The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I feel More for the kids, they have to answer questions daily about this stupidity by their coach!
The official is now the hero and the coach is the goat and rightly so; because he made an enormous mistake.
So now what do you gain by throwing him in jail for a night... Assuming he can make bail...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
I feel More for the kids, they have to answer questions daily about this stupidity by their coach!
The official is now the hero and the coach is the goat and rightly so; because he made an enormous mistake.
So now what do you gain by throwing him in jail for a night... Assuming he can make bail...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He now has an arrest record that he has to answer to for background checks. He's teaching (special ed, from what I have red) kids in school, and I'd be shocked if this was his first time physically losing his temper.

And physical assault in the course of performing his duties is not going to be easy to move through. I'm ok with that. I want this to be a felony, too.

What's gained? Maybe, just maybe, a hot head stops having a chance to teach kids.

What's gained? Maybe, just maybe, the next hot head realizes he doesn't get away with acting like a 5 year old child just because he gets caught up in the heat of the competition.

He's a damned adult and should be expected to act accordingly.

And if an official head butted a coach in the midst of a heated discussion, I think we'd all be calling for charges there, too. Assaulting people has consequences in the real world, and the basketball court is not an exemption to the real world.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You want this coach to suffer huh?
The humiliation of this being talked about, possibly losing his job and having to explain this to his family isn't enough?
Would you be critical of the official if he chose to forgive this coach, shakes his hand and moved on with his life...?
Life is about the choices we make and the consequences resulting from those choices. The coach chose to commit a crime. I hoped the official was going to choose to start the process so the idiot...I mean educator/coach...on second thought...IDIOT would have to face ALL the consequences of the choice he made. Sometimes, when a person makes a choice the consequences are minor...sometimes the consequences are extremely harsh, cost the person their current career for the remainder of their life and remove them from society for a period of time.

To the person who has to pay that steep a price I say "Life is hard. It is even harder when you are an idiot and make stupid decisions" (probably butchered that...apologies to the originator).
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is even more reason he needs to be gone and in jail. If this had happened in a bar, we would not be talking about what should nor what should be happening here. We would be making it clear that the person had violated the law should be prosecuted. This person is supposed to be an example for his kids and school.

And since you do not know what will be gained, he needs to have on his actual record that anytime he applies for a job that someone can see he was convicted of a crime. And since he is around kids, that should matter. There are people all over that have even a misdemeanor violation that have to explain to an employer why they are convicted. Maybe that will help deter others from acting like they cannot behave during a sporting event. As I have said, if officials started attacking everyone that said something bad to us or did something we did not like, we would not get a pass I am sure. They would talk about us as an authority figure and we would have to pay for our actions.

To me the playing field/court should be the last place this stuff happens. It is not like the world is going to come crashing down because you do not like a block/charge call. It is one thing to come onto the court, but it is another to even think of touching that person and not even the person that had anything to do with the call.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can see that. I was more addressing those who were writing, "nothing justifies the assault, but the call was wrong." I'm just not interested in discussing the accuracy of his call.
The point of that is that if he got the call right, none of this would have ever happened.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:47pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Recognizing out of control people and trying to stay an arm's length away from them sounds easy enough on it's surface, but the video clearly shows what happens when an out of control person doesn't want to remain an arm's length away. It's not always up to us.

Good point though about being "right" not preventing you from getting injured. Kind of like the pedestrian in the crosswalk who is legally in the right, but still gets killed when a car runs over him.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You want this coach to suffer huh?
The humiliation of this being talked about, possibly losing his job and having to explain this to his family isn't enough?
Would you be critical of the official if he chose to forgive this coach, shakes his hand and moved on with his life...?
No, internet "humiliation" is not enough. He committed a crime. This forum - and the internet as a whole - is not the place where punishments are handed out for criminal infractions.

I'm not criticizing the official, but I do think it is a mistake to not press charges. As others have said, this is about more than just this isolated incident. This is about setting a precedent that this behavior will not be tolerated.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The point of that is that if he got the call right, none of this would have ever happened.
So what? I don't see how this is relevant at all.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yep, and I stopped caring about that with the assault. I'm willing to discuss that, within reason, when a coach gets a technical foul after a missed call.

Assault and battery changes that for me.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Recognizing out of control people and trying to stay an arm's length away from them sounds easy enough on it's surface, but the video clearly shows what happens when an out of control person doesn't want to remain an arm's length away. It's not always up to us.

Good point though about being "right" not preventing you from getting injured. Kind of like the pedestrian in the crosswalk who is legally in the right, but still gets killed when a car runs over him.
Well, the referee entered what my karate sensei calls close or elbow and knee range. This is partly because of his own movements and partly because of the coaches'. This is closer than arm's length (punching range).

If you stay more than arm's length, they have to move to punch you (and really move to head butt you) which gives you time to retreat, dodge, or block the attack (I recommend retreat). It's also a distance which is hard to cover on impulse so it should eliminate some "heat of the moment" attacks.

The moral is to stand off from upset people and move away from them when they move towards you. If this referee had started just a few inches further away, he would likely have avoided the attack. His reflexes were good. He just didn't have enough time.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Like Rut said....I so wish there was a Like/Love button! So much good conversation going on.

My 2 cents...

1. Block/Charge calls can often go either way and unless you are positioned to see clearly between the 2 players your chances are higher to get it wrong. Block/Charge in this game....Who cares. Bodies on the floor we have to come out with something.

2. No excuse for the coaches behavior. Period.

3. After watching this footage I'm definitely going to make sure I take a step or 2 away from an angry coach or player BEFORE I give a Technical (as self preservation should be #1).

4. I watched the video from the beginning of the game and it appears the official who was assaulted performed the toss, so its possible he was the R and possibly the reason he wanted to help the L with the Technical. Just a thought.

5. I have NO respect for any coach, player, administrator, or fan that assaults officials because its a cowardly act. They know we are less likely to physically or verbally fight back because of our role.

6. I'm with the I hope our fellow official presses charges as this event will affect ALL officials. Unfortunately going through the legal process is the only way we can protect ourselves....

Be safe Ladies and Gentlemen!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I took your verbiage in your post to be directed at me but fair enough. I've slept and backed off the ledge.
All good- Happy New Year!
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can see that. I was more addressing those who were writing, "nothing justifies the assault, but the call was wrong." I'm just not interested in discussing the accuracy of his call.

Quote:
The call could have been 100% correct and still evoked the same reaction.

Coaches' opinions of plays are quite often wrong.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Well, the referee entered what my karate sensei calls close or elbow and knee range. This is partly because of his own movements and partly because of the coaches'. This is closer than arm's length (punching range).

If you stay more than arm's length, they have to move to punch you (and really move to head butt you) which gives you time to retreat, dodge, or block the attack (I recommend retreat). It's also a distance which is hard to cover on impulse so it should eliminate some "heat of the moment" attacks.

The moral is to stand off from upset people and move away from them when they move towards you. If this referee had started just a few inches further away, he would likely have avoided the attack. His reflexes were good. He just didn't have enough time.
If he'd had karate training, he would have known that.

On the other hand, the coach did have to move to hit him. He moved quite a distance, actually, pretty quickly.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Coaches' opinions of plays are quite often wrong.
Shocked I tell ya. Shocked I am!

Maybe in Hampton Roads, but not up here! Just ask em, they'll tell ya!