View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

How would you have handled this situation?

This is the first time in my career I've really blown up on someone. At the time I was too pissed off to probably take the best course of action, but here we go BV game:

Great game and both teams were ranked high in the state. Other two officials on the crew were a 17 year guy and a 13 year guy. So, ideally, I'd think they'd know the rules.

.2 on the clock in the 4th and the home team has a throw-in in the front court and they are down by two points. A1, the dude throwing it in, throws a prayer of a lob around the free throw line. A2 jumps up and taps the ball into the basket. The trail who administered the throw-in starts screaming no basket and then proceeds to run out of the gym. At this point, having a perfect view of the entire play, I think I had to of missed something on the throw-in(Maybe a tip? No one was defending the throw-in, but I guess there is the extremely small chance a player was invisible to me). Me and the other official are confused so I tell him to stay with the teams and keep them on the floor while I figure out what happened. Calmed the coach/fans/players down before I left.

I get to the locker room, at this point trying to stay composed, and ask the official why the basket was no good. He said since there was less than .3 it was impossible for a team to score, even with a tip. He said by rule there needs to be .3 seconds on the clock to allow a team to tip it in. He made some moronic remark about how long he'd been around and I completely lost it. I have no idea why screaming at him worked but he got back out onto the court and we finished the game. The language I used got me busted by my assigner. I'd guess mostly because the official wasn't the only one who heard me. Thought I was alone with him, but apparently the wresting team or something was close by.

I'm aware I handled this horribly. I'm not looking to hear about how horrible it was, but what others' would've done in the same situation.