The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I onced umpires with this guy who is was one the better the umpires in our association. I had plate on the 1st game so he had plate on the second. Between games we had 30 to 40 minutes to rest & chat. I went to facilites & when I came back he was asleep! So with 15 minutes to ready I woke him. He was sleepish and groggy while we walked to the game almost sleep walking. But once we walked over the line ....BAM, he was awake and on top of the game. Like 3 pots of coffee just hit him.

My questions is this: Can you recover from a nap like that? It was like night & day. I've never seen that before.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
I do it everyday at work. sleep for 20 minutes on lunch, and about 2 minutes after I wake up, I am revived.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
my soldiers did it all the time. ask a combat vet if he has heard of this - I would wager most would say yes.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

I call it a power nap. Did it all the time in the Corp. A nice 20-30 minute nap and you wake up refreshed and recharged.

I kinda miss those naps now.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
My questions is this: Can you recover from a nap like that?
Hell yes you can, especially when you have an hour or more between games, but it's not enough time to go home and relax. Find a cool shade tree, chill in your camping chair and snooze. I don't do it often, but on those 3 game Saturdays with 9 inning games at 9, 12:30 and 4, there's normally an hour - if not more - between contests.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11

It sure beats sleeping on the bases,and goodness
knows I've had partners who seemed to be!!!