think these are just proposals that someone throws at the wall sometime to see if they stick.
You may be correct. These are only based on screenshots of a survey, probably similar to what the NFHS does in partnership with the various state athletic associations and their officials and possibly coaches.

It's, most likely, very early in the vetting process.

A lot can happen between the survey, a narrowing down of the rule change proposals based on the survey results, the final agenda on the table of the rule committee, and the final decisions of the rule committee.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:27pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The Game ...

Quote:
Was anyone in the complete dark about these things?
Maybe I live in a cave, but I never heard of Leroy Edwards, or the New York University Violets, before I wrote this article, and I've been a basketball player, coach, official, or fan for over fifty-five years.

Players like Edwards, and many others had a major impact on the basketball rules that we all use and take for granted in today's game, and they deserve some type recognition and credit.

Where better to give them a little recognition other than on a basketball officiating website?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 01:44pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Again why do we need to know all of this when no one asked? Good information if we care, but I think we should talk about if these are good proposals or why they should not see the light of day. The players involved several generations ago are not helping us with rules discussion that might be changed or just proposed for this coming year.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Evolution ...

Quote:
Again why do we need to know all of this when no one asked? Good information if we care, but I think we should talk about if these are good proposals or why they should not see the light of day. The players involved several generations ago are not helping us with rules discussion that might be changed or just proposed for this coming year.
Players evolve. The game evolves. Rules evolve.

I'm sure that there is at least one Forum member (or lurker) that found this interesting. I did when I originally researched it.

I've left plenty of room in this thread for those who wish to discuss these NCAA rule change proposals.

Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Recognition And Credit ...

Quote:
Again why do we need to know all of this when no one asked?
Again, because players like Edwards, and many others had a major impact on the basketball rules that we all use and take for granted in today's game, and they deserve some type recognition and credit.

One does not need to know this, and there will not be a quiz.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:27pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Again more off-topic mess that has nothing to do with the topic. Thanks. This is what frustrates so many and do not get why it is allowed to continue.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Define Off Topic ...

Quote:
Again more off-topic mess that has nothing to do with the topic.
The topic is rule changes. My post was regarding the history of one of the suggested rule changes (width of the lane) that included rationales. How can that have "nothing to do with the topic"?

And just what exactly is the harm done? I've left plenty of room in this thread (is there actually a limit) for those who wish to discuss these NCAA rule change proposals.

Last time I was attacked for off topic posts I received several private messages or emails from Forum members fully supporting me in my attempts to generate something on the Forum more than just simple, "dry", sometimes boring interpretations, and citing of rules, and definitions.

But you certainly have a valid point, not too far out in left field. To each his own, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I politely and respectfully disagree with said opinion.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 03:32pm.
Old Thu Apr 15, 2021, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Extra Stuff ...

Quote:
Again more off-topic mess that has nothing to do with the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The topic is rule changes. My post was regarding the history of one of the suggested rule changes (width of the lane) that included rationales. How can that have "nothing to do with the topic"?
Looking back, I could have done better job of editing out some of the "extra stuff".

Careless. Impatient. Hurried.

Fixed it.

Sorry (I'm apologizing for the original post, not the final more edited version). Thanks for the reminder to be a better Forum member.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1042854

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 15, 2021 at 05:32pm.