View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 08, 2016, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
We've debated this before on here, but here's the play that I had last night and want to hear thoughts...

NFHS: Secondary defender B1 establishes LGP under the basket. Before being contacted by ball handler A1, B1 begins to fall backwards such that he does not "take" the contact and that A1 doesn't initiate any contact.

We know that a defender can turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact, but in my judgment that's not what B1 was doing. I ruled a blocking foul. However, I'm not convinced that the rules necessarily support my decision even though I've seen this play adjudicated identically in other games (NCAA and NFHS). My justification is that B1's action put airborne A1 in a dangerous position returning to the floor.

Is there anything in the rules that supports a blocking foul on this play?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
But there is no rules support for a blocking foul without contact simply for falling down before contact in an effort to draw a charge.
There is no rules support for a blocking foul even with contact. Defender was in LGP and is allowed to turn or duck or back away....period. A1's actions put A1 in a dangerous position, not B1's. B1's actions merely reduced any impact.