The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
How have they violated the principle of verticality. They still have a spot on the floor. THeir legs (if that is what is making contact) are still within that cylinder. Which brings up another issue of controvery but lets stay on point. If you are saying they've gone down way early and failing legs are now the issue I get that.

Back to the point as you've stated I'm just apt to no call it and move on. The idea of whacking a kid or calling them for a foul for "protecting" themselves, especially around here with the recent emphasis on concussion training and protocols for all players. coaches and parents . . .just seems to be too big a can of worms for me to open.
Pantherdreams,

Kids sometimes begin falling early because there's a bit of fear in them. That's normal and at times it can happen to any kid. I agree with you that it isn't T worthy. T worthy needs to be really bad..

What i wanted to mention is that falling down early doesn't protect the defender, in my opinion. They may be doing it to protect themselves but it makes it worse, imo. If a player takes the contact on the chest, he can bounce off and away. The player who begins falling early, is now on his way down to the floor. The offensive player is now going to land on top of him and a good chance defender's head is going to bounce on the floor. (been there done that, which should explain some of my posts….)

I'd much rather take them the right way--waiting for solid contact. bouncing away. That's the way ive always coached it and the way everyone does coach it. Sometimes you do start falling early, it happens. thx
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Curiously, for those that are using the term verticality here and cylinder here you know those have specific meaning. And someone falling isn't vertical or within their cylinder.

Depending on how egregiously early the fall is its a block on any contact with an airborne shooter. Most of the times the defenders properly just brace for impact but if they are half way to the floor and then there's contact, I'm not no-calling it or calling a PC.
Yes, we do know what it means. Verticality & Cylinder is about moving out of your space INTO the opponent's space, not about moving part of your body away from the opponent. Nothing about falling back invades the opponent's space.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know that falling was the same as moving to maintain.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't know that falling was the same as moving to maintain.
Who moves towards who? That is all I want to know. If the defender isn't moving towards the opponent, they have not violated the rules of LGP and I have nothing. The fact that B is leaving a spot legally obtained doesn't make them illegal.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Who moves towards who? That is all I want to know. If the defender isn't moving towards the opponent, they have not violated the rules of LGP and I have nothing. The fact that B is leaving a spot legally obtained doesn't make them illegal.
Contact bodies on the floor I'm going to have a whistle, and I'm not going to be the first official to call a PC foul here.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Contact bodies on the floor I'm going to have a whistle, and I'm not going to be the first official to call a PC foul here.
Who caused the contact? A. Did B1's leaning back change anything? No. A1 was running into B1 no matter what.

Calling this a block is simply telling B that have to stand in there and take it despite of what the rules say.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Pantherdreams,

Kids sometimes begin falling early because there's a bit of fear in them. That's normal and at times it can happen to any kid. I agree with you that it isn't T worthy. T worthy needs to be really bad..

What i wanted to mention is that falling down early doesn't protect the defender, in my opinion. They may be doing it to protect themselves but it makes it worse, imo. If a player takes the contact on the chest, he can bounce off and away. The player who begins falling early, is now on his way down to the floor. The offensive player is now going to land on top of him and a good chance defender's head is going to bounce on the floor. (been there done that, which should explain some of my posts….)

I'd much rather take them the right way--waiting for solid contact. bouncing away. That's the way ive always coached it and the way everyone does coach it. Sometimes you do start falling early, it happens. thx

Interesting. Now we are really off topic but a lot of schools around here will bring in a gymnastics coach or martial arts instructor to work on controlled falls. The theory being that controlling the direction and impact of energy is safer for potential brain injury than trying to brace and absorb energy while controlling head.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Interesting. Now we are really off topic but a lot of schools around here will bring in a gymnastics coach or martial arts instructor to work on controlled falls. The theory being that controlling the direction and impact of energy is safer for potential brain injury than trying to brace and absorb energy while controlling head.
While im not a gymnast or martial arts instructor, i think ive made it clear before that i am a rocket scientist. You may find this hard to believe but....i dont know anything about impact of energy etc. Im sure gymnastics stuff is helpful but the x factor (that's science talk we rocket scientists use) is the offensive player. When defender falls early, it's almost guaranteed the offense will fall on top of him. That hurts. (Im having flashbacks). Grab a few friends and one person you dont like and have him fall down early a few times. (Scientific experiment). That's what i have found over the years. If I stay up and get hit then my body can go backwards and then down. I can get away from offensive player. My head for sure can get away from him. Of course there are variables (more science talk). Size of players etc.

But in general, I believe it is safer to stand in and get hit. Take care. Thx