The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

fALLING OUT OF BOUNDS

I know this was talked about several times but i did a search and can not find the threads.

I have been looking through the case book and can not find the case situation in regards to falling out of bounds and calling a time out.

anyone know what section it is in?

Thank you
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Falling out of bounds in allowed at all levels. Being airborne and calling a timeout is not allowed in NCAA and the NBA. NF Rules has no such rule and maybe why you cannot find anything about this topic. All a player needs is control of the ball and the can call a timeout.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Falling out of bounds in allowed at all levels. Being airborne and calling a timeout is not allowed in NCAA and the NBA. NF Rules has no such rule and maybe why you cannot find anything about this topic. All a player needs is control of the ball and the can call a timeout.

Peace

You are correct, that is probably why I could not find it. I was working with a partner i had never worked with before the other night. He did not allow a time out asked for by a player as he was falling out of bounds. The coach got a little upset but is one of those rare quiet coaches.

During a time out I had asked my partner what his reasoning behind the call was. He said you cant call time out unless both feet were inbounds. I said that i had never heard of such a rule in NFHS rules.

Im not the type to fully believe someone spouting off rules unless they can back it up with a rule or case book number. So i thought i would ask here after not finding it.

Thanks for the information!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

How about this?

5.8.3 SITUATION D: A1 or A2 requests a time-out: (a) while airborne A1 is holding the ball; (b) while A1's throw-in is in flight toward A2; or (c) when the ball is on the floor at A1's disposal for a throw-in. RULING: The request is granted in (a) and (c), but denied in (b), as there is no player control while the ball is loose between players.