The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Bummer dude!
Everything you did was perfect right up till you humiliated that guy in the locker room... Just be grateful he wasn't having a really bad day and decided to go back at you - would have been a real mess; regardless of who was right or who would have won the pissing contest.

Its over now - I applaud you for even bringing it up on this forum... I have new pregame material.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I imagine it was quick.
Just like the experience I had some years back that has now been viewed over 48K times.

I never once raised my voice, though.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:32pm
Stubborn Member

Is this rule that obscure?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Just like the experience I had some years back that has now been viewed over 48K times.

I never once raised my voice, though.
True, but if it gets posted again you have no one to blame but yourself.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 05:25pm
Back from the DL

Take the heat, own it, learn, and move on.

I think the important thing is the crew got it right in the end. It may have been worse had you not called him on it.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 05:32pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
True, but if it gets posted again you have no one to blame but yourself.

Somebody needs to post it since there are new guys who have no clue what y'all are talking about.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Somebody needs to post it since there are new guys who have no clue what y'all are talking about.
Agreed. I'm always up for learning from (what sounds like) others' mistakes.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Agreed. I'm always up for learning from (what sounds like) others' mistakes.
Here's a link

One of our own was the official administering this throw in, not the one who made the call.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, can you remind us: Were there ANY repercussions for the official who went all Al Haig on that play? Any scolding form the assignor, any reduction in quality assignments, any similar tales pop up of him fouling something up?

This isn't necessarily to beat up on him. (He does that to himself just fine.) Just wondering how things unfolded.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 06:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

How would you have handled this situation?

Nothing really happened other than I got a phone call from that league's assigner. I answered his questions best I could....this was before I became a YouTube star. His concern was that we were seen openly arguing on the court - I didn't realize how calm I actually appeared until the video materialized. How I didn't explode at the time is a mystery.

Not a word was said in the locker room. We drove separately - when he went in the shower, I dressed and left.

BTW, that was over 6 years ago. I spent 5 of those years avoiding saying anything about that night. Recently I realized I don't care -- I did nothing wrong.

Finally, for those of you who think you'd have stepped up and fixed things, you have no idea how you'd handle something that you'd never expect would happen in a million years.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nothing really happened other than I got a phone call from that league's assigner. I answered his questions best I could....this was before I became a YouTube star. His concern was that we were seen openly arguing on the court - I didn't realize how calm I actually appeared until the video materialized. How I didn't explode at the time is a mystery.

Not a word was said in the locker room. We drove separately - when he went in the shower, I dressed and left.

BTW, that was over 6 years ago. I spent 5 of those years avoiding saying anything about that night. Recently I realized I don't care -- I did nothing wrong.

Finally, for those of you who think you'd have stepped up and fixed things, you have no idea how you'd handle something that you'd never expect would happen in a million years.
You did the best with a crappy hand. I would black line that official before I got home. That is also probably the only time if a coach were to ask me or say something about my partner I'd leave him on his island.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Your restraint was indeed admirable, if not super-human. I think we're unanimous on that point.

And while I can see an assignor's wish to have shorter officials conferences, it's a bit mind-boggling that THAT was his biggest concern after this episode. Unless he privately gnashed teeth and/or read this guy the riot act away from you out of some sort of noble managerial gesture.

This partner, on the other hand, has had to have felt some heat after being on YouTube, etc. so hopefully that's done some good, somehow. After all, he put himself in this terrible, indefensible position. At some point there has to be some sheepishness about this on his part, right?
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question for the OP; Who was the Referee on the crew?
If the official who left, then he needs to be convinced by the other two crew members to change his call.
If you or the partner who stayed on the court, then you have the authority to change the ruling on the last second try and inform the third official. Let him either return for OT or leave as he desires.
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This would've saved a giant headache. Big oops indeed, but thanks for saying it.

We came back out and had OT. I got both coaches and just gave a vague, "We had a confusion about the last score and didn't think it'd change the outcome of the game." Luckily they both cut me a break and didn't ask for specifics. The OT was pretty awkward, for me. I had calmed down at that point but felt 'in the tank' and never really got out of it. Other two officials did great and ended up with a 6-point win by the away team. Home teams PG was fouled out and it hurt them.
What does this even mean and why did you choose to say this to the coaches?

IMO that's a terrible explanation and its patently false as deciding whether or not to count a score in this situation most certainly "changes the outcome of the game."
Old Thu Jan 21, 2016, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Rich this post brought up your play.

@jpgc99: I just left. For the first time ever in a HS game I didn't even change except shoes. Put on my coat, zipped it up, left. I'm grateful for the responses and they've helped. At the time when the game was over I was still frustrated and didn't want to open my mouth in case I said something stupid I'd regret. Jrut brought up a good point, but for whatever reason I just snapped this game and never want it to happen again.

@Nevada: I was the R. I didn't want to outright change the call without talking to the calling official first in case I missed something.

@VaTerp: I winged an answer I thought to be the best at the time. While you may think it's false/terrible/etc, I was okay with it given all the other stuff going on. My entire point was to make it obvious I didn't want to get into details but we screwed up. As angry as I was at the other official there's no way I'm throwing a partner to the coaches.