The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Question

If a player A1 is shooting two freethrows and after making the first shot, throws the ball hard off the backboard with the rebound glancing off the front of the rim. Is this a playable ball or should the ref blow the whistle? I have seen this situation twice and called different both times.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Blow the whistle - it's the first of two shots, so there can be no rebound.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking misunderstood

Mark,

I think you miss understood. I stated after the making the first shot, A1 throws the ball hard off the backboard.

If a player A1 is shooting two freethrows and after making the first shot, throws the ball hard off the backboard with the rebound glancing off the front of the rim. Is this a playable ball or should the ref blow the whistle? I have seen this situation twice and called different both times.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: misunderstood

Quote:
Originally posted by latterdaysaint
Mark,

I think you miss understood. I stated after the making the first shot, A1 throws the ball hard off the backboard.

Oops - never claimed I could read!

In this case the ball is playable - as long as the ball hits the rim, it's a legal free throw.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks!
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 11:21am
Administrator

Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Mark,

In this case the ball is playable - as long as the ball hits the rim, it's a legal free throw.

Geez, Mark, I thought you missed the play because you were blind in one eye and could not see out of the other eye like the rest of us sports officials.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:
Quote:
Mark,

Wait a minute! Thought the ball had to hit the rim first and then could hit the backboard. In this situation, the ball hit the backboard and then the rim. Don't have my rule book with me, but I seem to recall it had to hit the rim first.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Wait a minute! Thought the ball had to hit the rim first and then could hit the backboard. In this situation, the ball hit the backboard and then the rim. Don't have my rule book with me, but I seem to recall it had to hit the rim first.
If that were true, a bank shot wouldn't be possible.
The ball has to hit the rim before the FT ends.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:

No - the only requirement is to touch rim at some point in the FT. The difference with backboard comes from the fact that players on the lane can move when the ball hits the backboard or rim, but the shooter and outside players must wait for the ball to hit the rim.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:
No - the only requirement is to touch rim at some point in the FT. The difference with backboard comes from the fact that players on the lane can move when the ball hits the backboard or rim, but the shooter and outside players must wait for the ball to hit the rim. [/B]
I believe the restrictions end for all players when the ball hits either the backboard or the rim, 9-1-9 Note.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: misunderstood

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
If that were true, a bank shot wouldn't be possible.
The ball has to hit the rim before the FT ends.
Was only thinking "free-throw" here, rather than a "regular" shot. I always thought it had to hit the rim first -- guess I was wrong. I know if you miss the rim/net/whatever on the first of a 1 and 1, you don't get the second free throw. Is there really anything that says it can hit the backboard first? Just curious because this is all I could find:

Rule 4, Section 20, Art. 3 says...The freethrow ends when the try is successful, when it is certain the try will not be successful, when the try touches the floor or any player, or when the ball becomes dead.

Rule 5, Section 2, Art. 2 says...A goal from a free throw counts one point for the free-thrower's team and is credited to the free thrower.

Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Don't gotta hit the rim first...don't gotta hit the rim at all!

...if the FT goes in.

Rule 9, Section 1
Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
a . The free-thrower shall release the try within 10 seconds and in such a way that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring or flange before the free throw ends.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Don't gotta hit the rim first...don't gotta hit the rim at all!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
...if the FT goes in.

Rule 9, Section 1
a . The free-thrower shall release the try within 10 seconds and in such a way that the ball enters the basket or touches the ring or flange before the free throw ends.
Good point about going in! However, and this is probably nit-picking, what if the ball does not go in or touch the ring or flange before the FT ends. In other words, what if it touches the backboard and DOES NOT (can't get the bold to work) touch the ring or flange? Is Art. 2a saying the ball MUST go in or touch the ring or flange? Am I making sense?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Don't gotta hit the rim first...don't gotta hit the rim at all!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
...if the FT goes in.

Rule 9, Section 1
Good point about going in! However, and this is probably nit-picking, what if the ball does not go in or touch the ring or flange before the FT ends. In other words, what if it touches the backboard and DOES NOT (can't get the bold to work) touch the ring or flange? Is Art. 2a saying the ball MUST go in or touch the ring or flange? Am I making sense?
If the ball does not (go in or hit the rim) before the FT ends, it's a violation. THis is most often seen when A tries to miss near the end of the game but throws the ball too hard off the backboard -- in fact it's this situation that the rule was designed to address.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Unhappy Re: Re: Re: Don't gotta hit the rim first...don't gotta hit the rim at all!

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
If the ball does not (go in or hit the rim) before the FT ends, it's a violation. THis is most often seen when A tries to miss near the end of the game but throws the ball too hard off the backboard -- in fact it's this situation that the rule was designed to address. [/B]
Having done many JV and below games this year, I can tell you that this is not the only time that one sees this violation...