The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Utopia ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
... any ball Thrown by Team A towards their basket and contacts the backboard is a Try.
I can only wish. That would solve a few problems.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Send me a note when something like this actually happens in a game of consequence...until then who cares either way. I personally have no whistle on this.
I hear comments like this from officials who quite frankly have piss-poor rules knowledge. They act like they're too good to get in the books. Then all of a sudden, something unexpected happens and they don't know how to apply the rule.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I hear comments like this from officials who quite frankly have piss-poor rules knowledge. They act like they're too good to get in the books. Then all of a sudden, something unexpected happens and they don't know how to apply the rule.
I do too. Oftentimes from officials that do some pretty high level games. In fact I would say that lower level officials are much better rules book wise. There is unexpected within reality and unexpected within the world of what ifs. Knowing the rules will get you out of pretty much any unexpected jam. Over analyzing such scenarios does more to confuse. But that’s just my opinion.

If you have a scenario where officials are split go with either option absent an interpretation from an assignor. However different assignor may have different expectations. It’s not an exact science no matter how much you may want it to be.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Two cents from the soccer ref: IMHO, here are two possible values from discussing "out there" scenarios.

1. In case that once-in-a-lifetime event happens on your field (or court).
2. The "out there" scenarios force you go back to the basic underpinnings of the rules (both in a book sense and a spirit of the rule sense) to try to work toward what the right answer is.

In my view, the meaningful value in discussing weird scenarios is #2, as it expands and cements core knowledge that we might not think about all the time.