The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2020, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice citation Camron Rust.

8.6.2 SITUATION B: B1 fouls A1 just as the first quarter ends and then A1 retaliates and intentionally contacts B1. A1’s foul is a technical foul as it occurred during a dead ball. Team A is in the bonus. The officials by mistake administer the penalty for the technical foul before the free throw(s) by A1. RULING: The penalties should have been administered in the order in which the fouls occurred. However, since all merited free throws were attempted it does not constitute a correctable error situation. The second quarter will begin with an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-19-5c)
Curiously, in which quarter A1’s technical foul takes place is fully dependent upon the number of fouls Team B committed during the first quarter! If they have six or fewer, A1’s T starts the second quarter. I find it strange that when to penalize A1 depends upon the foul count of the opposing team.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2020, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Curiously, in which quarter A1’s technical foul takes place is fully dependent upon the number of fouls Team B committed during the first quarter! If they have six or fewer, A1’s T starts the second quarter. I find it strange that when to penalize A1 depends upon the foul count of the opposing team.
Yes, I put it in the “is what is” category. Qtr has beginning and end. If it’s 7th team foul there are free throws to be shot because of 1st qtr foul. Just the rule. If only 6 then ball dead and nothing left to do then T. Qtr really is over. I wouldn’t mind seeing them carry over the T throwin on cases where qtr hasn’t ended because of FTs. I think it’s more a product of saying when a qtr ends..If any of that makes sense...