The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

How would you have handled this situation?

This is the first time in my career I've really blown up on someone. At the time I was too pissed off to probably take the best course of action, but here we go BV game:

Great game and both teams were ranked high in the state. Other two officials on the crew were a 17 year guy and a 13 year guy. So, ideally, I'd think they'd know the rules.

.2 on the clock in the 4th and the home team has a throw-in in the front court and they are down by two points. A1, the dude throwing it in, throws a prayer of a lob around the free throw line. A2 jumps up and taps the ball into the basket. The trail who administered the throw-in starts screaming no basket and then proceeds to run out of the gym. At this point, having a perfect view of the entire play, I think I had to of missed something on the throw-in(Maybe a tip? No one was defending the throw-in, but I guess there is the extremely small chance a player was invisible to me). Me and the other official are confused so I tell him to stay with the teams and keep them on the floor while I figure out what happened. Calmed the coach/fans/players down before I left.

I get to the locker room, at this point trying to stay composed, and ask the official why the basket was no good. He said since there was less than .3 it was impossible for a team to score, even with a tip. He said by rule there needs to be .3 seconds on the clock to allow a team to tip it in. He made some moronic remark about how long he'd been around and I completely lost it. I have no idea why screaming at him worked but he got back out onto the court and we finished the game. The language I used got me busted by my assigner. I'd guess mostly because the official wasn't the only one who heard me. Thought I was alone with him, but apparently the wresting team or something was close by.

I'm aware I handled this horribly. I'm not looking to hear about how horrible it was, but what others' would've done in the same situation.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would've had a huddle with my crew before the throw-in to make sure everyone was on the same page with what could be a legal score and what could not. Especially with the person responsible for the last shot. This is the norm around here when there is .3 or less time on the clock.

Last edited by Smitty; Thu Jan 21, 2016 at 12:27pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

So....what happened after your fit? You still have a partner on the court and some calmed down coaches. How was it handled after you came back from the locker room?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

so much is wrong with what he did.

1. I never stick around, but you won't see me in the locker room while my partners are still on the court (unless I've waited long enough and the partner is still thanking the table crew, the AD, the trainers....

2. Not knowing this rule is unbelievable to me.

Yeah, you probably handled it poorly, but only because you don't know who's within earshot. Maybe a "softer" approach would be to quietly tell him to either get back onto the court or pull out his rule book and THEN get back onto the court.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:35pm
Stubborn Member

If there is less than a second I always make sure we all know the player can either catch or tap a try for goal.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I would've had a huddle with my crew before the throw-in to make sure everyone was on the same page with what could be a legal score and what could not. Especially with the person responsible for the last shot. This is the norm around here when there is .3 or less time on the clock.

So....what happened after your fit? You still have a partner on the court and some calmed down coaches. How was it handled after you came back from the locker room?
This would've saved a giant headache. Big oops indeed, but thanks for saying it.

We came back out and had OT. I got both coaches and just gave a vague, "We had a confusion about the last score and didn't think it'd change the outcome of the game." Luckily they both cut me a break and didn't ask for specifics. The OT was pretty awkward, for me. I had calmed down at that point but felt 'in the tank' and never really got out of it. Other two officials did great and ended up with a 6-point win by the away team. Home teams PG was fouled out and it hurt them.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:08pm
TODO: creative title here

I think the biggest thing you could've done differently would've been having a discussion during the timeout that occurred just prior to this throw-in (assuming that there was a timeout, which, based on the description of what happened, there almost certainly was).

Make sure everybody's on the same page as far as who has last-second shot, if the shot can be a try or if it has to be a tap, can the thrower run along the end line, and any other potentially relevant information. Also gives us a chance to take a deep breath and relax just a little bit... when I get in these types of situations, I like to conclude with a "I hope you guys are having fun, because i sure am" just to help keep things loose.

Not sure how this guy would've reacted to such a conference, but at least you could've hashed out the mistaken rule without the "postgame/not really postgame" antics.

