View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Maybe not entirely. Turn, duck, or back away....sure, that's permitted and maintains LGP. But to back away legally assumes you remain vertical. So if the defender keeps his feet planted but begins to sink his butt and lean back like the Tower of Pisa, and initial contact occurs as the offensive player gets tangled up in the defender's lower legs, the defender has violated the principle of verticality (Ref: 4-45-6) and this could be a block.

To align with the majority of opinions, I, too, more often than not have a no-call here. I'm just saying that I've seen it called a block and called it a block myself for the reason stated above.
How have they violated the principle of verticality. They still have a spot on the floor. THeir legs (if that is what is making contact) are still within that cylinder. Which brings up another issue of controvery but lets stay on point. If you are saying they've gone down way early and failing legs are now the issue I get that.

Back to the point as you've stated I'm just apt to no call it and move on. The idea of whacking a kid or calling them for a foul for "protecting" themselves, especially around here with the recent emphasis on concussion training and protocols for all players. coaches and parents . . .just seems to be too big a can of worms for me to open.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!