In other words, basically what Smitty said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
He said since there was less than .3 it was impossible for a team to score, even with a tip. He said by rule there needs to be .3 seconds on the clock to allow a team to tip it in.
Rebuttal to this "interpretation": If this was actually true, why would we even need to play the last 0.2 seconds? Just end the game right then and be done with it.

Last edited by jTheUmp; Thu Jan 21, 2016 at 01:13pm.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Rebuttal to this "interpretation": If this was actually true, why would we even need to play the last 0.2 seconds? Just end the game right then and be done with it.

Agreed 100% and you are not incorrect in your reasoning for using this rebuttal, but I could see him saying there could be a violation or foul before time starts. This guy sounds like a real cowboy.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
The language I used got me busted by my assigner.
FTR, I can only imagine some of the language used around my area would have been pretty similar to what you used. I'm also guessing this other official is not the one who turned you in, and now that the situation has come to light, I'm guessing he's going to be in more "trouble" than you are.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:46pm
Esteemed Participant

The biggest thing to not do is lose your temper. That's what led to you getting into trouble, right? Next time a partner does something totally stupid, don't lose your temper. Just deal with it and move on.

Had I been the one to go to the locker room, I honestly would have started laughing at him when he gave his interp, and then just told him that we were going to OT and he could join us if he wanted to or we would finish the game two-person.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unless your health is threatened, I would not get upset over any of this. It is a sport that involves people that makes mistakes.

What should have happen is a discussion before the throw-in was started about the situation. Otherwise, leave it alone after that. If anything I might have had a conversation before we left the floor if it was that bad.

I never understand why people get so upset over things like this because at the end of the day, "They can't eat you." If the official made the mistake, then he will have to live with that mistake more than you if you tried to help. Sometimes just a quick talk snaps people into place. He might have doubted his understanding on the rule and then you could have gotten it right.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the biggest thing you could've done differently would've been having a discussion during the timeout that occurred just prior to this throw-in (assuming that there was a timeout, which, based on the description of what happened, there almost certainly was).
And even if there was not a timeout, say there was a shot attempt that was then batted OOB, leaving the 0.2 on the clock, I would have no issue at all with a 5 second officials huddle, maybe even just the C and the T, to be absolutely certain everyone is on the same page.

I'm surprised that the guy even came back to the court, if he was so sure and he'd be around so long, then I would've guessed he would've been pretty stubborn too.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the others that a quick conference before the play would have been best, but who knows what the guy would have said during the conference.

I would have been angry - not so much because of the botched ruling - but because he sprinted to the locker room and left his two partners on the floor.

Once the OT ended, what was the post game like?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I agree with the others that a quick conference before the play would have been best, but who knows what the guy would have said during the conference.

I would have been angry - not so much because of the botched ruling - but because he sprinted to the locker room and left his two partners on the floor.

Once the OT ended, what was the post game like?
I imagine it was quick.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Make sure everybody's on the same page as far as who has last-second shot, if the shot can be a try or if it has to be a tap, can the thrower run along the end line, and any other potentially relevant information. Also gives us a chance to take a deep breath and relax just a little bit... when I get in these types of situations, I like to conclude with a "I hope you guys are having fun, because i sure am" just to help keep things loose.

Not sure how this guy would've reacted to such a conference, but at least you could've hashed out the mistaken rule without the "postgame/not really postgame" antics.

In other words, basically what Smitty said.

I worked a boys varsity game at a school...I was standing in the tunnel at the top of a flight of stairs and the clock stopped with 0.2 seconds left and a 1 point game. I took a few steps down to let my partners (who were stretching) know were were about to take the floor and here come the officials....they used this "interpretation" -- they figured that nothing could happen since it was 0.3 or under.

By this time all three of the officials were on the stairs and the teams were shaking hands.

The amazing thing is that nobody complained at all. I did tell the crew why that wasn't the right thing to do, however.